Author Topic: Ex-Celtics reporter fired for comments  (Read 7889 times)

Re: Ex-Celtics reporter fired for comments
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2016, 02:20:25 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Googled Emily Austin hey..

Anyway, can someone help me out with the Maths thing with Asians? I get that saying ape **** to black people is offensive - apes are stupid. I get that saying "****" with venom is offensive. There is a historical context of hatred being associated with these slurs. All slurs of people which parody some human feature that can be caricatured with hate or ridicule is **** and makes me angry. But the Asian one?? Can someone explain it? There is no ****ing universe where you should not be proud as **** about being good at Maths. Help me out here.
It can be used to offend Asians that are not good at math.

« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2016, 05:08:04 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
I just remembered this old clip of Bill Burr talking about racism in the media and I think it is very apt to Austen's situation/very funny.

https://youtu.be/_BevNkLH-q8

« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2016, 08:29:06 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I just remembered this old clip of Bill Burr talking about racism in the media and I think it is very apt to Austen's situation/very funny.

Note that the network doesn't say she's been terminated, just that she's "currently not scheduled" for anything...
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2016, 08:38:44 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
and yet Don Rickles is a national treasure.
I'm not saying Don Rickles is a a bad guy per se. But I see this as apples and oranges. The man is 86 and his best friend is Bob Newhart.

The top 100 comics list by comedy central was bizarre. They have Rickles at 17 and Joan Rivers in the mid 40s.

Let me put it this way.....Ty Cobb was almost as huge a jerk as Thomas Jefferson but they both get their place in the world.

« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2016, 09:34:57 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310

Note that the network doesn't say she's been terminated, just that she's "currently not scheduled" for anything...

haha yes I noticed that too! Maybe Emily can be the sports reporter for the 'disgraced channel' lol

« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2016, 09:48:35 AM »

Offline Dchuck

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 72

Anyway, can someone help me out with the Maths thing with Asians? I get that saying ape **** to black people is offensive - apes are stupid. I get that saying "****" with venom is offensive. There is a historical context of hatred being associated with these slurs. All slurs of people which parody some human feature that can be caricatured with hate or ridicule is **** and makes me angry. But the Asian one?? Can someone explain it? There is no ****ing universe where you should not be proud as **** about being good at Maths. Help me out here.

Or offend Asian's who are grouped with Chinese, who are actually Oriental

« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2016, 11:02:58 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
She made several terrible comments, but I thought this one was appropriate for tonight's Finals game"

"Austen, 27, also referred to Cleveland Cavaliers basketball player Kevin Love as a "little b - - - -.''

Well, at least she knows bball...
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2016, 12:19:04 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I just remember her being in better shape than Sullinger in a workout before the season.

« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2016, 12:25:23 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

Rather, it is making a universalized statement about individuals based upon racial discourses. The logic and assumptions are exactly the same as those that are demeaning. "This racial group does X because that is what their race does."

Racism plain and simple. Asians are not genetically wired to be better at math than other groups.  Look at the Finns. No "race" is wired for math or anything else such as that.

Indeed, race is simply a social construction that has no basis in reality. But that is a discussion for another time.

I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2016, 12:47:31 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Rather, it is making a universalized statement about individuals based upon racial discourses. The logic and assumptions are exactly the same as those that are demeaning. "This racial group does X because that is what their race does."

Racism plain and simple. Asians are not genetically wired to be better at math than other groups.  Look at the Finns. No "race" is wired for math or anything else such as that.

Indeed, race is simply a social construction that has no basis in reality. But that is a discussion for another time.

exactly !!! It takes away from the individuals hard work and effort to excel, it is just like saying blacks are wired to be good at basketball or Caucasians in swimming as if blacks do not have to work hard to excel in basketball, or Caucasians do not work hard in swimming.

« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2016, 12:51:28 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
i thought everything she said was pretty funny. People need to lighten up. But what can we expect from a society of safe spaces? She should have known better.
The only color that matters is GREEN