Author Topic: Rumors: Boston Celtics might trade 3rd overall pick in 2016 NBA draft for Okafor  (Read 41088 times)

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Regardless he is undervalued.

Not on this board. He's the most overvalued NBA player discussed here over the past few months. It's pretty strange.

Meanwhile, there's no rumor here. A rumor is when an individual or institution breaks new information that has yet to be reported, and is not yet firmly confirmed. A rumor is NOT when someone pieces together old articles and decides something "make sense". If it were, any one of us could start a blog and post rumors all day.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Your judging him on his sole year in the league after playing 1 season in college.
But he has more room to grow than you care to admit. Regardless he is undervalued.

I think what most peoples points are that the Okafor's flaws are possible unfixable red flags.

-Very slow lateral movement
-Very poor vertical leap
-Terrible mid/3 point jumpshot & unwilling to work on
-Poor defensive instincts
-Poor rebound instincts
-Weight issues at a very young age
-Attitude issues; unwilling to run back on defence, refusal to modify game

These all point to unfixable problems, the only possible hope for him is that he has a Draymond/ Sir Charles awakening and puts in massive efforts to correct his flaws but it doesn't look like his personality.

Calling those issues, some of which I contest, all unfixable is simply not true and represent a massive distortion of a first-year player on a historically bad team

Unless, of course, you have no faith whatsoever in Brad Stevens.

The agendas on this board never cease to amaze me.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
To those pointing out okafor' weaknesses, Golden State ( I know it's golden state) does it without a rim protector of inside threat.

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
But with us being one of the worst 3 point shooting teams in the whole league and we still run a 3 point chucking system may indicate this is the only style Brad knows how to coach can coach .

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
First and foremost this isnt a rumor, just speculation... and obvious speculation since Okafor is on the block and DA already offered that pick for him... However Hincke's desperate move is now devaluing his stock so maybe DA can get him for less...

Personally I think DA will try to pull together a KG, RAY, PP like trio again... Using IT as a recruiter to target a bigger FA as well as trading the 3rd pick for the likes of a Butler or Cousins... Again he will TRY to do this and while its unlikely then he may look at Okafor if bigger plans fail..

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
To those pointing out okafor' weaknesses, Golden State ( I know it's golden state) does it without a rim protector of inside threat.

Andrew Bogut isn't a rim protector?

He's top ten in the playoffs in blocks per game and he's only playing 18 minutes per.

He was also tied in 11th for the regular season.

Bogut is a top ten defensive big man in the league. He might not be a superstar but his role on the Warriors is to be a rim protector and he's pretty darn good at it.

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Golden State is full of athletes that can switch onto anyone at any time.  Okafor is even less capable of switching on D than he is protecting the rim
I'm bitter.

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777

Andrew Bogut isn't a rim protector?

He's top ten in the playoffs in blocks per game and he's only playing 18 minutes per.

He was also tied in 11th for the regular season.

Bogut is a top ten defensive big man in the league. He might not be a superstar but his role on the Warriors is to be a rim protector and he's pretty darn good at it.

Yeah, between bogut and green, the frontcourt defense is pretty good for GS.

I am very hesitant around okafor. Im not sure he fits with ball movement, defense, etc. I think it has become more clear than ever that just saying "but 17 and 7" without consideration of team offense efficiency, defense, etc, is a pretty old fashioned approach that makes you overpay for glitz of numbers but not team success.

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Your judging him on his sole year in the league after playing 1 season in college.
But he has more room to grow than you care to admit. Regardless he is undervalued.

I think what most peoples points are that the Okafor's flaws are possible unfixable red flags.

-Very poor vertical leap
-Poor rebound instincts

These all point to unfixable problems, the only possible hope for him is that he has a Draymond/ Sir Charles awakening and puts in massive efforts to correct his flaws but it doesn't look like his personality.

Calling those issues, some of which I contest, all unfixable is simply not true and represent a massive distortion of a first-year player on a historically bad team

Yeah, some of those (especially the shooting) are easily fixable, and some of the others just speak of a poorly disciplined team.  I'm no Okafor fan, but some of the criticism he gets is totally unwarranted.  In the right situation with a good coach and strong vets some of those issues would disappear.

I don't know that you're the best person to talk about how some people on this board have "agendas", though...
I'm bitter.

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
It would be one thing to just swap olynyk and sully for okafor. Losing the #3 and the chance at an all around star or to use it for someone better than okafor is less appealing.

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
Am I crazy for wanting to draft Bender instead of acquiring Okafor? I wonder if there was some way to package our other picks and get a guy like Hield with the 8th pick or something.

I certainly think you are.

Not crazy at al. Well, maybe the drafting Bender part, but not on Okafor. This is a dude who you'll have to design your whole offense around to get a positive contribution from, but he's not talented enough to justify doing that.

For every bucket Okafor gets, he'll be taking a bucket away from IT, Crowder, Bradley, etc. I get that people are desperate for an other offensive option, but Okafor is far too flawed on both sides of the ball to justify giving up our best asset for

Trade Rozier, 16 and 31 for Noel and we'd be much better off in the long run, even if we have to give Noel 10$M a year next summer.

This just isn't true, If Okafor comes here Coach Stevens is not going to build the offense around him.

He's going to have one of the best post up options in the league to dump it into when he wants. Last year Okafor played 30 mins a game and avg 17.5 ppg. My guess is that next year if he was on the Celtics he'd play 27 mpg and avg about 16ppg and his fg% would go up to around.530%

When we got beat by Charlotte you saw how nice it is to have an unstoppable post precense on your team. It's a great option. He's 20 coach decides how much he shoots.

Okay. Well if you don't build your offense around him, you'll be playing a guy big minutes who's a pretty large net negative. Outside of interior scoring, there's not a whole lot he does very well. In order to get a positive contribution from him, you have to feed him the ball in the post consistently. Stevens is an excellent coach, he knows it's either you heavily feature him on offense or he doesn't play very much. Stevens may end up playing him off the bench if he comes here, as it's probably the best way to feature him while he plays without changing your entire identity.

Btw, Okafor was constantly given the ball to ISO guys on the low block in Philly. That's how he got the numbers he had. If he plays 27 MPG instead of 30 and gives you 16/6 instead of 18/7, he's obviously still going to be heavily leaned on. There's no question that a player with his elite post skills can be useful. But his flaws outweigh that skill, especially when using his greatest skill requires so much adjustment from every one else. He's gonna be a good player in this league. But he's just not a good fit for the C's, especially if it's gonna cost us more than #3 straight up.

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

-Very poor vertical leap
-Poor rebound instincts

really?  with the exception of the rebounding instincts, these would all be things you've said (or agreed to in other posts) about Sully who you've been vocal in criticizing. 

what's different about Okafor when you've stated a dislike for a current player you claim has these issues?

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
But with us being one of the worst 3 point shooting teams in the whole league and we still run a 3 point chucking system may indicate this is the only style Brad knows how to coach can coach .
Well that's a leap.  Almost every team in today's NBA runs a 3-point "chucking" system.  It is a reality of how today's game is played.  50% more points per basket.  You don't even need analytics to see the advantage.

Okafor a throw-back type of player to when the big man in the center dominated the offense.  It's hard to play a throw-back game when you opponent has a 7-footer who is a 3-point threat.

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas

-Very poor vertical leap
-Poor rebound instincts

really?  with the exception of the rebounding instincts, these would all be things you've said (or agreed to in other posts) about Sully who you've been vocal in criticizing. 

what's different about Okafor when you've stated a dislike for a current player you claim has these issues?

I have never, ever said Sullinger possesses any "unfixable" characteristics such as the ones you cite. When you resort to fabrication, it becomes abundantly clear what you're up to.

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas

-Very poor vertical leap
-Poor rebound instincts

Yeah, some of those (especially the shooting) are easily fixable, and some of the others just speak of a poorly disciplined team.  I'm no Okafor fan, but some of the criticism he gets is totally unwarranted.  In the right situation with a good coach and strong vets some of those issues would disappear.

I don't know that you're the best person to talk about how some people on this board have "agendas", though...

I don't know that you are either.