Author Topic: Rumors: Boston Celtics might trade 3rd overall pick in 2016 NBA draft for Okafor  (Read 41079 times)

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
Interesting idea.  Okafor could be a legit star if he puts in the effort to improve on defense.  I like him more than anybody likely to be available at 3, though Ingram vs Okafor is a tougher decision if the Lakers screw up.

I'd do it.

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
There is absolutely nothing new or substantive to this 'sportsrageous' article.

It reads like yet another article repeating rumors passed on by another article pulled from another blog pulled from a tweet as sourced from ...

Than click the link containing fords quote

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Ahh, sportsrageous. Why wait for actual professionals like Woj to tell me when I can have them do it.

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Ahh, sportsrageous. Why wait for actual professionals like Woj to tell me when I can have them do it.
I had not seen that Ford quote and that was rather telling. Although I cant say Im a big Ford guy.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Am I crazy for wanting to draft Bender instead of acquiring Okafor? I wonder if there was some way to package our other picks and get a guy like Hield with the 8th pick or something.

Yea, you are f'ing crazy

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
and philly was laughed at for tanking ::)...

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
FWIW, Bill Simmons said more or less the same thing:

“I think the guy they’re going to trade for is Okafor,” Simmons told 98.5 The Sports Hub’s “Toucher & Rich” on Wednesay. “That almost happened in February. And if you think about it, it makes a ton of sense for Philly. … They basically spent all these high lottery picks on big guys — Nerlens Noel, (Joel) Embiid … and then last year Okafor. And meanwhile the league’s gone small, and you need perimeter guys to win in the NBA.

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2016/05/bill-simmons-jahlil-okafor-would-be-best-case-scenario-for-celtics/
so, this actually makes the point that the C's shouldn't make that deal since Okafor isn't a perimeter guy which is what's needed to win in the NBA.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Bill Simmons, the same guy pumped when we took Young at 17 two years ago.

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
FWIW, Bill Simmons said more or less the same thing:

“I think the guy they’re going to trade for is Okafor,” Simmons told 98.5 The Sports Hub’s “Toucher & Rich” on Wednesay. “That almost happened in February. And if you think about it, it makes a ton of sense for Philly. … They basically spent all these high lottery picks on big guys — Nerlens Noel, (Joel) Embiid … and then last year Okafor. And meanwhile the league’s gone small, and you need perimeter guys to win in the NBA.

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2016/05/bill-simmons-jahlil-okafor-would-be-best-case-scenario-for-celtics/

It makes way too much sense.  It's a perfect value for Okafor, and I think the Celtics should include another draft pick (early 2nd) to sweeten the deal. 

If we get Okafor without giving up anything more, that is a major victory for us and we are near completion as a roster.

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER

Brad Stevens fist pumped and then started dabbing. Ainge Tebowed and then danced a jig.
Everyone thought James Young was a great pick.  Bill Simmons is on Celticsblog btw.
So be careful!
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
If we go by Ford's report, it sounds like the #3 alone is plenty for the Sixers to give us Okafor. It actually sounds like Ainge is the one not ready to move #3 for Okafor straight up. So, those deals some people on here were proposing that included Bradley or Smart or other additional players along with #3 for Okafor are an overpay. Ainge may be the one asking for other assets in addition to Okafor for the #3 pick.
3rd pick for okafor AND saric or we keep the pick.

Imagine how psyched Saric would be if he found out he was playing for the Cs instead of Philly. We have a need at the PF spot so it's not like he would be stuck behind four other guys like Rozier.

I have always been a proponent of the #3 alone being enough for Okafor, but for Saric we would likely need to include something else. Does #16 get it done.

Also, if Ingram did fall to us, would we still be able to land Okafor with say the 2018 BKN pick and another pick? Draft night should be interesting, to say the least.

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes

Brad Stevens fist pumped and then started dabbing. Ainge Tebowed and then danced a jig.
Everyone thought James Young was a great pick.  Bill Simmons is on Celticsblog btw.
So be careful!
hi Bill! Wherever you are

I hope you're right

P.S. You rock, Mr. Simmons
I trust Danny Ainge

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
There is absolutely nothing new or substantive to this 'sportsrageous' article.

It reads like yet another article repeating rumors passed on by another article pulled from another blog pulled from a tweet as sourced from ...

Than click the link containing fords quote

Following the links:

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2016/05/27/very-likely-sixers-trade-okafor-or-noel-will-celtics-come-knocking/

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2016/02/20/robb-jahlil-okafor-celtics-trade-target/

leads everything right back to :

a) Danny's cryptic comments on 98.5 The Sports Hub that he had an interesting deal that no one was talking about that fell through (Everyone forgets that he probably had lots of deals that everyone WAS talking about that _also_ fell through)

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2016/02/20/danny-ainge-boston-celtics-trade-deadline-adam-kaufman/

and
b) Bullpett's "reveal" that the target might have been Okafor.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics/2016/02/danny_ainge_makes_team_better_with_waiting

Except, here is Bullpett's exact quote on the topic:

"While a league source has indicated the late target Ainge has referred to in radio interviews was Philadelphia's Jahlil Okafor, Ainge has turned silent on the matter."

That's it.  There is nothing new here.  That's STILL ALL WE HAVE.   That's not a factual, official confirmation of anything.  That's an anonymous source.

And here's the thing:  I would not be surprised if, indeed, Danny DID have talks with Philly and that they DID involve these very parameters (BKN Pick for Okafor, adding/subtracting various package goodies on either side).  And it fell through.   But I also would not be surprised if Danny had lots of OTHER talks with OTHER teams about OTHER players that also fell through.

We all get hung up on this particular deal because (a) Danny casually mentioned a deal and (b) an anonymous source claimed it was Okafor.

Anybody want to bet large $$ that Danny is playing his cards plain for all to see?  That his moves are this transparent?

Anyone?

(Soft sliding sound of chips being pulled back off the table.)

What is the secret to most sleight-of-hand?   Control where the mark is looking.

Of course, sometimes the trick is in plain sight.   I just wouldn't bet on it.

MAYBE a deal for Okafor will happen.  Maybe not.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

To be honest, I was pumped too. I thought we got a long-term diamond in the rough. Right now that looks like a cubic zirconia.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
This article came up on my google news, and I was extremely relieved when I read it. Then I was furious that they successfully clickbaited me. I solemnly swear that I will never click on a "sportsrageous" link ever again.