Author Topic: Report: Kevin Durant gave the Celtics list of players they need to sign  (Read 12903 times)

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
That is crazy. Though possible its extremely unlikely. But we are talking about DA, OKC, LeBron, Gasol, and KD. All of which have a history that lends itself to creating a team like that one. Not like it's beyond any in the group to make it so.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 07:43:58 PM by Csfan1984 »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
New report on KD

The Oklahoma City Thunder have a "real concern" with the Golden State Warriors' infatuation with signing Kevin Durant, according to a source.

Durant and the Thunder were one win away from defeating the Warriors in the Western Conference Finals.

“I was just stuck in the moment,” Durant told The Undefeated. “Man, we just lost the game. I embraced my teammates, the coach and GM. I really had no thoughts. I just let everyone know that I felt the same pain that they felt. I just wanted to go through that moment together.”

In free agency, Durant will rely on his agent Rich Kleiman of Roc Nation and his business manager and childhood friend Charlie Bell as he considers his options.

“We will figure it out,” Durant said. “I will talk to my agent, my best friend and my dad. Just talk to those three guys and get some advice from other people. But for the most part, I will talk to them in the next couple of weeks. I don’t even know where my mind is right now.

“I can’t think about what is going to happen in a month. I’m just thinking about what we’ve all been through as a team and embrace my brothers right now.”

Durant would look weak joining up with GSW after losing to them 1 game away from the Finals

Just come to the weak East and build the team that fits you best , and let Brad take you to another level in a real offense .

That article is click bait. Shocking headline with nothing but Durant talking about last night's game.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
New report on KD

The Oklahoma City Thunder have a "real concern" with the Golden State Warriors' infatuation with signing Kevin Durant, according to a source.

Durant and the Thunder were one win away from defeating the Warriors in the Western Conference Finals.

“I was just stuck in the moment,” Durant told The Undefeated. “Man, we just lost the game. I embraced my teammates, the coach and GM. I really had no thoughts. I just let everyone know that I felt the same pain that they felt. I just wanted to go through that moment together.”

In free agency, Durant will rely on his agent Rich Kleiman of Roc Nation and his business manager and childhood friend Charlie Bell as he considers his options.

“We will figure it out,” Durant said. “I will talk to my agent, my best friend and my dad. Just talk to those three guys and get some advice from other people. But for the most part, I will talk to them in the next couple of weeks. I don’t even know where my mind is right now.

“I can’t think about what is going to happen in a month. I’m just thinking about what we’ve all been through as a team and embrace my brothers right now.”

Durant would look weak joining up with GSW after losing to them 1 game away from the Finals

Just come to the weak East and build the team that fits you best , and let Brad take you to another level in a real offense .

That article is click bait. Shocking headline with nothing but Durant talking about last night's game.
Durant can bail on the Zombie Sonics for basically any team other than the Warriors and get celebrated for it.   He'd take a lot of flack if he hopped on the Warriors bandwagon.  It would be seen as anti-competitive.

He can join basically any other team and people will respect him for it.  It's well known Oklahoma put a priority on saving cash over building a proper contender.  They traded away star talent to save bucks.  They continue to show no understanding of how to build a champion around him.  That team has been a below .500 team in games Durant has sat.  Thunder are a lottery team that Durant is being forced to carry.

Join any other team, and his fan base doubles.  Yeah, he'll lose the undeserving Oklahoma fans who never paid their dues.   But he'll gain the massive fanbase of his new team (such as the Celtics) as well as the hoard of nomadic Seattle fans and their nation-wide sympathizers who have always liked Durant, but felt obligated to root against him.   

I live in Seattle.  Everyone I know who still follows basketball out here is actively rooting for him to leave Oklahoma. 

I mean, he could join the Lakers and I still would be semi glad Clay Bennett got a taste of karma. 

The only team he could join that would damage his reputation would be Golden State.  Everywhere else is fair game.

As for the "report" about Durant informing Boston.  I've mainly skimmed this thread with expectations that half would be calling the report nonsense while the other half would be worried Boston would get busted for tampering.   

I believe Durant when he's said he hasn't given a ton of thought into where he'll play next season.  He's been too busy focusing on carrying the lottery-bound Thunder to the WCF.  I'm sure a lot of things are in play and when the time comes he'll sit down with teams (fully expect Boston to be one of them) and hear their pitch.

So if some version of this story is true, I assume it's not some cryptic thing where Danny is speaking with his agent.  It's probably just coming from one of the players like Thomas who is well within his rights to have conversations with Durant.  Maybe it's as simple as that.  Maybe Thomas knows who Durant would want to play with, because they run in the same circles.  Or maybe it's as simple as James Young having the same agency (Roc Nation) and giving Danny his "insight".   If KD operates anything like LeBron James, he'll want to play with guys that are repped by the same agency.  Maybe that explains why Danny Ainge tried giving up half the roster to get Justice Winslow last season... Winslow is part of Roc Nation as well.  Lol 

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
It's difficult to tell with media what is credible and what isn't these days.  I don't know Butch Stearns. I am from this area know his name that's it.  I've never heard him on the air.  Assuming it's true  it's really anyone's guess who those players are, but sounds plausible.  There were similar rumors with Rondo before he got traded if we could have put the right team around him as well though.   It doesn't mean much until it happens. Isaiah is out there recruiting and Ainge doesn't seem to mind. So I would guess the Celtics would try to make something happen here.

Ainge has said himself that if the Celtics can put together a championship team now they would go that route, so that would still appear to be plan A if we can get a guy like Durant and pieces around him to win a title.  I don't necessarily agree with that.  I'd rather be patient and build a different way but there are definately worse options. It's the next best thing to me.

The C's obviously have to be careful going this route only to have Durant bail on us and go somewhere else as other teams bid for him as well. That's about it.  I'm guessing there would be some take him by his word stipulations if we make moves to satisfy him.

In the next month heading up to the draft it will start to become more obvious if we are gearing up for someone like that and who those players are.  Guessing now is anyone's guess.  Paul George makes sense though.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 11:43:08 PM by walker834 »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
I think the way the NBA is now players really can choose what they want to do so this is what is good about our situation. We have a good young coach, draft picks a winning  organization. So if 3 guys want to decide to play together they can do that.  Kevin Love can decide he doesn't want to play with Lebron etc.  Players can really decide where they want to go and what they want to do.  So we have ourselves positioned to be that destination for a trio of players to do that.  We have cap room. 

Guys like Lebron and Westbrook and owners, gm's etc don't have that same power to  hold players hostage.  It's a players league the other way imo where players can pair together with who they want.

KD, George, Love, Isaiah or any 3 of those guys,  that's a lot of offense and would be really hard to stop by my estimation.   More so than  OKC has right now.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 11:55:00 PM by walker834 »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Guys, it states that his agent has sent memos to all team interested in Durant a list of players he would want to play with. I think the list is real but the chance of the Celtics acquiring That list + KD is not realistic. I will believe it when I see it.

It didnt say that at all.

it said:
It would stand to reason that Durant’s representatives have told all interested teams something similar

that doesn't mean that his reps have definitely told all other teams.

furthermore, lets see what Stearns said:
I have this on pretty good authority: The Celtics have sat with his agent and other representatives of Durant,” Stearns said. “The Celtics do know — I don’t know who it is — but they do know who he would prefer to be brought here in a LeBron [James]-Chris Bosh-Dwyane Wade-like way. Because that’s how it works in the NBA. You need to know who the guy or guys that that guy wants, which would be a factor.

“Now, I don’t know if Durant’s told them that. But the Celtics know. They know. They’ve been told what group of guys he would want to come here.

nowhere does it even imply that KD's people have told all other interested teams too.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
It is interesting the focus is on Boston here.  Durant may not have been fully engaged either because he knew he was on his way out.  We will see.  My heart wants something else in ways this time, but if trader Danny is Trader Danny it's possible.  He did it before and no reason to think he's suddenly a different person.  I think DA is different than Red that way where if DA can have something in the works he would and he just might.  He hasn't been exploring all these deals for no reason.  I don't always believe the hype. It's difficult to separate what is hype and people looking for stories vs substance these days but the media has been right before too.  Not that often but it does happen.

I just googled Kevin Durant  though and the first story that popped up was that one and the focus is on Boston.  A lot can change from now until the draft but out of the gate it's Boston.

Unless Ainge flat out denies this story, why would the Celtics be sitting down with him and his agent? Why would Isaiah be out there recruiting?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 01:02:22 AM by walker834 »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
If Isaiah is any clue it's Jimmy Butler and Durant. Why are we scouting Bender? Covering all bases?

Isaiah, Butler, Durant, Bender and ? mark?  GEt a legit rebounding center.  Keep Marcus or Bradley and Crowder as bench guys. Plus KO or Sully.  Rozier, Mickey etc may go in deals for Butler plus picks later on.

Maybe deal Bender for a guy like Love or Okafor depending on what we see.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 01:11:42 AM by walker834 »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
My guess would be this is part of a plan and Durant holds the cards.  First step is to let all suitors know what it might take to be considered - should Durant decide to move on.  Then see what happens. 

I can just see 2 or 3 teams making moves to 'prepare' to attract KD and then he says 'forget it, I'm signing a one year deal to stay with OKC can and play one more year with Westbrook'. 

You can't build a team this way.  Ultimately Durant will do what's best for him.  I wouldn't be held hostage by the pipe dream that he might want come if we bring in enough of his friends. 

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Isaiah
Butler/Paul George(probably in that order or probability)
Durant
Okafor/Bender/Love(probably in that order of probability and best case)
Center-Howard?  Noah? Perk?

Marcus or Bradley, Rozier, etc
KO or Sully, Mickey etc.
Crowder

Now we're talkin.  If i were to predict ainge hasn't been just doing all this stuff for no reason.  He's been doing what people have been saying he is. Obviously things can change but if rumors are true it all boils down to durant.  In this case where there's smoke there's fire.

Some combination of Marcus, Bradley, Mickey, Rozier, KO or Sully goes..... KO probably stays and Sully is done here.  Crowder probably stays depending as well although he may be shipped or Bradley or Marcus with whoever we draft for Butler or Okafor or Love or whoever depending on if it's even plausible.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 02:02:36 AM by walker834 »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

How about Whiteside and Ryan Anderson to play with Durant. Or Horford And Gasol.

Horford and Anderson and we would suddenly have  very good even deadly three point shooting lineup.

Horford/Olynyk
 Anderson
 Durant
 Bradley
 Thomas

Look they can all Shoot! Amazing! Add Smart, Crowder, For defense plus the top draft pick.

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I am still firmly in the "I'll believe it when I see it" category.

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Or the huge lineup.

Whiteside
 Gasol
 Durant
 Bradley
 Smart

Thomas 6th man Scorer. Bender to back up Gasol, or Murray or Dunn.

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Look at OkC they lost because their other guys didn't deliver at the highest level. Bradley is a better shooter than roberson  but getting butler would solve that.  Isaiah also isn't the ballhog Westbrook is and is a better outside shooter.  Thinking of that post eja made the other day as well.  People called him an idiot for calling guys like bradley 7th men.  Same with KO but i kind of agree.  Same with Crowder.  On a championship team KO and Crowder are bench guys in particular like Posey and Pollard were for us.  Better range between them.  Bradley to me is a starter/bench player and a guy who can start or come off the bench. Smart and him are debatable on who is better there.

It has to be the right situation though where it all comes together.  I don't like biting on stuff that isn't there and halfassed non vision trades.  This is something that would be there.

It has to all come together where we are getting Okafor or Horford though.   Forgot about him.

Otherwise we just keep building through the draft.

If eja disagrees with that though he is truly just being negative.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 02:30:11 AM by walker834 »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Isaiah better 3 pt shooter than westbrook and less of a ballhog
Butler will shoot it when Durant wants him to unlike Roberson
Durant
Okafor or Horford are better scorers and low post players tha Ibaka
We need a defensive presence in the middle.

So scoring does win in this instance.

Crowder, KO, Bradley or Smart great defensive hustle guys and 7th men on a championship team.

Bradley and Smart vs Butler is even debateable and not even necessary but we might have to get a guy  like  Love vs Okafor or Horford in that case.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 03:38:14 AM by walker834 »