Author Topic: Marquese Chriss  (Read 18370 times)

Marquese Chriss
« on: May 30, 2016, 09:46:08 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I keep taking **** here and elsewhere for my desire to nab this player. I hear the same stuff: 'so in so is the 3rd best prospect in this draft'.... Like anyone has any idea who is or who isn't.

Challenge yourself to stop reading mock drafts -- look at this kid with no filter and tell me he doesn't have upside as high as any player in this draft.

Go to YouTube and watch each of his NIT games. What I see is a young Amare Stodemire with arguably better athleticism, not to mention better shooting and dribbling fundamentals, at his age.

If we draft Buddy Heild over this kid, or we trade the pick for Jahlil 'DFL in RPM' Okafor instead, I'm gonna have a nervous breakdown...
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Re: Marquese Chriss
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 09:48:42 PM »

Offline CelticsFan166

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 133
I'm with you. I'd definitely trade back to get him, but his inside-outside game and athleticism makes me really like him. Had no idea who he was a few months ago but I watched a ton of his highlights and have come around on him.

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 09:56:04 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Problem with trading back: Minny would be the obvious and safe choice, and Thibs isn't going to want to trade up to #3. I'm not comfortable trading back later than #5, maybe #6 to get Chriss.

I proposed at CHI ~ MIN ~ BOS deal here a few days ago that would net both Butler and the #5 pick. If the Cs can land a vet for #3, I'd love to see them acquire #5 from Minny.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 10:14:49 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I think in terms of upside Chriss is a great pick, and whoever gets him at 4, 5, or 6, will be really happy about that upside for years to come. And maybe they'll wind up with a star.

He's a heck of a lottery ticket, but gun to my head, I don't think the kid pans out like a top-6 pick.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 10:19:32 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Definitely has huge upside. My only concern is his poor rebounding.

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 10:44:44 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Definitely has huge upside. My only concern is his poor rebounding.

Based on what I've seen, rebounding hasn't been pushed with this kid. He's a nasty offensive rebounder when he wants to be. He's obviously still far from a finished product.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 10:44:52 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I'm very high on Chriss.  I have a hard time believing he can't learn to box out and defensive rebound and then he has a whole lot of other things going for him.  I would love to trade back a bit in the draft and take him like 7-8 or so.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 10:48:31 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
I'm very high on Chriss.  I have a hard time believing he can't learn to box out and defensive rebound and then he has a whole lot of other things going for him.  I would love to trade back a bit in the draft and take him like 7-8 or so.

What if you can't? What if you have to pick at #3?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 10:50:58 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

What if you can't? What if you have to pick at #3?

It's pretty tempting there for sure.  If it happened I would not be upset knowing how hard it can be to trade on draft day.  Personally he is the guy I would be most excited to draft this year outside the top 2.  He would give us some things this team does not have (athleticism, length, lob threat) and shooting too.  Seems like a great fit.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 11:23:07 PM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2016, 10:54:58 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
I'd say Josh Smith is a better comparison. People quickly forget how dominant Amar'e could be in his prime.

Now, Josh Smith with his head screwed on straight, under a coach with his head screwed on straight, could have been/was a tremendous player. It's hard to tell just how good Smith could have been. There's no doubt Chriss can do things many players can't, like J Smoove. But concerns about Chriss' commitment to the game scare me into thinking there's a higher chance he becomes bad Josh Smith than he does good Josh Smith.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2016, 10:55:21 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I would love to get one of Chriss or Deytona Davis. They are longer term projects but both have great potential at the nba level.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2016, 12:15:05 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I prefer Deyonta Davis myself. 

But I'm open to an athletic big man like Chriss.  But not with #3. 
IF we could package our later picks to move up, that would be cool.

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2016, 12:15:18 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Chriss's lack of defensive rebounding shouldn't be poo-poohed. His 10.7% DRB rate must be historically bad for a PF... if everyone on your entire team--not just the bigs, but the guards too--had that DRB%, then you'd give up an offensive rebounding rate of 46.5% to the opposing team! Even Bender, who is correctly criticized for his mediocre rebounding, posted a 16.1DRB% this year.

Unlike shooting and turnovers, rebounding is not something that prospects tend to improve at. What you see is what you get. In Chriss's case, you're giving up multiple possessions every game, many of which will lead to easy tip-ins and free throws. I do see Chriss's appeal, but I think his lack of rebounding really limits his defensive upside, so I wouldn't pick him in the top 10.

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2016, 12:34:08 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
I think in terms of upside Chriss is a great pick, and whoever gets him at 4, 5, or 6, will be really happy about that upside for years to come. And maybe they'll wind up with a star.

He's a heck of a lottery ticket, but gun to my head, I don't think the kid pans out like a top-6 pick.

Great one liner Indeed Tp. Gun to my head is so much better than "in a vacuum"

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2016, 12:54:05 AM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
We should be able to get him at 16.