Author Topic: Most Painful Loss in Celtics History  (Read 15268 times)

Re: Most Painful Loss in Celtics History
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2016, 10:49:26 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
April 29, 1973 NY Knicks 94 Boston Celtics 78

For you youngsters out there, the Celtics won 68 games during the regular season. During the eastern conference finals, John Havlicek hurt his shoulder and tried to play shooting left handed. The best Celtics team to not win a championship.

All was restored the following season when they won it all in 1974 so I don't see it as much of a disappointment

Well, a missed title can never be regained, though I understand what you're saying. I suppose that if the Celtics ripped off 3 or 4 over the next decade, that would sort of "make up" for 2010.  ;D

2010 finals was more disappointing because they haven't won anything since 2008. Any new generations of Celtics who might win it all in the future no longer have connection to the 2009-2010 team.

You're right. I did say "sort of."  ;)
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2016, 10:55:10 AM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64
Reggie Lewis.  :(

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2016, 11:00:35 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
'10 was an absolute stomach punch.  The way that game took a turn for the worse in the 2nd half still irks me.  I can't bring myself to watch any replay of that game.

I was only 6 years old for '87 so only have very vague recollections of that series.  Certainly wasn't emotionally invested as I was in '10. 

Losing the '02 ECF hurt me at the time.  I was wrapping up my junior year at BC and living in Brighton for the summer.  Had the playoff strip.   The organization had been at rock bottom for such a long time that the whole '02 was one helluva rollercoaster.  After pulling off that epic comeback in Game 3 to take a 2-1 series lead, I really thought we were going to see a Lakers-Celtics NBA Finals (admittedly, the C's would've gotten smoked).    So losing the next 3 games in a row was a big stomach punch. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2016, 12:06:18 PM »

Offline meangreenmachine

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
Game 3 of 1987 Finals. Nagic's baby hook to beat the Cs and take a commanding lead in the series. Still convinced if the Celtics had gotten Kareem's missed foul shot, the game was over and the C's would have won that series. Instead the rebound went off Boston, LA inbounded the ball, Magic hit the baby hook and Larry missed the three pointer with no time left. Game and basically series to LA. UGH!!!

Mychal Thompson went over McHale's back and knocked it out of bounds...Refs automatically gave the ball to L.A.----would be replay nowadays.....McHale went straight up to secure the ball---then the ball went flying out of bounds at a Horizontal angle.
All true. I was just summarizing and didnt want to relive it over again. Still that play was the most important in the game. If the Celtics got that rebound, the game was over and I think the Cs win that series in 7 maybe 6 games. That play changed the entire series.

Agreed...The Lakers have been so freaking lucky...our 1987 team was decimated with injuries and the death of Len Bias...C's should rightfully have at least 4 more Championships.

Lakers should be stripped of their 2002 title. And at least 11 of them belongs to Minnesota. So in reality, Los Angeles should only have like 5 titles.

Can you explain about the 2002 title? I guess I don't know what that's about.

Game 6 of the 2002 Western Conference Finals.

« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2016, 12:10:29 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
June 19, 1986

:'(
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2016, 12:53:01 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Game 3 of 1987 Finals. Nagic's baby hook to beat the Cs and take a commanding lead in the series. Still convinced if the Celtics had gotten Kareem's missed foul shot, the game was over and the C's would have won that series. Instead the rebound went off Boston, LA inbounded the ball, Magic hit the baby hook and Larry missed the three pointer with no time left. Game and basically series to LA. UGH!!!

Mychal Thompson went over McHale's back and knocked it out of bounds...Refs automatically gave the ball to L.A.----would be replay nowadays.....McHale went straight up to secure the ball---then the ball went flying out of bounds at a Horizontal angle.
All true. I was just summarizing and didnt want to relive it over again. Still that play was the most important in the game. If the Celtics got that rebound, the game was over and I think the Cs win that series in 7 maybe 6 games. That play changed the entire series.
for me it was a tie between game 3 with that (expletive) hook shot and game 6 when it felt like the end of the C's dominance in the conference.  C's didn't get back to the finals until 2008. 

I'd put 2010 game 7 right after that.

« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2016, 12:55:50 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Baby Hook was Game 4.  Celtics won Game 3 of that series. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2016, 01:01:01 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Agreed...The Lakers have been so freaking lucky...our 1987 team was decimated with injuries and the death of Len Bias...C's should rightfully have at least 4 more Championships.

Lakers should be stripped of their 2002 title. And at least 11 of them belongs to Minnesota. So in reality, Los Angeles should only have like 5 titles.

Can you explain about the 2002 title? I guess I don't know what that's about.

Game 6 of the 2002 Western Conference Finals.

Ah, yes, the Kings debacle. I remember.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2016, 01:07:23 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50

Yes, Game 4 in 1987. Lost by one to the Lakers. Still the toughest loss to me. Game was in Boston and would have tied the series 2-2.

From Wikipedia:

"What followed was another play for the ages. Magic set a pick on Kevin McHale, which almost opened up a lay-up for Worthy, but Dennis Johnson was able to switch over in time on help defense. However, that left McHale scrambling to guard Magic who just got open and received the inbounds pass near the left sideline. Twenty feet from the basket, Magic had the advantage on the post-defender McHale. Magic dribbled, hesitated to get McHale off-balance, then drove into the key. Magic then lofted a hook shot, which just cleared the fingertips of both McHale and Parish, and swished through the net giving the Lakers a 107-106 lead with only 2 seconds left.

The Celtics still had one last shot, Dennis inbounded the ball to Bird, who had broke to the corner of the basket after faking out Worthy by walking him up the court. Larry, to his surprise, found himself wide open behind the 3-point line right in front of the Lakers' bench. Bird caught the in bounds pass from Johnson, turned, and put up a fall-away jumper as time expired. The shot was off the mark, and the Boston crowd let out a collective groan as the Lakers' bench danced off the court to celebrate the hard-fought victory, which gave the Lakers a commanding 3-1 series lead."

« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2016, 01:41:06 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
TP....good pick up. My old man memory isnt what it used to be.

« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2016, 01:45:13 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
TP....good pick up. My old man memory isnt what it used to be.

Without a doubt. What a bunch of heart that 87 team had. I remember Kite coming up huge in game 3. Think we won 109-103. That's going off memory...that series, with all those injuries, still stings.

« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2016, 06:07:05 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
Len Bias.  Just look at this guy.  He looks like a stronger Michael Jordan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDQnsK6bpPM

« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2016, 06:19:25 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I would go with game 7 2010. We looked great until Rasheed's back gave out. We couldn't defend LA's size without him.

The baby hook haunted me for years though.

« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2016, 10:50:27 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
The 1985 Lakers winning for the first time vs Boston and in the Garden would be my pick. However I can stomach Magic and the others on that team winning over us somewhat. I cannot take it that Kobe got one on us and in a game 7 that we played well in. So my vote is 2010 game 7.

I’d also like to throw in game one in 1993 Charlotte Hornets vs Celtics. Because I remember Reggie Lewis collapsing to the floor and like everyone else didn’t know that would be the last time he ever played for us.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2016, 11:01:10 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Only lived for 23 years, so definitely Game 7 of 2010.

Game 7 of 2009 East Semis was pretty bad too, but that was when we were without KG and Leon Powe.

Game 6 of 2012 East Finals was terrible. We had that series in our hands, but our old age gave in.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)