Author Topic: How the Durant to Boston dream can work  (Read 1921 times)

How the Durant to Boston dream can work
« on: May 30, 2016, 11:48:46 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Throw this plan out there to Durant and see what he says.

Step 1 - Convince Durant and Horford to team up with Boston, which would require us waiving Amir and JJ and letting Sully and Zeller go.

Step 2 - Trade for Ibaka with something like Rozier, Young, Hunter, other salary filler, and the Brooklyn pick (other 2016 picks if needed, too). OKC will most likely blow it up if Durant signs somewhere else, especially with Westbrook and Ibaka being  free agents next year. I'd expect them to trade Westbrook to LA for something like the #2 pick, Russell, and whatever else it costs.

Step 3 - Resign Turner going over the cap and using what little cap space we have left.

Step 4 - Attract vet minimum players ring-chasing (Martin, West, etc.)

That leaves us with the following roster:

PG: IT, Smart
SG: Bradley, Turner
SF: Durant, Crowder
PF: Ibaka, Mickey
C: Horford, KO

That's a ridiculous two-way roster that is super balanced with excellent shooting, perimeter and interior defense, and the strongest bench in the league. Add in the fact that we have an excellent future with cap space and draft picks, and that's a potential dynasty for years to come.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 11:55:15 PM by jpotter33 »

Re: How the Durant to Boston dream can work
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 12:02:37 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I know it sounds crazy, but I think Marc Gasol would be the perfect center to put on the Celtics with Durant signed in the off-season. I don't think Ibaka would be necessary. I actually think a platoon of Amir Johnson, Jerebko, and hopefully Mickey can be the floor spacing 4's that can stretch the defense, and protect the perimeter/switch well enough.

Plus OKC would ask for the moon for Ibaka, and only Ibaka would be a positive if Durant truly wanted to play with his good friend.

But as Kevin Garnett once said, "ANYTHING IS POSSIBLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"

If KD came to BOS, how would you guys feel about a reunion with Paul Pierce, Perkins, or even Allen/Garnett coming back?

I would love their mentorship and their ability to make clutch plays. I would love to see any of those players get a ring again, and even Rondo if he came back for extremely dirt cheap.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 12:09:50 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
I know it sounds crazy, but I think Marc Gasol would be the perfect center to put on the Celtics with Durant signed in the off-season. I don't think Ibaka would be necessary. I actually think a platoon of Amir Johnson, Jerebko, and hopefully Mickey can be the floor spacing 4's that can stretch the defense, and protect the perimeter/switch well enough.

Plus OKC would ask for the moon for Ibaka, and only Ibaka would be a positive if Durant truly wanted to play with his good friend.

If KD came to BOS, how would you guys feel about a reunion with Paul Pierce, Perkins, or even Allen/Garnett coming back?

I would love their mentorship and their ability to make clutch plays. I would love to see any of those players get a ring again, and even Rondo if he came back for extremely dirt cheap.

PP would still be helpful off of the bench.

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 12:17:50 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618

Doesn't sound crazy at all. Marc Gasol would be an absolute perfect fit. If Conley leaves, Danny  probably offers three first rounders and youth - Rozier and another. Amir could re-sign, so could JJ and we would stay under the cap (just), so there is no need to have salary going the other way (unless Memphis really want Amir or JJ for some arcane reason, and if so, fine, gift wrap them).

Barring any other big free agents deals longer than a year our 17-18 wage bill would be only around 65 mill. Probably small enough to fit maybe two max guys if the cap keeps exploding at the current rate.

"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 12:35:37 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

Step 1 - Convince Durant and Horford to team up with Boston, which would require us waiving Amir and JJ and letting Sully and Zeller go.

Step 2 - Trade for Ibaka with something like Rozier, Young, Hunter, other salary filler, and the Brooklyn pick (other 2016 picks if needed, too). OKC will most likely blow it up if Durant signs somewhere else, especially with Westbrook and Ibaka being  free agents next year. I'd expect them to trade Westbrook to LA for something like the #2 pick, Russell, and whatever else it costs.

Step 3 - Resign Turner going over the cap and using what little cap space we have left.

That's a ridiculous two-way roster that is super balanced with excellent shooting, perimeter and interior defense, and the strongest bench in the league. Add in the fact that we have an excellent future with cap space and draft picks, and that's a potential dynasty for years to come.

Why would Durant leave his current OKC team for this Boston team that isn't much better than what he currently has?   Ibaka = Ibaka.  Westbrook is far better than IT4.  Bradley is better than Roberson but they'd have a similar role on a Durant-focused team with a super scoring PG.  Horford slightly better than Adams and their ages don't point to that continuing for much longer.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 12:48:52 AM »

Offline adam.jones614

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 6

Why would Durant leave his current OKC team for this Boston team that isn't much better than what he currently has?   Ibaka = Ibaka.  Westbrook is far better than IT4.  Bradley is better than Roberson but they'd have a similar role on a Durant-focused team with a super scoring PG.  Horford slightly better than Adams and their ages don't point to that continuing for much longer.

First being they are in the east. Second being IT4 and Durants style of play IMO mesh better than Durant/Westbrook. Also as you said Bradley >> Roberson and Horford>>>Adams. Plus that bench destroys OKC's.

Though instead of Ibaka, I'd just trade #3 straight up for Okafor.

IT
Bradley
Durant
Horford
Okafor.

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 01:01:52 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith

Because OKC is singlehandedly disproving the assumption that you're working on - talent beats fit. Westbrook and Durant are two highly talented players, but their styles just don't match. The team that I proposed is much better than that OKC team due to much better fitting pieces, much more two-way pieces, and a better bench, coaching, and management, along with a much brighter future.

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 04:53:31 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

TP monkhouse, Gasol would be a perfect fit here and a great asset to lure Durant. I think the most likely way for us to push on this offseason would be to trade for one player and sign the other in FA. This would mean we would still retain flexibility for 2017 to make one further push if necessary or have the room to re-sign some of our guys like Bradley or Thomas in the future.

Sign me up for Gasol and then let's hope for Durant

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 07:27:12 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Gasol would be a perfect fit here and a great asset to lure Durant.

Always nice to have a small window of contention.