Author Topic: Most Painful Loss in Celtics History  (Read 15251 times)

Re: Most Painful Loss in Celtics History
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2016, 12:27:56 AM »

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
That Game 7 in 2010....For the first 3 quarters---it was called evenly..Then AS SOON as the 4th starts (and the C's in the lead)---the Ticky Tack calls started against Boston, to get L.A. in the penalty quickly....Calls that were NOT being made earlier in the game.

If the game was called exactly the same for the entire game---Celtics Win it for sure...Extremely Crooked.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2016, 12:31:56 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Obviously game 7 in 2010.

But also up there for me is game 7 vs. the Heat in 2012. Up by 7 at halftime, tied at the end of 3 before completely running out of gas.  That was the last stand for the Big 3.  Win that game and LeBron still might be looking for his first title.

Yeah, this is my answer. Obviously game 7 of the Finals beats game 7 of the ECF, but I was so invested with that team. Prime Rondo, a resurgent KG, and AB breaking out made that underdog team so fun to watch. I still think we would've won it all that year if AB and Wilcox didn't go down late in the season/playoffs, let alone Green not playing the whole season and losing JO, too. Granted, we also benefited from a Rose injury, so it's hard to complain too much.

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2016, 12:33:36 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
2013 loss to New York in Boston was pretty bad, too, because you just knew that was the end of KG and PP in Boston.

The game was a perfect representation of that team, too. Got down big, put on a HUGE comeback, then just didn't have enough to finish it off.

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2016, 12:48:24 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
2013 loss to New York in Boston was pretty bad, too, because you just knew that was the end of KG and PP in Boston.

The game was a perfect representation of that team, too. Got down big, put on a HUGE comeback, then just didn't have enough to finish it off.

I remember that game so well.

I was extremely p---ed that they were losing big, so I turned off the TV, I couldn't stand it! (never before had I turned off a game while it was still going; I always watched till the end). I went outside, shot some hoops, then decided that I had cooled down enough. So I went back in and turned it on. They were so close, and I started watching again. They lost, and I realized that it was the end of our era. What I didn't realize was that I had essentially quit on the team. I didn't watch the comeback, I had lost hope beforehand.

It taught me to never give up on the team again. I've never since quit watching mid game.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2016, 01:11:20 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
April 29, 1973 NY Knicks 94 Boston Celtics 78

For you youngsters out there, the Celtics won 68 games during the regular season. During the eastern conference finals, John Havlicek hurt his shoulder and tried to play shooting left handed. The best Celtics team to not win a championship.

All was restored the following season when they won it all in 1974 so I don't see it as much of a disappointment

Well, a missed title can never be regained, though I understand what you're saying. I suppose that if the Celtics ripped off 3 or 4 over the next decade, that would sort of "make up" for 2010.  ;D

2010 finals was more disappointing because they haven't won anything since 2008. Any new generations of Celtics who might win it all in the future no longer have connection to the 2009-2010 team.

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2016, 01:47:23 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Game 3 of 1987 Finals. Magic's baby hook to beat the Cs and take a commanding lead in the series. Still convinced if the Celtics had gotten Kareem's missed foul shot, the game was over and the C's would have won that series. Instead the rebound went off Boston, LA inbounded the ball, Magic hit the baby hook and Larry missed the three pointer with no time left. Game and basically series to LA. UGH!!!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 02:42:32 AM by nickagneta »

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2016, 01:51:16 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

For you youngsters out there, the Celtics won 68 games during the regular season. During the eastern conference finals, John Havlicek hurt his shoulder and tried to play shooting left handed. The best Celtics team to not win a championship.

All was restored the following season when they won it all in 1974 so I don't see it as much of a disappointment

Well, a missed title can never be regained, though I understand what you're saying. I suppose that if the Celtics ripped off 3 or 4 over the next decade, that would sort of "make up" for 2010.  ;D

2010 finals was more disappointing because they haven't won anything since 2008. Any new generations of Celtics who might win it all in the future no longer have connection to the 2009-2010 team.

Danny Ainge and Wyc Grousbeck!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2016, 01:58:51 AM »

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Game 3 of 1987 Finals. Nagic's baby hook to beat the Cs and take a commanding lead in the series. Still convinced if the Celtics had gotten Kareem's missed foul shot, the game was over and the C's would have won that series. Instead the rebound went off Boston, LA inbounded the ball, Magic hit the baby hook and Larry missed the three pointer with no time left. Game and basically series to LA. UGH!!!

Mychal Thompson went over McHale's back and knocked it out of bounds...Refs automatically gave the ball to L.A.----would be replay nowadays.....McHale went straight up to secure the ball---then the ball went flying out of bounds at a Horizontal angle.

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2016, 02:47:10 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Game 3 of 1987 Finals. Nagic's baby hook to beat the Cs and take a commanding lead in the series. Still convinced if the Celtics had gotten Kareem's missed foul shot, the game was over and the C's would have won that series. Instead the rebound went off Boston, LA inbounded the ball, Magic hit the baby hook and Larry missed the three pointer with no time left. Game and basically series to LA. UGH!!!

Mychal Thompson went over McHale's back and knocked it out of bounds...Refs automatically gave the ball to L.A.----would be replay nowadays.....McHale went straight up to secure the ball---then the ball went flying out of bounds at a Horizontal angle.
All true. I was just summarizing and didnt want to relive it over again. Still that play was the most important in the game. If the Celtics got that rebound, the game was over and I think the Cs win that series in 7 maybe 6 games. That play changed the entire series.

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2016, 02:50:33 AM »

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

All true. I was just summarizing and didnt want to relive it over again. Still that play was the most important in the game. If the Celtics got that rebound, the game was over and I think the Cs win that series in 7 maybe 6 games. That play changed the entire series.

Agreed...The Lakers have been so freaking lucky...our 1987 team was decimated with injuries and the death of Len Bias...C's should rightfully have at least 4 more Championships.

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2016, 02:57:46 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

Agreed...The Lakers have been so freaking lucky...our 1987 team was decimated with injuries and the death of Len Bias...C's should rightfully have at least 4 more Championships.

Lakers should be stripped of their 2002 title. And at least 11 of them belongs to Minnesota. So in reality, Los Angeles should only have like 5 titles.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2016, 03:24:33 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

Is Danny playing along with Wyc in the court?

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2016, 03:28:59 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310

Lakers should be stripped of their 2002 title. And at least 11 of them belongs to Minnesota. So in reality, Los Angeles should only have like 5 titles.

It's actually the other way round, 5 of their titles were from the Minneapolis Lakers which I too have stated on this forum many times that they should be stricken from their record, OKC removed Seattle's title when they moved, 76ers don't recognise the Syracuse Nationals title and so it should be the same as the Lakers, they just want to artificially catch Boston.

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2016, 03:36:58 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310

Is Danny playing along with Wyc in the court?

Random question who wins in a owner/gm 2 v 2 NBA tournament? It'd have to be out of Ainge/Wyc and Jordan/Cho

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2016, 10:47:09 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Can you explain about the 2002 title? I guess I don't know what that's about.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis