Author Topic: Most Painful Loss in Celtics History  (Read 15246 times)

Most Painful Loss in Celtics History
« on: June 06, 2016, 10:32:10 PM »

Offline meangreenmachine

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
My vote: Game 7 of the 2010 NBA Finals. The refs screwed us, which makes it even more painful...

Re: Most Painful Loss in Celtics History
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 10:52:31 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I'd have to agree.

Game 7 2010 NBA Finals.

If the Lakers fester in Lotteryville for next 10 years I'll feel better about it.

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 10:53:33 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Game 7 of 2010 was painful. We were so close. Plus those Lakers cost me like a 1000 Tommy Points.

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 10:56:48 PM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
My vote: Game 7 of the 2010 NBA Finals. The refs screwed us, which makes it even more painful...

I still remember that game like it was yesterday, I had to drive to a friends place after the game and I eventually pulled over to the side of the the road because I was still that upset I couldn't drive...has to be by far my most painful sporting moment of my life.

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 10:58:17 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
1. Len Bias (franchise changing)
2. Tim Duncan ( franchise changing)
3. Reggie Lewis ( just plain sad)

1 and 3 cost me some tears.

2 cost me a TV.

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 11:10:52 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
April 29, 1973 NY Knicks 94 Boston Celtics 78

For you youngsters out there, the Celtics won 68 games during the regular season. During the eastern conference finals, John Havlicek hurt his shoulder and tried to play shooting left handed. The best Celtics team to not win a championship.

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 11:13:22 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

For you youngsters out there, the Celtics won 68 games during the regular season. During the eastern conference finals, John Havlicek hurt his shoulder and tried to play shooting left handed. The best Celtics team to not win a championship.

All was restored the following season when they won it all in 1974 so I don't see it as much of a disappointment

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 11:15:54 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324

This was the first thing that came to mind for me.

1. Len Bias (franchise changing)
2. Tim Duncan ( franchise changing)
3. Reggie Lewis ( just plain sad)

1 and 3 cost me some tears.

2 cost me a TV.

I thought the thread title was referring to the worst game loss, but yeah, deaths are the worst. I was a kid when Len died, so I don't remember that, but I remember Reggie's death, which was horrible. Losing out on Duncan was less tragic but just as crippling for the team's long-term success.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 11:17:28 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Len Bias

Still get a lump in my throat  :-\

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2016, 11:19:11 PM »

• Satch Sanders

All was restored the following season when they won it all in 1974 so I don't see it as much of a disappointment

Well, a missed title can never be regained, though I understand what you're saying. I suppose that if the Celtics ripped off 3 or 4 over the next decade, that would sort of "make up" for 2010.  ;D
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2016, 11:21:16 PM »

• Satch Sanders
I'd have to agree.

Game 7 2010 NBA Finals.

If the Lakers fester in Lotteryville for next 10 years I'll feel better about it.

That would be sweet, but I have a feeling it won't happen. Lakers catch too many breaks.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2016, 11:29:54 PM »

Offline meangreenmachine

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
I'd have to agree.

Game 7 2010 NBA Finals.

That would be sweet, but I have a feeling it won't happen. Lakers catch too many breaks.

Yeah, I've got a bad feeling they're going to be back in the playoffs in 1-2 years and in 3-5 years Stevens will be competing with Luke Walton for the title of "best coach in the NBA" (assuming Pops retires). They are probably getting a quality player ahead of us in the draft, will throw enough money at DeRozan to steal him from the Raptors, will make Ezeli their big man, and then Westbrook will probably join them next summer. And don't forget about Russell and Randle, who may yet develop into ballers particularly under the tutelage of Walton. Eek.

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2016, 11:41:34 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Obviously game 7 in 2010.

But also up there for me is game 7 vs. the Heat in 2012. Up by 7 at halftime, tied at the end of 3 before completely running out of gas.  That was the last stand for the Big 3.  Win that game and LeBron still might be looking for his first title.

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2016, 11:45:14 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Game 7 against Miami in 2012 might have been harder for me than 2010.  That celts team fought with such grit that entire series and we were looking good through most of the game.  That loss slammed shut the window.  That was it, it was over.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2016, 12:04:36 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
4th quarter of G7 2010 hurt pretty bad.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain