Author Topic: Rumors: Boston Celtics might trade 3rd overall pick in 2016 NBA draft for Okafor  (Read 41380 times)

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Bill Simmons, the same guy pumped when we took Young at 17 two years ago.

To be honest, I was pumped too. I thought we got a long-term diamond in the rough. Right now that looks like a cubic zirconia.

I was too. Watching the Tournament he looked great, made some big shots, looked like he would be a very solid player.

Looked good in Maine a lot.

But for what ever reason he hasn't brought it to the big time. Who knows why.

Also there was this kid from Arkansas, skinny 6'7" SF from a small school. Ended up being one of the best SF's to play the game. It's a crap shoot when it comes to finding young talent at times.

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
and philly was laughed at for tanking ::)...

I''m still laughing.

They haven't done anything, Simmons isn't a sure thing, they've been drafting all bigs, traded away their one PG that was decent.

Now they are trying to trade two of their bigs, may not get full value for them, and going to roll with a big that has been injured the last couple years and hasn't seen the floor, and an other one from Europe who no one really knows anything about, and could be a huge bust. But they're going to get ride of probably both bigs (during ping pong ball night coach said they were adding a number 1 to Saric and Embiid) who have proved they can play maybe not great (too early to tell) but very well at this level and roll with two guys who have done nothing?

It might work out, but I wont be surprised if it doesn't.

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Sixers willing to trade a 3rd pick prospect in a above average draft for a 3rd pick prospect in a below average one. Sixers win!

Don't want Okafor myself.

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
Am I crazy for wanting to draft Bender instead of acquiring Okafor? I wonder if there was some way to package our other picks and get a guy like Hield with the 8th pick or something.

I certainly think you are.

Not crazy at al. Well, maybe the drafting Bender part, but not on Okafor. This is a dude who you'll have to design your whole offense around to get a positive contribution from, but he's not talented enough to justify doing that.

For every bucket Okafor gets, he'll be taking a bucket away from IT, Crowder, Bradley, etc. I get that people are desperate for an other offensive option, but Okafor is far too flawed on both sides of the ball to justify giving up our best asset for

Trade Rozier, 16 and 31 for Noel and we'd be much better off in the long run, even if we have to give Noel 10$M a year next summer.

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
The Okafor obsession is a poor reflection on this board, IMO.

What's the upside of the player? Al Jefferson? How's that worked for the Wolves / Jazz / Bobcats? I just don't follow the excitement for how he will drag this franchise down.

If nothing else, I'll just keep coming back to this...

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/page/2/sort/RPM/position/9

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

What's the upside of the player? Al Jefferson? How's that worked for the Wolves / Jazz / Bobcats? I just don't follow the excitement for how he will drag this franchise down.

OKAFOR: His biggest strength is also his biggest weakness
With time Okafor can drastically improve his game. With all the info we have bc of the internet I am very excited to see him wear GREEN hopefully, and in our organization I believe he would flourish.

2 most important things Okafor needs to work on, and will get much better with time, are:
1) his jumper: In order to balance and ultimately take the most advantage of his post-game he needs to take WAYYYY more fga from 10-15ft and then 15-19ft. This will only make his post game that more dangerous and open things up for his teammates.

2) Sculpting his body: 280lbs solid is pretty dam impressive for anyone let alone a teen. He needs to get his body in shape and get quicker (laterally as well), more conditioned, and even stronger. We all know if he was wearing GREEN we would want him to defensively get better at: rotating on d, running the floor, defending both the 4 and 5 and be able to defend stretch 4's, block more shots, rebound more, defend the paint.

He will eventually get that "grown man strength"

He was only a rookie and schooled vet's on the block. Did you know that his fg% was largely affected by his shot getting blocked in the paint. It makes sense bc although he has good form and an improving shot, he seldomely took a jumper outside of 8ft. This made defenses pack the paint and dare him to either shoot or take it in the paint....99% of the time be took it in the paint and still scored, even off the dribble.

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

With time Okafor can drastically improve his game. With all the info we have bc of the internet I am very excited to see him wear GREEN hopefully, and in our organization I believe he would flourish.

2 most important things Okafor needs to work on, and will get much better with time, are:
1) his jumper: In order to balance and ultimately take the most advantage of his post-game he needs to take WAYYYY more fga from 10-15ft and then 15-19ft. This will only make his post game that more dangerous and open things up for his teammates.

2) Sculpting his body: 280lbs solid is pretty dam impressive for anyone let alone a teen. He needs to get his body in shape and get quicker (laterally as well), more conditioned, and even stronger. We all know if he was wearing GREEN we would want him to defensively get better at: rotating on d, running the floor, defending both the 4 and 5 and be able to defend stretch 4's, block more shots, rebound more, defend the paint.

He was only a rookie and schooled vet's on the block. Did you know that his fg% was largely affected by his shot getting blocked in the paint. It makes sense bc although he has good form and an improving shot, he seldomely took a jumper outside of 8ft. This made defenses pack the paint and dare him to either shoot or take it in the paint....99% of the time be took it in the paint and still scored, even off the dribble.

Basically -- you want a different guy. A guy who can play on the perimeter. A guy who's nimble -- who has lateral movement. A guy who's competent on defense. Somebody else.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Basically -- you want a different guy. A guy who can play on the perimeter. A guy who's nimble -- who has lateral movement. A guy who's competent on defense. Somebody else.
TP
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232

TP x 10.

I can tell you right now that Okafor will NEVER be able to guard the guys like Crowder that play the 4 now in this league. Just not gonna happen. He'll never be an above average rebounder, because he's not very good at boxing out and he's not athletic enough to sky over people for boards. He's never gonna be able to guard guys on the perimeter without being burned, and he's never going to become an elite passer, a necessary skill for someone who's only way of scoring is around the paint.

That doesn't mean he can't be a good player in this league, he can. Big Al has been a good player in this league for years. But is he the kind of guy you trade some of your best assets for and build your team around? No. Not even close. Not if you wanna win championships at least.

Ask yourself this: Is it worth taking the ball out of IT's hands to have Okafor take on double teams in the post? Is it worth doing that if it costs you the 3rd pick in the draft?

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

TP
I get what your saying. But to judge a rookie negatively bc of his sole year in the league, drafted after 1 year at Duke, is not fair.
IMO I saw many positive things from Okafor and believe he is tremendously undervalued.

And I don't want a differant guy but rookies do have a storied history of getting stronger and improving their bodies.

Also as far as jumpshots go. Oak has the ability to knock them down and has a 70%ft clip and that will most likely get better. He does not need to be a perimeter player and I never said that, but he does have to take more fga from 10-15ft and 15-19ft....which he can hit.

And the dude is actually very nimble....have you ever watched him play?

We are talking about him possibly being a Celtic and IMO he would flourish in our system and with our organization. The guy is 280lbs give him a minute to work on his body so he can improve. Building muscle is the really hard thing and he has it.

I get completely what your saying. Just people need to know that he has a lot of potential on both ends if the Celtic's trade for him.

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Like Dragan Bender!  ;D

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
This thread reminds me of witch hunts. If we all keep talking about this witchery it will cause people to start burning witches. Witchery is not real. Let's not burn witches and let's not bring Okafor to Boston.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I would rip out my own testicles and swallow them hole, rather then trade #3 for Okafor.

he was really impressive on the offensive end, he has a huge frame and IMHO that would be a good deal BUT we could milk the sixers for a little bit more,

He wasn't really impressive on the offensive end.  He was really impressive in the post, but there is more to offense then just post play - and his overall offensive play was poor by just about any measurable metric.

He does have a huge frame though, I'll give him that. 

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
I would rip out my own testicles and swallow them hole, rather then trade #3 for Okafor.

he was really impressive on the offensive end, he has a huge frame and IMHO that would be a good deal BUT we could milk the sixers for a little bit more,

He wasn't really impressive on the offensive end.  He was really impressive in the post, but there is more to offense then just post play - and his overall offensive play was poor by just about any measurable metric.

He does have a huge frame though, I'll give him that.

OUCH! Then forget about it. let's just keep the pick lol!
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

LOL

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14