Author Topic: Wouldn't Butler , KD, IT trio trump anything OKC can put together?  (Read 5809 times)

Re: Wouldn't Butler , KD, IT trio trump anything OKC can put together?
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2016, 11:44:11 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
No.  Westbrook alone is enough.

This is probably true, but I always wonder in the back of my mind when will Durant finally get tired of playing with him.  Westbrook is fantastic, but highly combustible (good & bad).

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2016, 11:58:39 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532

This is probably true, but I always wonder in the back of my mind when will Durant finally get tired of playing with him.  Westbrook is fantastic, but highly combustible (good & bad).
Durant needs a guy like Westbrook and I think he knows it.  He needs a guy that has no problem being the "villain" and taking the blame.  He needs a guy that can get to the hole and create his own shot.  Durant is a great offensive player, but he isn't all that well rounded and a lot of that is masked because he has Westbrook next to him.  I'd worry a great deal about Durant's efficiency if he went to a team that didn't have a Westbrook type player on it (that is a less a concern in Boston because Thomas is a Westbrook type offensive player - though not nearly as good as a result of his size). 

Westbrook is one of the best players in the world.  You can't just make that up with a bunch of good players, even all star type players, because there is a clear difference between very good and great.  Westbrook is one of the few truly great players (there are 7 and maybe a couple of other such players in the league right now in no particular order - James, Curry, Durant, Westbrook, Paul, Davis, Leonard, and maybe Harden and George - Duncan and Garnett obviously were great but aren't any more).  There are just clear differences between those guys and the rest of the league and you need a lot of all stars to make up the ground between the truly great and the simply very good.  Westbrook alone is worth a couple of all stars, he is just that good. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2016, 12:06:16 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Say we can trade for Butler on draft night

Bos sends : AB, Crowder , #3,Dallas pick
Chi sends : Butler

Leaves us enough cap to sign Durant to a max and Horford for a close to max deal.

Leaves us with

IT                  / Rozier
Butler           / Smart
KD                / Vet
KO               / Mickey
Horford         / Vet

to me that roster is better than anything OKC can put together this year .

That is an absolute overpay for Butler, and I wouldn't even do that without a consent agreement by Durant to come over.

And even then, AB/Crowder would be the perfect players to put next to Durant. Bradley is one of the best at guarding Curry.

Agreed.

I would do this:

# 3
Crowder OR Bradley

for

Butler
# 14

The way I see it Butler is a slight upgrade over Crowder as a player, but Crowder has a ridiculous team friendly long term deal.

The #3 pick is way more valuable than the #14 pick.

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2016, 12:50:09 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Say we can trade for Butler on draft night

Bos sends : AB, Crowder , #3,Dallas pick
Chi sends : Butler

Leaves us enough cap to sign Durant to a max and Horford for a close to max deal.

Leaves us with

IT                  / Rozier
Butler           / Smart
KD                / Vet
KO               / Mickey
Horford         / Vet

to me that roster is better than anything OKC can put together this year .

That is an absolute overpay for Butler, and I wouldn't even do that without a consent agreement by Durant to come over.

And even then, AB/Crowder would be the perfect players to put next to Durant. Bradley is one of the best at guarding Curry.

well it may be an overpay , but well worth it if it gets KD here .

Butler is a 20/5/5 player with all NBA defense . He would be a perfect 2nd option to Durant, and IT would be # 3 option with Horford taking care of business down low .

Plus you still have Smart as an elite defender off the bench , and Rozier who can guard quicker PG's .

Would have to add some shooting on the wing off the bench , and a vet big man .

Butler isn't worth Crowder, Bradley, and our #3. And if I'm being honest, I think Crowder is just as good, if not better than Butler in lieu of his 3 pt shooting, and being more of a leader on and off the court than Butler.

I'm also not convinced Butler is that great of a player as everyone makes him out to be. 20/5/5, and at what cost? Iffy shot selection, leadership issues, mental make up, and the possibility that he may be breaking down due to the overworking of Thibbs tutelage.

Tell me about it.  Say hello to 44 minutes per night Mr. Wiggins.....forever!   :P

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2016, 12:57:16 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
yea basically DA would have to do the same as he did with KG in 2006... If he made a move to get say Butler or even Harden that would entice Durant to come to Boston... still saying it isa bit far fetched but nevertheless a possibility
KG did not sign as a free agent.  Neither did Ray.  So the one caveat is that KD (and Horford) would have to sign with Bos and (I am thinking?) leave a bunch of money on the table.

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2016, 12:58:41 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Definitely an overpay for Butler.   I'm a proponent of trying to get Butler, but trading all three of Avery, Jae AND the #3 pick is way too much.

Also, some chemistry considerations:   Bradley and Durant are apparently good friends (U of Texas connection), while Crowder and Butler are apparently besties (Marquette connection).

I would try to build a package that didn't include either.   Try to sell youth for rebuilding with a package that has Smart or Rozier (someone they were interested in the draft) plus picks.  Use Amir's contract for salary matching.

Even if Durant _didn't_ sign, you'd still have a hell of a young core (Butler, Isaiah, Jae, Avery) under contract.  If you add Durant and a top quality big like Horford, you have a contender to get out of the East for the next few years.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2016, 01:20:46 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
That's what I thought too when I read "Butler, KD and IT" but the OP also proposes signing Horford.  In that case's KD's choice is to play with:
Butler, IT, Horford
or
Westbrook, Ibaka, Adams (or Waiters as 5th option if you like)

In that case, I think KD just might choose Boston.   :P

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2016, 01:29:18 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Yup. The thunder have a losing record over the past two seasons without Durant.  They literally missed the playoffs last year, because he was limited to 27 games.   That team would be lucky to crack 40 wins without him.

Boston won close to 50 this year.  Clearly adding Durant + a player like horford would trump anything the thunder have.  No need to waste assets on jimmy butler to surpass the thunder.

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2016, 01:33:36 PM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
Why would we give up AB for Butler? I would like to hang onto AB since he's our best 2 way player.

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2016, 01:49:14 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Why would we give up AB for Butler? I would like to hang onto AB since he's our best 2 way player.
Butler is a better 2-way player, period.

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2016, 01:50:10 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'd take RW, KD, and Ibaka over that trio.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2016, 02:05:12 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Only trade the #3 pick for Cousins or Okafor. No need for Butler. If we can't trade for Cousins or Oak, then simply draft Bender or Bpa at #3.

Then come back to land Sabonis, Damien Jones, Deyonta Davis, Chriss with the 16th pick or move up to grab them.

Having Bender and Sabonis, Mickey would be a very solid bet that at least one of those three develops into a very good Pro.

Horford
 Sabonis
 Durant
 Bradley
 Thomas

Kelly and Bender can stretch the floor off the bench

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2016, 02:11:51 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Me too.

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2016, 02:18:53 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Me too.

Not to mention Adams.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2016, 02:48:04 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
Me too.

Not to mention Adams.

I say IT, Butler, KD, Horford trumps RW, KD, Ibaka, and Adams. I give the edge to the team with more two-way players.