Author Topic: Why should Durant leave OKC?  (Read 11217 times)

Re: Why should Durant leave OKC?
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2016, 10:58:09 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
And to answer the question, Durant should leave if he wants to pretend that the single biggest reason the Thunder were eliminated wasn't because he absolutely choked down the stretch in Game 6.

« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2016, 11:20:38 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
  So why not give them Bradley for a first rounder next year, and maybe their second, as well?  He'd be perfect there and the guy deserves to be on a contender...
They could also possibly benefit from signing Evan Turner and have him run the show off the bench, but what would really make them an actual team, imo, is if they put Dakari Johnson in the starting lineup. 
1. Id say the primary reason we dont give them Avery Bradley for a pick in the late twenties would be that thats a horrible trade for us.
2. Your solution is Dakari Johnson. The second round pick who has yet to play a minute in the NBA.That is your solution...
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2016, 11:30:44 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Because he can get free crab legs here:

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2016, 11:31:13 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
The absolutely dumbest thing you can do is when trying to argue Westbrook isn't a #1-caliber player is point to the fact that the Thunder missed the playoffs last year without Durant. Westbrook himself missed 15 games on top of the slew of injuries to literally every single player save for Waiters and one or two unimportant bench reserves.  They went 40-27 with Westbrook playing, which is a 49-win pace over the whole season. They missed the playoffs on the basis of a tiebreaker. Try again.

Also, the fact that Who insists on dying on this strange "Donovan is a terrible coach" hill after watching the playoffs is just bizarre.

Is anyone really arguing that Westbrook isn't a number one option himself? I know that I certainly am not, because that's the entire point of my argument for why he should leave - him and Durant are both 1A options that don't fill well together.

And as for the Durant choking comment, you have to admit that it was just as much Westbrook choking as Durant. I mean, the last three games of the series (all losses for OKC) he went 11-28, 10-27, and 7-21.

« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2016, 12:03:00 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
Westbrook and Durant both choked, yes. But OKC losing that series had less to do with "KD and Westbrook need more help!" and more to do with "KD and Westbrook really should not have thrown away Games 5 and 6 with garbage hero ball, because their supporting cast was actually showing up for most of that series."

Also, hahahaha, yeah, Dakari Johnson totally needs to replace Ibaka or Adams in the starting lineup.

« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2016, 12:27:36 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
The main reason I see as to why Durant would leave OKC would be because he has lost faith in the franchise. Like all greats, he wants a ring. If he feels like OKC won't really ever get over the hump, then I can see him signing somewhere else. I doubt money is much of a concern. These superstars make way more money through endorsements rather than their salaries anyway.

But honestly, his team beat the Spurs and brought the historic Warriors to game 7. They were up 3-1 at one point in the series. I don't see how he could find any real reason to leave. He doesn't strike me as a guy who'd join the Spurs or the Warriors. He feels more like a KG than a Lebron. Im sure he'd love to win one for OKC.
- LilRip

« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2016, 12:59:24 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
The main reason I see as to why Durant would leave OKC would be because he has lost faith in the franchise. Like all greats, he wants a ring. If he feels like OKC won't really ever get over the hump, then I can see him signing somewhere else. I doubt money is much of a concern. These superstars make way more money through endorsements rather than their salaries anyway.

But honestly, his team beat the Spurs and brought the historic Warriors to game 7. They were up 3-1 at one point in the series. I don't see how he could find any real reason to leave. He doesn't strike me as a guy who'd join the Spurs or the Warriors. He feels more like a KG than a Lebron. Im sure he'd love to win one for OKC.

I think you basically stated the biggest reason right there - they're just not able to get over the hump. They were up 3-1 in the WCF and choked it away, which has always been the knock on them, especially this year.

I agree with your assessment about his personality, though. I think there's absolutely no way that  he joins GS, who shouldn't really want him anyways, though I'm more worried about the Spurs.

« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2016, 01:08:00 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
They were up 3-1 in the WCF and choked it away, which has always been the knock on them, especially this year.

OKC choking was never a thing until this year, so I'm confused by this assertion. The only time you can argue they choked before this season was in the Finals in 2012 and I wouldn't even say that considering they were going against a far more experienced Heat team that just had the bitter experience of losing in the Finals the year before.

« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2016, 01:28:59 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210

I think you basically stated the biggest reason right there - they're just not able to get over the hump. They were up 3-1 in the WCF and choked it away, which has always been the knock on them, especially this year.

I agree with your assessment about his personality, though. I think there's absolutely no way that  he joins GS, who shouldn't really want him anyways, though I'm more worried about the Spurs.

I think the reason he'd leave is, 1) Westbrook is leaving when his contract is up and going to L.A., 2) in the West to win a title he is going to have to go through two of Golden State, San Antonio, and the L.A. Clippers to get to the finals, EVERY YEAR, 3) Minnesota and Portland might be on the rise in the West as well, 4) even if he does get to the finals, then he still has to win against the Cavs.  That is one heck of a gauntlet to run for Durant the next 5 years.

Now, if he goes to the East, 1) he has the a pretty smooth road to the ECF, 2) he has to beat the Cavs who he'd have to beat anyway and one team from the WC who just ran an incredibly tough gauntlet to get to him, 3) he gets to pick the team he sees as the best fit instead of just the one that drafted him, 4) if he picks his team with assets and cap space, he can bring in the players HE wants to play with. 

I don't see why he wouldn't leave other than loyalty.  And of all the teams in the East, Boston seems like a really good fit for him.  It is a team built on defense and just needing a scorer.  That is what he does. 

« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2016, 01:36:53 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
They were up 3-1 in the WCF and choked it away, which has always been the knock on them, especially this year.

OKC choking was never a thing until this year, so I'm confused by this assertion. The only time you can argue they choked before this season was in the Finals in 2012 and I wouldn't even say that considering they were going against a far more experienced Heat team that just had the bitter experience of losing in the Finals the year before.

Eh, that's always what I've heard has been the critique against them. Other than their injury years, they've blown some pretty good opportunities to win the title (such as 2014 when they lost to the Spurs, I believe), this year and 2012 being the best examples, though. They were young in 2012, but they still had more than enough to beat the Heat, especially with an ailing Bosh. I think the blatant missed Lebron foul on Durant late in game 2 (I think it was) actually hurt them much more than it was let on, though.

« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2016, 02:11:44 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff

Eh, that's always what I've heard has been the critique against them. Other than their injury years, they've blown some pretty good opportunities to win the title (such as 2014 when they lost to the Spurs, I believe), this year and 2012 being the best examples, though. They were young in 2012, but they still had more than enough to beat the Heat, especially with an ailing Bosh. I think the blatant missed Lebron foul on Durant late in game 2 (I think it was) actually hurt them much more than it was let on, though.

Ibaka was injured in the 2014 Spurs series. He missed the first two games and came back early after being ruled out for the whole postseason, but quickly deteriorated after Game 4.

They didn't blow a chance to win a title in 2010 or 2011. The Lakers and Mavs were just better and the Thunder were way too young and inexperienced. This year is really the only year you can say they disappointed. They were fully healthy and had the Warriors on the ropes.

« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2016, 02:15:46 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff

I think the reason he'd leave is, 1) Westbrook is leaving when his contract is up and going to L.A., 2) in the West to win a title he is going to have to go through two of Golden State, San Antonio, and the L.A. Clippers to get to the finals, EVERY YEAR, 3) Minnesota and Portland might be on the rise in the West as well, 4) even if he does get to the finals, then he still has to win against the Cavs.  That is one heck of a gauntlet to run for Durant the next 5 years.

Now, if he goes to the East, 1) he has the a pretty smooth road to the ECF, 2) he has to beat the Cavs who he'd have to beat anyway and one team from the WC who just ran an incredibly tough gauntlet to get to him, 3) he gets to pick the team he sees as the best fit instead of just the one that drafted him, 4) if he picks his team with assets and cap space, he can bring in the players HE wants to play with. 

I don't see why he wouldn't leave other than loyalty.  And of all the teams in the East, Boston seems like a really good fit for him.  It is a team built on defense and just needing a scorer.  That is what he does.

Why do people keep saying "he only has to go through the Cavs" as though no other team has a chance of ascending? No one saw Golden State becoming what it did until it happened in 2014. You even point out the possibility of rising powers in the West, but then completely neglect to even mention that for the East. The East isn't magically immune to teams becoming better in the future.

And you don't see why he wouldn't leave other than loyalty? His team was a win away from the Finals and lost that series in large part due to him choking. This narrative people keep throwing out there about how OKC hasn't given KD enough is baffling. Did people not watch the playoffs? OKC losing that series was on the stars, not the supporting cast. The supporting cast produced... when the stars gave them the opportunity to do so. When the stars decided, "okay, now it's *our* job to singlehandedly put Golden State away" in Games 5 and 6, they failed miserably.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 02:22:21 PM by Endless Paradise »

« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2016, 02:25:16 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2016, 06:32:41 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
A lot of people say staying in OKC is the obvious choice.  I disagree.

Bill Simmons points out that Nike might be actively pushing him to leave OKC:  https://theringer.com/kevin-durant-thunder-conundrum-4b1689d4002c#.paeuqui6g

There had been rumors that there were incentives built into his contract that would pay him more if he joined a larger market.  Regardless, simply joining a new team would provide a publicity boost that Nike may be craving from Durant.  His sales have stagnated.  No better way to get them back up than a new narrative.  The common belief is that he'd make more money staying in OKC, but when you factor in his endorsement money, that doesn't seem to be true.

Why else should Durant bail?

I gave it some thought rattled off some additional (some a bit weak) reasons in an article I wrote for CLNS Radio:  http://clnsradio.com/boston-celtics-news/item/13902-5-reasons-kevin-durant-needs-to-leave-the-oklahoma-city-thunder

A few of the reasons I mentioned:

- It's questionable whether that franchise knows how to build a winner.  There's been several pretty significant missteps - most notably trading away a young All-NBA player to save cash.

- The team has a losing record without Durant and failed to make the playoffs a season ago without him.  Sans Durant, that supporting cast isn't as great as the media is making it out to be.  There are several teams that arguably give him a better opportunity to win.

- If it's true that he values stability, signing a 1 year contract (remember he's a year removed from having a bone graft in his foot) to "run it back" with Westbrook when Westbrook might be on the verge of bailing for the Lakers - doesn't sound like a stable situation.

What's some additional reasons you can think of?

Interesting, TP. I hadn't thought about the fact that Nike might be pushing him to leave.

I think Durant will sign a one-year deal in OKC. It's hard to argue that any other team (except GS) will offer him a better chance to win next year. Next summer, there will be a large class of superstar FA's and multiple teams with the ability to sign two max FA's. Durant can team up with CP3, Blake or Lowry, all of whom could switch teams.

I think our pitch to KD should be: don't lock yourself into a long term deal anywhere. Go try to win a title with OKC one more time, and if it doesn't work out, team up with Blake Griffin and make a dynasty in Boston.

« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2016, 06:38:46 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSOSHeHyKCY

Maybe Bron should leave Cleveland, huh?

The Thunder are really, really good when their guys are all healthy.  Their length, speed, and athleticism gives them an edge against every team in the league, similar to the disparity in shooting and versatility that the Warriors enjoy against nearly every opponent.

And this year, at last, they looked like they found a top 6 they could roll with moving forward.  On top of that, Dion Waiters was solid and Cameron Payne showed promise. 

Bottom line for me, unless Durant is sure Westbrook is leaving after next year and he wants to start building something at his next destination, Durant should absolutely stick around for another year.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain