Author Topic: What's your elevator pitch to Durant?  (Read 4761 times)

Re: What's your elevator pitch to Durant?
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2016, 01:53:41 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Come on Kevin, don't you want to play on a team where you are the undisputed tallest player?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2016, 01:53:42 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
lebron is the only one that stands between you and a ring because once we get past Cleveland..we are the only team that have the kryptonite to stop the splash brothers in AB and Smart. ;)

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2016, 02:10:16 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
The THunder prioritized saving money over building a champion around him.  They failed Durant. 

Danny Ainge has proven he knows how to build a champion.   KD needs to come to Boston.  He'll be a legend there and it will give him his best chance at long-term success.  They won 48 games with role players.  Whereas, the THunder have a losing record in games Durant has sat over the past two years.  No-brainer - Boston gives him the best chance at winning.

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2016, 02:13:22 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
No Celtics owners will be indicted.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2016, 02:17:00 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
No Celtics owners will be indicted.
ZING
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2016, 02:20:19 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
The THunder prioritized saving money over building a champion around him.  They failed Durant. 

Danny Ainge has proven he knows how to build a champion.   KD needs to come to Boston.  He'll be a legend there and it will give him his best chance at long-term success.  They won 48 games with role players.  Whereas, the THunder have a losing record in games Durant has sat over the past two years.  No-brainer - Boston gives him the best chance at winning.

I was talking about this with a lakers friend of mine actually.

He was saying there are better options than Boston. He listed off Portland, Miami, Atlanta as 3 teams who present better chances of winning than us. He made the point that Portland is only going to get better and have tons of space. Miami and Atlanta both have better players than us, and had the same success that we had in the regular season. If he has better options in terms of players, why would he go to Boston, where all the focus will be on him again, when he can go to teams that have more options and hence less focus on Durant?

(It's what he said, not me btw; I'm curious what you guys think about this).
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2016, 02:31:49 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

He was saying there are better options than Boston. He listed off Portland, Miami, Atlanta as 3 teams who present better chances of winning than us. He made the point that Portland is only going to get better and have tons of space. Miami and Atlanta both have better players than us, and had the same success that we had in the regular season. If he has better options in terms of players, why would he go to Boston, where all the focus will be on him again, when he can go to teams that have more options and hence less focus on Durant?

None.

There's no chance he's leaving Oklahoma City now.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2016, 02:34:10 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
I think you pitch "Celtic Pride" and the legendary status of Celtics greats in Boston and around the league. I think he's definitely someone that appreciates the history and greatness of the organization, and if you tell him that his name could eventually be up there in the rafters with legends of the game, then he'll respond to that.

I think you also pitch him as being the absolute MAN for our offense. Tell him that you want him to get 35+ a night, and he'll get as many shots as he wants with no other player even coming close. After playing with Westbrook all of those years, that'd be something he would like to hear.

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2016, 02:45:24 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932

Portland - too similar to OKC, imo. He'd have to share A TON of his shots with that backcourt, who, by the way, also does not play defense. That's hardly a perfect situation for him. He needs to be THE MAN for the offense with top-notch defenders around him. That's not Portland.

Miami - Too many questions and instability to be considered better than Boston. How long will Wade hold up? What's the deal with Bosh? Will Whiteside resign? Is Whiteside what you really need at the center position? Further, Wade and Dragic are both ball-dominant guards that need the ball in their hands, which also clashes with his style of play.

Atlanta - Age is a factor. Their two main frontcourt pieces are over 30 and playing for major money, and they both have significant injury histories. They've also shown that they simply do not have the team to beat Cleveland losing 12 straight to them, including two playoff series sweeps (even after winning 60 games last year). That's hardly a good situation for them when Cleveland would be the only real opponent in the East, and I don't think Durant gets them over that hump.

Toronto - Again, it's not a great fit: 2 ball-dominant guards, even bigger chokers than OKC in the playoffs, questions about Derozan resigning, questionable frontcourt, etc.

Golden State - Give me a break. It's just not going to happen. Durant would essentially be relegating himself to a top 25 player by giving up and joining the eventual repeat champions.

San Antonio - This team does give me a scare, but they'd have to REALLY do some cap maneuvering to get the space for him. Also, there's serious role and position concerns with Durant joining Kawhi and Leonard, since they're all SF's and PF's.

Boston - Literally the perfect fit for KD. 1) He'd be the unquestioned MAN for the offense with unlimited shot attempts, 2) Cap space for him to bring a friend, 3) Major flexibility for trades, 4) Top 3-5 organization in coaching, management, and ownership, 4) Bright present along with bright future, 5) Perfect role players to surround him with that don't demand the ball to be effective, etc.

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2016, 03:12:04 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
i love all of these.

you think Danny will let us all in that meeting room?
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2016, 03:16:08 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Come on Kevin, don't you want to play on a team where you are the undisputed tallest player?

And best 3 point shooter? And best rebounder? And best free throw shooter? And best shot blocker? And best...oh wait. Never mind.

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2016, 03:36:08 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Kevin, the Celtics badly need another shooter, and a guy up front who can rebound and score.
You would fit nicely in Boston, for a legendary franchise with a solid defense that is close to another championship. You might put them over the hump. Remember, this team was the first to beat the Warriors at home this year. They have the D to do it, with some added offense and rebounding up front. You'd be right up there with Russell, Bird and KG if you made the difference. Carpe diem.

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2016, 04:00:13 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

I think this is their best pitch.

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2016, 04:37:57 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Here's my pitch:

Kevin, if you look up at the rafters and count the banners, you'll get 17.  That's 17 championships.  That's how we measure success.  We don't celebrate making the playoffs.  We don't celebrate winning the division.  We don't even celebrate winning the conference.  You look around the league, and you'll see teams congratulate themselves for playoff appearances or making the conference finals.  Not here.  In Boston we have a single goal, and that is to win NBA titles.  We know you have the same goal.  Let's reach that goal together.

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2016, 05:21:16 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Boston is the only team with:

1) Elite coaching
2) Elite management
3) Owners willing to spend
4) Championship Legacy
5) Already a playoff team w/o Durant
6) Ability to acquire another star via trade
7) Ability to sign another star in free agency
8) Multiple starter+ level players locked into cheap long term deals (IT, Bradley, Crowder)
9) Multiple defensive stars in place
10) Elite fanbase (just ask KG or PP)

If you care about *all* those things, there is no other choice. If you only care about some, then there are multiple options.