Author Topic: Rumors: Boston Celtics might trade 3rd overall pick in 2016 NBA draft for Okafor  (Read 41346 times)

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
http://www.sportsrageous.com/nba/nba-rumors-boston-celtics-trading-third-overall-pick-2016-nba-draft-jahlil-okafor/24488/

Obviously this is a rumor/idea that's been debated to death. The more I think about it though the more it makes sense.

Reportedly:

Philly loves Dunn.
Boston had inquired about Okafor in the past.

Obviously:

Philly has too much redundancy with Noel, embiid, and Okafor. They have three center prospects. Simmons and Saric are forecasted as PF. So much invested in a front court in a league being dominated by perimeter play.

Boston we all know doesn't really need to draft another PG or guard in general. But the third best prospect might be a guard in this draft.

Philly wants and needs a guard. If Okafor was in this draft he's a top three prospect. Ainge would draft him if he didn't go 1 or 2.

Makes too much sense for both sides not to get something figured out once the lakers make their pick and if neither Ingram or Simmons is still on the board.

The Celtics and Sixers were reportedly talking an Okafor swap at the trade deadline, and Danny Ainge would likely jump back into trade talks with Philly for the young big man this summer. Ford said if Boston is willing to trade the third overall pick in the upcoming draft for Okafor, “[the trade] would be done tomorrow.” He’s just not convinced Ainge would give up the pick for Okafor at this point in time.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2016/05/27/very-likely-sixers-trade-okafor-or-noel-will-celtics-come-knocking/
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 01:51:38 PM by Roy H. »

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
he was really impressive on the offensive end, he has a huge frame and IMHO that would be a good deal BUT we could milk the sixers for a little bit more,
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

Online Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I'm hopeful that because this is being reported, it won't happen. It seems like most of the big deals the Celtics do come out of nowhere.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Am I crazy for wanting to draft Bender instead of acquiring Okafor? I wonder if there was some way to package our other picks and get a guy like Hield with the 8th pick or something.
- LilRip

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
If we go by Ford's report, it sounds like the #3 alone is plenty for the Sixers to give us Okafor. It actually sounds like Ainge is the one not ready to move #3 for Okafor straight up. So, those deals some people on here were proposing that included Bradley or Smart or other additional players along with #3 for Okafor are an overpay. Ainge may be the one asking for other assets in addition to Okafor for the #3 pick.

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Am I crazy for wanting to draft Bender instead of acquiring Okafor? I wonder if there was some way to package our other picks and get a guy like Hield with the 8th pick or something.

I certainly think you are.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

Online Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Not crazy.

Okafor has a game suited for the past. Bender has a game suited for the future. The problem with Bender is, he's young and untested so it's really difficult to know if his skill set will ever turn into what scouts project him to be. But if it does, I'd much rather have Bender.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
That's sportsrageous!
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
If we go by Ford's report, it sounds like the #3 alone is plenty for the Sixers to give us Okafor. It actually sounds like Ainge is the one not ready to move #3 for Okafor straight up. So, those deals some people on here were proposing that included Bradley or Smart or other additional players along with #3 for Okafor are an overpay. Ainge may be the one asking for other assets in addition to Okafor for the #3 pick.

The draft hype and buzz for other guys will likely only get more positive. Dunn and Bender already seem like evidence to this. Plus it sounds like the talk is getting louder of the lakers not sold on taking Ingram/Simmons at 2.

Ainge has always been pretty patient. I can see him not doing a deal till he's on the clock on draft night. I think the value of #3 overall is trending upward and will continue to do so as teams see guys work out. I think some of these guys are going to narrow the gap between the top 2 and everyone else.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
3rd pick for okafor AND saric or we keep the pick.

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Phew!!  I was worried there for a second. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

Offline CelticsJG

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11
I hope we do get the kid. Really liked him in college

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Nowadays, reporters have an easy job.
They just have to check reddit and celticsblog to make an article based on what the fans discuss and suggest.
Pathetic....

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
how many times do we play Philly every year? Do we have to get by Philly to get #18? Don't turn Pilly into a behemoth that Celtics will regret. Ainge has to think about this one very carefully.

We have to contend with Philly and beat them if we are to get #18 and more, the competition starts with this draft.

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Oh wait, maybe I can use this article to say "we know" or we have "proof" that Ainge don't trade the #3 straight up unless he gets more than Okafor in return.
Haha, sorry, related to the topic about Philly's trades.  8)