Author Topic: Why should Durant leave OKC?  (Read 11182 times)

Re: Why should Durant leave OKC?
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2016, 04:30:37 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Westbrook changes the game.  Period.  He had the Warriors on their heels for the vast majority of that series.  It almost doesn't matter that sometimes he plays too fast for even himself.  He forces the game to be played on the Thunder's terms.  That's a huge advantage for OKC.

I'll take the force of nature on my team.

Yeah and Westbrook had a Kobe-esque (2016 version) 34% shooting with 18% shooting from three over the final two games.  You get what you get with Westbrook.

You take the good, you take the bad, you take them both and there you have - Russell Westbrook.

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2016, 04:32:22 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I think it comes down to this: Based on rosters as constituted right now, KD stays in OKC. IF however, any team manages to put together the players KD wants, let's assume for argument sake Butler and Horford, then he leaves for whatever team puts together his preferred teammates.

In an offseason where most of the league will have a ton of cap space, anything is possible.

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2016, 04:39:57 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Westbrook changes the game.  Period.  He had the Warriors on their heels for the vast majority of that series.  It almost doesn't matter that sometimes he plays too fast for even himself.  He forces the game to be played on the Thunder's terms.  That's a huge advantage for OKC.

Yeah and Westbrook had a Kobe-esque (2016 version) 34% shooting with 18% shooting from three over the final two games.  You get what you get with Westbrook.

You take the good, you take the bad, you take them both and there you have - Russell Westbrook.

Sure, but he also averaged basically 26 points / 11 assists / 7 rebounds / 2.5 steals and 8 free throw attempts per game for the playoffs.  His scoring efficiency wasn't ideal, it's true.  But that's uh, pretty good.

Looking at Russ's stats in the aggregate, or examining his raw box score from a game or two, overlooks the impact he can make when he simply takes over the game for four or five straight possessions on both ends.  That's the kind of talent that can swing a playoff series.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2016, 05:18:11 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Sure, but he also averaged basically 26 points / 11 assists / 7 rebounds / 2.5 steals and 8 free throw attempts per game for the playoffs.  His scoring efficiency wasn't ideal, it's true.  But that's uh, pretty good.

Looking at Russ's stats in the aggregate, or examining his raw box score from a game or two, overlooks the impact he can make when he simply takes over the game for four or five straight possessions on both ends.  That's the kind of talent that can swing a playoff series.

How many playoff series has he managed to swing in his favor so far though? He's been in enough of them by now, and I don't recall any. In the last GS series, he hurt his team big time in several of those loses, taking bad shots against mediocre defenders, and taking the ball out of the hands of his more effective teammates.

As others have said too, how well did his team do without KD? Westbrook is an impressive scorer and athlete, but his game just does not translate well to winning.

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2016, 05:28:29 PM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Talent is not that good when it cannot be applied collectively.
Without Durant, Wes had so many triple double with 40+ games and yet his team didn't make the playoffs.
I don't see the point of filling up stat sheet if your team lose in the long run.*

Wes is overrated or badly used from the coaches.

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2016, 05:47:55 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
The only argument is that having to beat LeBron and then ONE of the Western Conference contenders is an easier road to a title than having to beat 2 or 3 Western Conference contenders and THEN beat LeBron on top of that.

No team in the East can offer Durant the level of talent his current team already has.  But playing in a conference with only one other team that has any hope of beating you in a series means your odds of winning a title are much higher.

But talent without fit also doesn't mean much, as OKC itself and the Cavs have proved this postseason. One of the best arguments for him leaving is that he's not a good fit with Westbrrook, so I think there are several more reasons than just being in the East as you argue.

Sure, they might out-talent many teams on most nights, but a poor fit together is exposed when you play truly elite teams. Golden State is highlighting the poor fit in Cleveland right now, despite the immense talent that they have.

The Thunder beat a 67 win Spurs team and came within one game of closing out one of the greatest teams of all time.  Closer, by far, than anybody else this season, barring an astounding turnaround in this Finals series.

That's good enough for me.  If I were advising Durant, I'd tell him to stick around in OKC unless he believes Russ is likely to leave in a year.  Even then, sticking with OKC might still be the best option.  I don't think a team that signs Durant this summer is likely to offer him a significantly better chance at winning a title in the next 5 years.

Eh, I take the Spurs series win with a grain of salt. Not only did they vastly underperform that series, OKC is also a bad matchup for them. Further, though it's nice that they challenged a Warriors team with a Curry that was recovering from injury, they ultimately fell once again due to the knock that has always been present with them - the inability to finish things and the propensity to choke, which is LARGELY due to a mismatched roster and poor fitting pieces.

I also think there are several doable scenarios where we can put a better team around him that is more likely to win a title than OKC. I think you're underestimating fit and chemistry a bit. They've had the talent to win for a long time, but they haven't won anything because their ceiling is just limited due to that bad fit. Cleveland is a magnified example of OKC - all the talent in the world, but they're trying to make mismatched pieces fit together.

Look at the teams that have won the title recently - Warriors, Spurs, Heat, Celtics, etc. All of those teams' main pieces fit together seemlessly. Look at the teams that came just short due to poor fit - OKC, Cleveland, Houston.

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2016, 05:48:14 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The Thunder have had plenty of playoff success so far when their main guys have been healthy. 

I don't really see the relevance of what the team did when it was Westbrook by himself. The team isn't very good when it's Durant by himself either, especially now that they don't have Reggie Jackson to run pick and roll endlessly when Westbrook isn't playing.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2016, 06:11:50 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
The Thunder have had plenty of playoff success so far when their main guys have been healthy. 

I don't really see the relevance of what the team did when it was Westbrook by himself. The team isn't very good when it's Durant by himself either, especially now that they don't have Reggie Jackson to run pick and roll endlessly when Westbrook isn't playing.
Not enough success, though.  And it could be argued, Durant would already have a World Championship if he was paired with a more complimentary player than Russell Westbrook.

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2016, 06:20:26 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I don't think he's in love with his coach. I don't think he's in love with his fans or teammates. I don't think he loves his GM. I think he likes them. I have never heard anyone suggest OKC is just such a happening place.

If he leaves he knows he can be the hero at least for a while somewhere else. If he just makes visits and just really likes a place then there you go.

I'm slightly under the impression some of his best basketball experiences have been with Team USA.  That's interesting. What does Team USA offer?  A phenomenal coaching staff. The opportunity to win. The opportunity to play with the best. The opportunity to play against some of the best.

And as much as he liked Texas he was out of there in a year. I think he's leaning towards OKC but is no lock to stay there.

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2016, 06:33:25 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
There is no reason for Durant to leave the Thunder at least until next season. LarBrd you were all ready to crush GS until they came back to win the series lol You seem to have changed your tune on the C's supporting cast as well. I don't know what makes you think the C's are ready to win a championship just by adding Durant. They still have a ways to go regardless to beat GS or Cleveland.

You need at least one superstar and all-star or three 3 all-stars to win a title now days. Yes Ainge could build with Durant but it's not a sure thing a championship will follow. Boy it would be nice if the C's had a big similar to Steven Adams.

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2016, 06:37:09 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
He needs a NEW perspective , new coach,  moving to a new city is always exciting ......

d looks like he needs A change of senery .......

He as been there too long .....gets old

Many of the same reasons Cousins needs out .

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2016, 06:39:01 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
There is no reason for Durant to leave the Thunder at least until next season. LarBrd you were all ready to crush GS until they came back to win the series lol You seem to have changed your tune on the C's supporting cast as well. I don't know what makes you think the C's are ready to win a championship just by adding Durant. They still have a ways to go regardless to beat GS or Cleveland.

You need at least one superstar and all-star or three 3 all-stars to win a title now days. Yes Ainge could build with Durant but it's not a sure thing a championship will follow. Boy it would be nice if the C's had a big similar to Steven Adams.
Golden State was upsetting me deeply.  I really didn't want to see the Thunder win.  Really relieved the law of averages caught up to them and Westbrook bricked his way out of the series.   Poor KD can't carry that lotto team by himself.  He needs to come to Boston to play with our budding superstars.

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2016, 06:42:52 PM »

Offline vgulab

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
It is simple Durant can leave OKC because he wants to. Nowadays not even money or loyalty is a reason to stay, nowadays if star players made their mind into something they will do it. It is players league. What is important for star players now is to play with their buddies. That is why we are hearing about some list of players Durant would play with.

NBA has changed drastically  since 00's. I remember the days when Iverson himself was carrying Philly or Garnett was carrying Minnesota. These days stars want to play with other stars and all have some demands. They don't try hard anymore.

Therefore if Durant want to leave OKC he doesn't need a reason it will be because he wants to.

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2016, 06:44:49 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Pretty sure that (at least in the regular season) the Thunder won every game that Westbrook had a trip-dub
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2016, 11:13:01 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
A few of the reasons I mentioned:

- It's questionable whether that franchise knows how to build a winner.  There's been several pretty significant missteps - most notably trading away a young All-NBA player to save cash.

I'm not sure that that's the case.  Presti did build a winner by drafting Durant, Westbrook, Harden, and Ibaka, and that team made it to the finals.  His mistake was not resigning a key cog in their attack in Harden, but as far as building a contender, he's proved to be more than capable, imo.