Author Topic: Early Vegas 16-17 title odds has C's 6th, Nets 30th  (Read 2019 times)

Early Vegas 16-17 title odds has C's 6th, Nets 30th
« on: May 31, 2016, 09:59:35 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Obviously the situation is very fluid and dependent on the draft, trades, and free agency, but it's still nice that early odds has us ascending further up the ladder, while Brooklyn is dead last in a loaded draft class.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/nba-odds-2017-finals-favorites-warriors-cavaliers-thunder-spurs/16pxb4fjyh51q1p2bxkjbllnzw

Team   Opening odds
Golden State WARRIORS   3/2
Cleveland CAVALIERS   5/2
San Antonio SPURS   6/1
Oklahoma City THUNDER   8/1
Los Angeles CLIPPERS   16/1
Boston CELTICS   20/1
Toronto RAPTORS   25/1
Miami HEAT   25/1
Chicago BULLS   40/1
Atlanta HAWKS   40/1
Minnesota TIMBERWOLVES   60/1
New Orleans PELICANS   60/1
Houston ROCKETS   60/1
Portland TRAIL BLAZERS   60/1
Memphis GRIZZLIES   80/1
Utah JAZZ   80/1
Charlotte HORNETS   80/1
Washington WIZARDS   100/1
Indiana PACERS   100/1
Dallas MAVERICKS   100/1
Milwaukee BUCKS   100/1
Detroit PISTONS   100/1
Los Angeles LAKERS   100/1
New York KNICKS   100/1
Sacramento KINGS   100/1
Philadelphia 76ERS   100/1
Orlando MAGIC   100/1
Denver NUGGETS   100/1
Phoenix SUNS   300/1
Brooklyn NETS   500/1

2017 top 5 NBA draft prospects per Chad Ford

1. Josh Jackson
College: Kansas
Guard/forward
6-foot-8, 202 pounds

There's no real consensus among NBA scouts about who should be the 2017 No. 1 pick, but Jackson was the player mentioned most often among the scouts with whom I spoke.

It doesn't take long to see why. He's a long, explosive wing who plays with an elite motor and competitiveness on both ends of the floor. He's aggressive without ever being selfish. He can be a relentless driver to the basket, excellent passer (he might even be able to play a little point guard) and defender of at least three positions on the floor.

His jump shot is his biggest weakness right now. If it isn't broken, it needs a lot of work.

He can also be overly competitive at times (think Marcus Smart), which can get him and his team into trouble. But no one wants to win more than him. He's like Michael Kidd-Gilchrist with a more refined offensive game.

He should be a perfect fit in Lawrence, and I think he'll have the best chance of hearing his name called first in June 2017. I don't think there's a player in this class with more upside.

McDonald's: 19 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists, 9-for-11 shooting in 17 minutes
Hoop Summit: 7 points, 4 rebounds, 1 steal in 13 minutes

2. Harry Giles
College: Duke
Forward
6-11, 222

Giles is the top-ranked player according to our recruiting experts. He would likely have taken the No. 1 spot on this board had he not partially torn the ACL in his left knee last summer. It's his second knee injury in the past two years -- he tore his ACL, MCL and meniscus in his right knee in the summer of 2013 -- and that's what worries scouts right now. Everything else is a wow.

He has elite size and length, is an explosive athlete, plays in attack mode on both ends and just has a great feel for the game. He rebounds, blocks shots and defends in the paint and on the perimeter. He needs to get stronger and to develop more of a face-the-basket game, but we're nitpicking here.

If he recovers fully from his injury and has a huge season at Duke, he'll be strongly in the mix for the No. 1 pick. But until scouts see him healthy, it's hard to project him there for right now.

McDonald's/Hoop Summit: did not play due to injury

3. Markelle Fultz
College: Washington
Guard
6-5, 186

Fultz is another star in the making, as he's shown the past several weeks.

He's a bit of a late bloomer (he didn't make the varsity squad until his junior season), but, man, has he bloomed. He's got the ability to play both the point and the 2. He's a smooth athlete who can score from anywhere on the floor, almost always plays under control and can rack up the steals.

I heard several scouts here say he's a better version of Kentucky's Jamal Murray. That's a huge compliment. While not the same player, they can do many of the same things well, and many scouts are predicting a huge year for Fultz, much like Murray had at Kentucky.

If scouts are convinced he can play the point in the NBA (and most of them were in Portland), he's got a real shot to be a top-five pick.

McDonald's: 10 points, 6 assists, 4 rebounds, 3 steals in 15 minutes
Hoop Summit: 11 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists, 5 steals in 18 minutes

4. Jayson Tatum
College: Duke
Forward
6-8, 204

Tatum has some real appeal. He has elite size for his position and an NBA body. He totally looks the part of an elite NBA wing the same way someone such as Rudy Gay or Harrison Barnes does. He has a refined midrange game, gets out into passing lanes on defense and is a beast in transition.

But it feels like there's something missing with Tatum. His lack of a consistent 3-point shot is part of it, but there's also something about his cool demeanor that turns scouts off just a little as well.

Everyone I spoke with said he is a future NBA player, but no one said that it's obvious he'll be a star in the NBA -- thus he's ranked a little lower here than on most recruiting boards.

McDonald's: 18 points, 5 rebounds, 5-for-15 shooting in 23 minutes
Hoop Summit: 14 points, 4 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals in 17 minutes

5. Jonathan Isaac
College: Florida State
Forward
6-11, 205

Isaac was the the real high riser this week. His size, athleticism and versatility to play both forward positions are intriguing. He's one of the rare players who can both protect the rim and stretch the floor, and he even showed some nice awareness as a passer this week.

He is extremely skinny and lacks toughness, and his 3-point shooting needs some polish. But in terms of pure upside, there aren't many guys who can match his ceiling.

McDonald's: N/A
Hoop Summit: 7 points, 4 rebounds, 2 assists in 20 minutes

Re: Early Vegas 16-17 title odds has C's 6th, Nets 30th
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 10:07:30 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
As a Duke fan I really appreciate Coach K's willingness to embrace the one-and-done rule and consistently pump out top 3 prospects year after year.  Him and Calipari have a pseudo-rivalry going and typically compete for the top guys against each other.

Edge goes to Cal in recruiting top talent but Duke has enjoyed a bit more team success.

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 10:15:03 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
As for the odds of where each team lands, they're pretty meaningless.  We'll see where things stand after the summer.

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 10:27:05 AM »

Offline i believe in brad

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 30
As for the odds of where each team lands, they're pretty meaningless.  We'll see where things stand after the summer.

Not completely meaningless, books don't make any $ by giving out bad lines.  I expected them between 40-1 and 60-1 before any offseason moves, but clearly the books wouldn't feel comfortable offering that right off the bat. 

Obviously not perfect or exact by any means, but basically I feel better about vegas declaring us a pre-offseason top 6 team than any 538/espn ranking.

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 10:32:19 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think that number is about to go down. Anyone who bets us now will regret it, imo.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 10:39:09 AM »

Offline LHR

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • Executive Producer & Host: Celtics Beat Podcast
The best bet is that the Nets will be the worst team in the league next season. So confident in that.
Author: Fall of the Boston Celtics
Available Here: http://www.clnsradio/LHRbook

EP & Host: Celtics Beat Podcast
Available here: http://apple.co/1E29sq0

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 10:47:51 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
I think that number is about to go down. Anyone who bets us now will regret it, imo.

Yeah, the Celtics being that high in Vegas' eyes is a clear indication these numbers are based on the currently very high public perception of the Celtics, and specifically, their assets.

Thus why I don't consider the odds worthwhile.

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 11:24:01 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
Unfortunately, the Nets have no reason to continue being bad until the 2018-2019 season, when they definitely need to be bad. I could see them signing some decent players to Amir Johnson type overpay contracts that are guaranteed for two years. The Nets will be bad but, perhaps, not as bad as we might hope. They may feel the need to placate their fan base. Our hope is that someone might offer draft picks that might entice them to trade Lopez. 

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 02:46:26 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
I can't believe they have the Spurs paying 6/1. Seems like a steal.

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 02:48:09 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Unfortunately, the Nets have no reason to continue being bad until the 2018-2019 season, when they definitely need to be bad. I could see them signing some decent players to Amir Johnson type overpay contracts that are guaranteed for two years. The Nets will be bad but, perhaps, not as bad as we might hope. They may feel the need to placate their fan base. Our hope is that someone might offer draft picks that might entice them to trade Lopez.

All of that was true this year and they came in 3rd to last.  The main difference was they also got a good draft pick (RHJ) who helped them a lot and they're not even getting that this year.  They are also trying to get FAs in the one year when every other team has money.  Additionally, this year was a 2 player draft, but next year is like a 5-7 player draft.  It's STACKED.

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2016, 02:53:18 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
The best bet is that the Nets will be the worst team in the league next season. So confident in that.

That works for me. I even know who we will draft:

It doesn't take long to see why. He's a long, explosive wing who plays with an elite motor and competitiveness on both ends of the floor. He's aggressive without ever being selfish. He can be a relentless driver to the basket, excellent passer (he might even be able to play a little point guard) and defender of at least three positions on the floor.

His jump shot is his biggest weakness right now. If it isn't broken, it needs a lot of work.

"elite motor," "competitiveness," "aggressive without ever being selfish," "jump shot is his biggest weakness"

A high-motor guy who can't shoot? He has Celtics written all over him.

Mike

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2016, 03:01:51 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Title odds for next season before the draft or free agency have even happened .... doesn't mean much.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2016, 05:38:30 PM »

Offline ahonui06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 27
I like those odds. 2017 pick swap looking great.

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2016, 06:06:17 PM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
Nets last is a good sign, Lakers and Sixers should both be better. The 20-1 on Boston will look good with 2 great additions in FA, a top trade and the improvement from having a young squad. Gotta be worth $5? Get it now while still available.

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2016, 08:30:12 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

That works for me. I even know who we will draft:

"elite motor," "competitiveness," "aggressive without ever being selfish," "jump shot is his biggest weakness"

A high-motor guy who can't shoot? He has Celtics written all over him.

Mike
An might you be willing to share,the name of this player?

I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva