Author Topic: NBA Finals 2015-2016 thread  (Read 160756 times)

Re: NBA Finals 2015-2016 thread
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2016, 01:40:47 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697
I think Lebron knows he better win it this year, because a revamped C's team is coming for him next season!

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2016, 01:44:09 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Warriors in six.

I think the Warriors are clearly better than the Cavs. I don't see how the Cavs can keep their best players on the floor against this Warriors team.

The Cavs can bring size to bear and they have good outside shooting. What they can't do is beat the Warriors with size, athleticism, and shooting in any particular lineup. The Cavs will have to pick and choose due to the limitations of their main guys apart from LeBron. That's not something you can afford to do against this Warriors team.

That said, Bron will win a game on the road. That's what he does. He always gets one on the road. Probably in the first two games. So I see this as a series that could go four or five based on the disparity between the teams, but LeBron will make it go six.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2016, 01:55:43 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Warriors in 5.

Even I was getting scared watching the Cavs steamroll the Raptors. This could be the year, I thought. Last year they didn't have Love and Irving. This year they're back, plus they've got certain new guys like Channing Frye and they look deadly. Uh oh.

Then I remembered one important fact: They were playing the Raptors. Meanwhile, the Warriors just beat a red-hot Thunder team that was playing its best ball of the season, and had just rolled over a 67-win Spurs team.
This is what's going to happen: The Warriors will win both at home, and one of two in Cleveland. Then they'll finish it off in Oakland in game 5.

The Cavs have not faced any significant adversity in these playoffs. When put to the fire, they will resort to Lebron and Kyrie hero ball. Guys like Love, Frye, etc. will essentially become ball watchers sitting on the perimeter, and all that team chemistry they've built up over the first three rounds will be gone. The ball movement and the defensive rotations will slow down. With great talent you can survive like that for spurts, maybe even for a game or two. But you can't beat a 73-win team with that formula.
This

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2016, 02:10:41 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Yea I think Love/Frye/Irving will be exposed on the defensive end big time.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2016, 02:13:34 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Moment of truth for Kevin Love. Just how painfully bad a defender he truly is.

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2016, 02:56:21 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Hoping that finally squashes the Love-to-Boston sentiment.

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2016, 06:17:48 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 864
  • GOT IT!!!

Yep. His play is the X-Factor in determining how well Cleveland does in this series.

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2016, 06:41:33 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 323
Golden State seems like the majority favorite, and for good reason, but I'm not going to underestimate LeBron's drive to bring Cleveland a title. This is a big Finals for him—he's a mere 2-5 in Finals appearances, with both wins coming in Miami, so his Cleveland legacy (along with, perhaps, his NBA legacy) is on the line.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2016, 10:28:08 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Golden State seems like the majority favorite, and for good reason, but I'm not going to underestimate LeBron's drive to bring Cleveland a title. This is a big Finals for him—he's a mere 2-5 in Finals appearances, with both wins coming in Miami, so his Cleveland legacy (along with, perhaps, his NBA legacy) is on the line.

2-4 iirc

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2016, 10:45:24 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Starters

PG: S.Curry vs Irving = advantage GSW
SG: K.Thompson vs JR Smith = advantage GSW
SF: Iguodala vs LeBron = advantage CLE
PF: Draymond Green vs K-Love = advantage GSW
 C: Bogut vs T.Thompson

3 advantageous matchups for GSW to 1 for CLE

Bench

PG: S.Livingston vs Delladova = neutral
SG: L.Barbosa vs  Shumpert = advantage CLE
SF: H.Barnes vs R.Jefferson = advantage GSW
PF: Speights vs Frye = advantage CLE
 C: Ezeli vs Mozgov = neutral

2 advantages to 1 for Cleveland.
Others

Head Coach: Steve Kerr vs Ty Lue = advantage GSW
3rd string big: Varejao vs S.Kaun = advantage GSW
3rd string wing: B.Rush vs J.Jomes = advantage GSW
3rd string guard: I.Clark vs Mo Williams = advantage CLE

Advantage for GSW in coaching.
Smaller 2-to-1 advantage in end of bench.

Overall

Golden State has more advantageous matchups than Cleveland.

Looks like the two key matchups are with LeBron's supporting stars Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love. If Kyrie can battle Steph Curry close, that could swing things CLE's way.

I'd like to see CLE go small with their starting lineup. Make Bogut defend K-Love. I think that could help get more out of Love.

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2016, 10:57:09 AM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349

2-4 iirc

you don't recall correctly  ;D

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2016, 10:58:54 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

2-4 iirc

you don't recall correctly  ;D

0-1 with Cavs, 2-2 with Miami, and then 0-1 with Cavs again.  2-4.  He recalls correctly.

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2016, 02:23:45 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
Starters

Bench

Others

Overall

Looks like the two key matchups are with LeBron's supporting stars Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love. If Kyrie can battle Steph Curry close, that could swing things CLE's way.

I'd like to see CLE go small with their starting lineup. Make Bogut defend K-Love. I think that could help get more out of Love.
Love will outscore and outrebound Green.  Love will also shoot better than Green.  Not sure why you then call that an advantage to GS.  Iggy doesn't start, Barnes does (though it doesn't really affect your analysis).  Tristan will outperform Bogut in virtually every way.  Thus that would be an advantage to Cleveland.  So that would be 3 advantages to 2 for Cleveland from the starting 5 and Cleveland still has the best player in this series.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2016, 03:48:53 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Starters

Bench

Others

Overall

Love will outscore and outrebound Green.  Love will also shoot better than Green.  Not sure why you then call that an advantage to GS.  Iggy doesn't start, Barnes does (though it doesn't really affect your analysis).  Tristan will outperform Bogut in virtually every way.  Thus that would be an advantage to Cleveland.  So that would be 3 advantages to 2 for Cleveland from the starting 5 and Cleveland still has the best player in this series.

I see Draymond Green as having the advantage over Kevin Love because of the difference in their respective defensive abilities. Both individual defense + team defense. Whereas Draymond Green makes a large contribution to making GSW a top defensive team, Kevin Love is the opposite and is a liability that exposes an otherwise high level defensive team to the Warriors offense.

I feel Tristan Thompson and Andrew Bogut are fairly even. Different strengths defensively. Thompson quicker and better defending away from the rim. Bogut a better shot-blocker and more of a deterrent in the paint. Thompson better in transition offense and cutting. Bogut a better facilitator with his passing and screen-setting. Thompson should have an advantage on the boards with his quickness and mobility ... but I didn't think that was enough to give him a matchup advantage. Too even.

That is how I see things anyway.

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2016, 04:02:39 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
Starters

Bench

Others

Overall

I see Draymond Green as having the advantage over Kevin Love because of the difference in their respective defensive abilities. Both individual defense + team defense. Whereas Draymond Green makes a large contribution to making GSW a top defensive team, Kevin Love is the opposite and is a liability that exposes an otherwise high level defensive team to the Warriors offense.

I feel Tristan Thompson and Andrew Bogut are fairly even. Different strengths defensively. Thompson quicker and better defending away from the rim. Bogut a better shot-blocker and more of a deterrent in the paint. Thompson better in transition offense and cutting. Bogut a better facilitator with his passing and screen-setting. Thompson should have an advantage on the boards with his quickness and mobility ... but I didn't think that was enough to give him a matchup advantage. Too even.

That is how I see things anyway.
Fair enough points, though I expect Love to be on Bogut and Thompson to be on Green and if you will recall Thompson absolutely shut Green down last year.  I expect to see that again.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip