Author Topic: Rumors: Boston Celtics might trade 3rd overall pick in 2016 NBA draft for Okafor  (Read 40997 times)

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I don't agree that Okafor couldn't fit on the Celts.

Okafor has shown a decent jumper. He could use a lot of the same types of possessions Sullinger got and do more with them

On top of that, there is room in this anemic offense for a guy who can get the ball at the free throw line after a couple actions and then just do his thing to create a shot for himself or draw a double and then pass to a weak side shooter. That's better than what the Celts often do now, which is give it to Evan Turner to free style from fifteen feet.

The big question marks for me with Okafor are on defense and defensive rebounding. Those are real concerns, but he's only played a single season in the league, and the fact he had success at Duke makes me think he is coachable.

Even in a best case scenario, I think maximizing Okafor will require finding a four who can cover his weaknesses. That wouldn't be easy, but Okafor has the offensive talent to make it worth it.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
To those pointing out okafor' weaknesses, Golden State ( I know it's golden state) does it without a rim protector of inside threat.

Andrew Bogut isn't a rim protector?

He's top ten in the playoffs in blocks per game and he's only playing 18 minutes per.

He was also tied in 11th for the regular season.

Bogut is a top ten defensive big man in the league. He might not be a superstar but his role on the Warriors is to be a rim protector and he's pretty darn good at it.

Bogut has become pretty irrelevant at least in just finished series vs OKC.

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

I could see him fitting in as a sixth man scorer off the bench.  If the Celtics traded for him, I could totally see him starting the season as a starter and ending it as a reserve.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I could see him fitting in as a sixth man scorer off the bench.  If the Celtics traded for him, I could totally see him starting the season as a starter and ending it as a reserve.

That sounds about right, at least in terms of his fit next season based on what kind of player he is right now.

Could see him being an offense / defense tandem with Amir.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

That sounds about right, at least in terms of his fit next season based on what kind of player he is right now.

Like Taj Gibson and Carlos Boozer?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

What are we willing to give up for a platoon big man?

I love a good post-up game, but to be honest, I'm really hungry for more two-way players.

I don't want to give up a lot for yet another player who plays on just one end of the court.   

I guess that's why I find Bender's two-way upside more interesting and why if we are trading, I'd rather trade for a two-way player like Butler.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I agree that two way players are what the celts really need -- what every team really needs.

But I don't think butler or cousins will be available, and while I like bender, I'm not one hundred percent confident he is a better bet than Okafor.

Okafor might be a platoon big man to begin with, but I think he could blossom into an excellent offensive piece similar to Pau Gasol or Brook Lopez, who utilizes natural size and coordination to become an adequate team defender at the 5, comparable to same.

Would I prefer to get a versatile two way impact wing or combo forward?  Yes. But the celts probably missed out on getting that kind of player, at least an elite caliber one, when they failed to move up in the lottery.

What I like so much about Okafor is that he'd give the celtics an honest to goodness mismatch threat, a guy who brings size and skill that only a few teams can match at the center position.

He's a project in most areas aside from post scoring, but isn't that why we have this supposedly great coach, plus a deep supporting cast of scrappy wing defenders?
- Mark Twain

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I agree that two way players are what the celts really need -- what every team really needs.

But I don't think butler or cousins will be available, and while I like bender, I'm not one hundred percent confident he is a better bet than Okafor.

Okafor might be a platoon big man to begin with, but I think he could blossom into an excellent offensive piece similar to Pau Gasol or Brook Lopez, who utilizes natural size and coordination to become an adequate team defender at the 5, comparable to same.

Would I prefer to get a versatile two way impact wing or combo forward?  Yes. But the celts probably missed out on getting that kind of player, at least an elite caliber one, when they failed to move up in the lottery.

What I like so much about Okafor is that he'd give the celtics an honest to goodness mismatch threat, a guy who brings size and skill that only a few teams can match at the center position.

He's a project in most areas aside from post scoring, but isn't that why we have this supposedly great coach, plus a deep supporting cast of scrappy wing defenders?
TP. If he is with us and our organization I see him growing into a great player. He was only a rookie and still has a lot of upside with sculpting his body, which is currently 280lbs solid, 7'6'' wingspan and 9'3'' standing reach.

He has nimble feet, graceful post moves, and the frame and natural skills to improve with us.

I like his shot and the form on it, just surprised how little he took anything from 10-15ft. IMO he will be nailing 10-15 ft jumpers and hit out to 19ft (which he has the ability) if the defense gives it to him. Most of his missed fga were actually blocked shots bc he just never liked to shoot even when given a ten footer, so the defense would pack it in and he would still score lol or get blocked.

IMO with us, he will become a legit 2 way player. Very undervalued right now.
Caris Levert is legit and imo we need to grab him but obv at the latest possible.
Thon would be great at 23 but he may get picked before that.

Also. if Jabari is available I'd love to pair them together. I think Jabari's 3 will start falling eventually. But that would mean Ainge is taking the team in a dif direction from IT/AB/Crowder.

• Ray Allen

What are we willing to give up for a platoon big man?

I love a good post-up game, but to be honest, I'm really hungry for more two-way players.

I don't want to give up a lot for yet another player who plays on just one end of the court.   

I guess that's why I find Bender's two-way upside more interesting and why if we are trading, I'd rather trade for a two-way player like Butler.
You remember who I wanted...but Okafor has more potential IMO then you give him credit for. Every rookie big man ever has had to work on their bodies, same for okafor. He is already a solid 280 and early on that may have its advantages and disadvantages. Because he already has the bulk he can grow into it and sculpt it. But at first it prob is harder to rotate on defense and etc.

He was only a rookie and 1 and done in college. With his frame and length:7'6.25'' wingspan, 9'3'' standing reach, huge hands to palm the ball, and solid 280; I think most guys his age would be able to improve their bodies pretty darn well. Okafor may just be a legit defensive 5.

Obv teams really went at his weaknesses and packed it in on defense and attacked him and forced rotations on offense.

Offensively
His post-game and is off the charts. 
He can dribble and has the handles to take any big to the rim.
You would love his fade-away, running baby hook.
He has a great touch and great hands.
He has a great stroke that is very underrated, and if not for this I would not be nearly as high on his potential.Feel free to look for yourself. I will add a link of his postgame and you should be able to tell that the dude has a stroke, just needs to use it to knock down 10-15ft and that will open the game up for Okafor and the TEAM.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZihwmQ3PaC8
Defensively
He blocked 2 shots a game for the beginning of the season.
Needs to get better conditioning
Needs to get stronger and quicker laterally
i'M DEF REPEATING MYSELF
Needs to be a Celtic and have our organization

• Ray Allen

Okafor has shown a decent jumper. He could use a lot of the same types of possessions Sullinger got and do more with them

On top of that, there is room in this anemic offense for a guy who can get the ball at the free throw line after a couple actions and then just do his thing to create a shot for himself or draw a double and then pass to a weak side shooter. That's better than what the Celts often do now, which is give it to Evan Turner to free style from fifteen feet.

The big question marks for me with Okafor are on defense and defensive rebounding. Those are real concerns, but he's only played a single season in the league, and the fact he had success at Duke makes me think he is coachable.

Even in a best case scenario, I think maximizing Okafor will require finding a four who can cover his weaknesses. That wouldn't be easy, but Okafor has the offensive talent to make it worth it.
Let Oak grow Pho

The first few years after hs are pivotal years when a young man grows physically. I expect that his weaknesses on D will reduce drastically if you mic CBS/Celts coaching and his body getting quicker and stronger and better conditioning. Also more experience.

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232

Idk about an Amir/Okafor combo. We really don't have enough perimeter shooters to make that possible. Amir really seemed to lose his outside shot last year, and teams would really pack it in against them, making it really difficult for IT/Smart/whoever to drive.

I'm not really against trading for Okafor at all, but I'm not interested in trading #3 or more for him.

If we traded for him, he has to be the lead guy of the 2nd unit. That's the only way Brad can try to make it work, because it allows the starting line-up to stay true to it's identity and gives you a consistent way to get buckets when Thomas is off the floor. But you'd still have to really cater that line-up to accentuate Okafor's strengths and hide his weaknesses. You need a 4 who can rebound well, defend well, and shoot well. Not easy to find (maybe Mickey one day?). And it would be best to surround him with 4 3 point shooters, so that he'd have more room to work down low and could hopefully find a few easy dishes to the perimeter. His passing skills are already suspect, so playing him with a guy like Amir means a few possessions a game of Okafor taking on 3 guys trying to score.

If were trading #3 and Smart or Bradley or something for him, you'd have to be pretty hopeful he'll improve enough in other areas to be that kind featured player in the starting line-up. The best or 2nd best player on a contender. I'm just not that hopeful I guess.

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71

This is a joke right? So, now we're trading our pick for a sixth man, to play back up to our team of sixth men? And Okafor is a punk. Not sure I want him, especially if they want more than the third pick straight up
Truuuuuuuuuth!

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

That's a really great way to look at it. I also don't agree with the 'Okafor don't fit' nonsense.
This is Brad Stevens. He'll make it work and he'll mold this kid as a 20 year old.
He's so experienced with motivating young guys like Okafor he'd be absolutely perfect for him.

But yeah, the Sully analogy is perfect. Oke obviously hast to rebound more for us, but he'd have a much better defensive supporting cast around him to motivate/teach and also literally help in the court.
It will be much easier for Oke to grab rebounds with team mates like Crowder, Bradley and Smart all boxing out their man correctly.

Oke will have to develop a longer range game, but again, he's 20.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Come on DA ,  " get er dun " already.

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

This is a joke right? So, now we're trading our pick for a sixth man, to play back up to our team of sixth men? And Okafor is a punk. Not sure I want him, especially if they want more than the third pick straight up

I'm not joking, but I also don't think highly of Okafor.