Author Topic: D Howard make good contract?  (Read 3225 times)

D Howard make good contract?
« on: May 31, 2016, 08:52:46 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
I thought I heard Howard is opting out?
What do you think he will get in FA?
Max contract?
3/4 max?

Would he sign a 1 year $16 mil deal and attempt to rebuild his value?

Would we?

He's got more in the tank than Noah, but Noah's got a lot more between the ears.

Re: D Howard make good contract?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 08:57:18 PM »

Offline ahonui06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 27
Howard will be an UFA this offseason.

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 09:01:26 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Dwight Howard's option is for over $23 million.  If the most he can get is $16 million for a single season, I would be VERY surprised if his agent would recommend that he opt out.  Unless he just hates Houston that much.

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 09:10:58 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
It would be nice if the fabricated vitriol reserved on this board for a 20-year-old rookie on a historically bad team would be directed at a clown like Dwight Howard.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 09:19:13 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If he were willing to sign that sort of contract, it would be for more money with a player option for a second year.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 10:29:38 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
He'll be 31 in December. Do you think Danny is willing to risk all that money on a player his age and injury history? Would he fit with Brad style of play?

I also agree with Saltlover. It would be surprising if his agent recommend he opt out. 

FYI: NBA Finals TV schedule is out.  http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/nba-playoffs-tv-schedule-espn-abc-tnt-nbatv-finals-ecf-wcf-semis-first-round/

I'm glad the NBA finals are on a National Network. I don't get ESPN or TNT in my TV package.

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 10:35:46 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
It would be nice if the fabricated vitriol reserved on this board for a 20-year-old rookie on a historically bad team would be directed at a clown like Dwight Howard.
I can't stand Howard.  He's a pansy and a whiner.  Prefer Okafor 100 times out of 100.  How's that?

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 11:08:12 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I can't stand Howard.  He's a pansy and a whiner.  Prefer Okafor 100 times out of 100.  How's that?

I think more like this:

If Danny wastes any cap space on the Houstomistake he will set the rebuild back by 5 years and I'll be calling for him to be fired
I'm bitter.

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 11:33:44 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I think the Celtics should look seriously at players like Noah and Howard, even Whiteside, because they are the type of players the Celtics are missing and sorely need. Inside guys who can rebound and defend.
Howard is up there in years and wear and tear, and his salary demands are high. But he's still a good player who can dominate inside, and they have plenty of cap space.

I don't know if Horford can be pried away from Atlanta, but I prefer Howard over Horford for the inside game.

You go to these options if you don't trade the 3 for Okafor.

You can talk about "small ball" , but small ball still requires an inside force at the 4 or 5 like a Draymond Green. The Celtics have never won anything without an inside force.

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 11:43:06 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Howard did say he's for sure leaving Houston if they hire Mike D'Antoni...so we know that for sure.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 12:41:22 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Why?

The former is a one dimensional player who put up horribly elevated numbers because he had high usage rate as the #1 (and only) offensive option on a terrible team.

The latter is multi-dimensional contribute who put up massively deflated numbers because he had a horribly low using rate stuck behind a shot chucking ball hog. 

Dwight Howard is so ridiculously superior to Okafor as a player that even dreaming about comparing the two players is an almost laughable excercise.  Dwight Howard is probably going to be a better player at the age of 33 then Okafor will ever be   

He's also a proven game changer who has proven he is capable of being the best player on a contender (after leading crappy Orlando teams deep in the playoffs multiple times) led a mediocre roster deep into the playoffs on multiple occasions - versus Okafor who is an unproven rookie who hasn't given the slightest indication that he's capable of making a team better - even the worst team in the NBA is better when he's not on the court.

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2016, 12:45:20 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I don't like Dwight anywhere near his 4 year max. If Dwight wants to come to Boston for 3/60, then I'd be pretty interested.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2016, 12:59:37 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

I think more like this:

If Danny wastes any cap space on the Houstomistake he will set the rebuild back by 5 years and I'll be calling for him to be fired

The naivety amuses me.

People have the hypothetical opportunity to take an almost historically great center who is a proven competitor (having led a mediocre team past Lebron and to the NBA finals), and who is still perfectly capable of dominating the game from three different angles (offense, defense, and rebounding) on the basis of character concerns...

But would turn that opportunity down in order to sign an overweight, poorly conditioned, unathletic big man who has the worst advanced stats of any player in the league at his position, who's basketball talent is completely one dimensional (post scoring), and who has already raised significant character concerns of his own. 

Each to their own, but it's just amusing to me.

Given a choice of two "boneheads" (as it seems Dwight and Okafor both are at this point), I would choose the one who has proven he is a winner and can impact the game as a 2-3 dimensional player over the one dimensional prospect who's proven nothing.  But that's just me.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 01:35:16 AM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2016, 04:42:35 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
He's out of our price range. Unless you're willing to give him $20m+ for 3-4 years, in which case you're crazy!

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2016, 05:06:46 AM »

Offline PaulP34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
No on Dwight Howard, No on Noah, No on Gasol. These are all used goods that will David Lee it as soon as they sign their next contract. We want young and effective players that will grow into this system. Those guys are in the twilight of their careers. I don't want any part of them.