Author Topic: Jahlil Okafor and Amir Johnson COMBO ?  (Read 3488 times)

Jahlil Okafor and Amir Johnson COMBO ?
« on: May 30, 2016, 02:07:49 PM »

Offline PaulP34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
Do you guys think the presence of Jahlil Okafor in the paint would raise the level of Amir Johnsons game ?

If they are on the floor at the same time I think they would be a good combo 👍

Avery Bradley
Isaiah Thomas
Jae Crowder
Jahlil Okafor
Amir Johnson

This could be a pretty interesting group. With another top 10 pick next year to keep building the roster

Re: Jahlil Okafor and Amir Johnson COMBO ?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 02:11:42 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
I really don't think Okafor, at this stage, can elevate anyone's game.
- LilRip

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 02:21:38 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Indeed I do. I think Amir would be a good influence on Okafor's game on both ends of the floor, playing the 4 and providing rebounding muscle.

One of many reasons why I am totally behind a move to acquire Okafor.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 02:37:45 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I really don't think Okafor, at this stage, can elevate anyone's game.
TP. Darn straight.

Gotta reverse that question. Can Amir Johnson raise the level of J.Okafor's game?

That is the question. And the answer is no. Okafor is so far behind the curve defensively that it will take more than Amir to get him on track.

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 02:46:02 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
If Danny keeps Amir and gets Okafor for the 3rd pick, that combo sounds good to me.  Adds a reliable scoring threat at the 4 (or 5).   This changes the dynamics of the starting five.  With the defensive culture of CBS, AB, Amor, JC and Smart, i think Okafor's defense will improve.  Would love to see Crowder kick it up a notch offensively (if he can).

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 03:19:17 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Okafor feels more like the kind of player who will get his points and make everyone around him worse, especially as they try to cover for his defensive lapses.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 03:25:33 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Well Jahlil is what he is right now, and he had a year of a better Amir Johnson on his team (Noel) and we all saw how that worked out. So no, I don't think that pairing will work out well. Amir wasn't reliable enough to spread the floor, and Jahlil will only compound the issue.
#JKJB

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 03:32:08 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Do you guys think the presence of Jahlil Okafor in the paint would raise the level of Amir Johnsons game ?

If they are on the floor at the same time I think they would be a good combo 👍

Avery Bradley
Isaiah Thomas
Jae Crowder
Jahlil Okafor
Amir Johnson

This could be a pretty interesting group. With another top 10 pick next year to keep building the roster
This is my dream second unit.

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 04:19:37 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Well Jahlil is what he is right now, and he had a year of a better Amir Johnson on his team (Noel) and we all saw how that worked out. So no, I don't think that pairing will work out well. Amir wasn't reliable enough to spread the floor, and Jahlil will only compound the issue.
Well-stated argument. 
 My thought is that Amir brings experience and maturity to the pairing,  and C's defensive culture makes a difference as well.  In addition Okafor is only 53 games (most of them as a 19 year old) into.his NBA career.  Why would we assume he won't get bigger, stronger  and more  effective defensively with physical and mental maturity over the next couple of years?

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2016, 04:22:49 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Eh. In Toronto there were some issues when Amir was paired with Valunciunas. He did much better when Valunciunas was not on the floor. That leads me to believe Okafor-Amir would be similarly disastrous, if not more disastrous.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2016, 04:29:20 PM »

• Jim Loscutoff
Well-stated argument. 
 My thought is that Amir brings experience and maturity to the pairing,  and C's defensive culture makes a difference as well.  In addition Okafor is only 53 games (most of them as a 19 year old) into.his NBA career.  Why would we assume he won't get bigger, stronger  and more  effective defensively with physical and mental maturity over the next couple of years?

Oh, to be honest I am on the fence about where Okafor is going to go in this league (effectiveness wise,) as I wasn't writing him off, but the notion of a Jahlil and Amir combo. I think for Jahlil to be put in the best situation, he needs a weak side shot blocker who can spread the floor. Amir a few years ago would have been decent, but ideally he needs a much better shooter to pair with him.

If we get that weak side shot blocker who could switch and do all of the things okafor can't defensively, I have no doubt Okafor could turn into at least a competent defender. Will he make the all NBA defense? No of course not. But he is freaking huge, and weighs alot (in the good non jared sullinger way) so he would be able to hold his own as a post presence ideally.

In a way, the best player you could get to pair with Okafor going forward to grow together, might be Dragan Bender lol.
#JKJB

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2016, 04:35:52 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Well-stated argument. 

Oh, to be honest I am on the fence about where Okafor is going to go in this league (effectiveness wise,) as I wasn't writing him off, but the notion of a Jahlil and Amir combo. I think for Jahlil to be put in the best situation, he needs a weak side shot blocker who can spread the floor. Amir a few years ago would have been decent, but ideally he needs a much better shooter to pair with him.

If we get that weak side shot blocker who could switch and do all of the things okafor can't defensively, I have no doubt Okafor could turn into at least a competent defender. Will he make the all NBA defense? No of course not. But he is freaking huge, and weighs alot (in the good non jared sullinger way) so he would be able to hold his own as a post presence ideally.

In a way, the best player you could get to pair with Okafor going forward to grow together, might be Dragan Bender lol.
bender would fit well, but theyd be really bad at rebounding.

When you talk about Okafor he is a player with so many weaknesses its hard to fit him anywhere unless you build your whole team around him. Greg Monroe has the same issues, but Monroe is a very good rebounder.

Okafor is a bad rebounder, he cant block shots or defend the perimeter, he also has no offense outside of the paint, and based on what ive heard, he has yet to bring his impressive passing ability he showed off at Duke, into the NBA. Thats a lot of flaws. In order to make it work you need to build specifically for him (Serge Ibaka)? I know hes really good as a post scorer but he needs to be dominant to be worth acquiring. Im still not sure if he is.

Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2016, 04:39:56 PM »

• Jim Loscutoff
Well-stated argument. 

bender would fit well, but theyd be really bad at rebounding.

When you talk about Okafor he is a player with so many weaknesses its hard to fit him anywhere unless you build your whole team around him. Greg Monroe has the same issues, but Monroe is a very good rebounder.

Okafor is a bad rebounder, he cant block shots or defend the perimeter, he also has no offense outside of the paint, and based on what ive heard, he has yet to bring his impressive passing ability he showed off at Duke, into the NBA. Thats a lot of flaws. In order to make it work you need to build specifically for him (Serge Ibaka)? I know hes really good as a post scorer but he needs to be dominant to be worth acquiring. Im still not sure if he is.

Very fair points, and thats why I am still on the fence about him. I wonder if part of the rebounding problems were due to the systemic problems that Philly has had up until this point. He split alot of his time with Noel, who could be siphoning off some of his boards (and Noels' defender can get right up to the rim due to the fact that Noel doesn't draw them away. These factors compact his rebounding problem.

Also the passing, it could be that he just hasn't had any teammate to pass to.

Again, I'm playing devils advocate for Jahlil here. Im not so sure about him myself.
#JKJB

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2016, 04:57:44 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I don't think a weak-side shot-blocker is necessary next to J.Okafor at PF. I don't think Okafor needs that. I do think he needs a plus defender at PF next to him but necessarily a shot-blocker. Quickness is very important because Okafor is slow-footed. The PF needs to be mobile.

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2016, 05:01:14 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Well-stated argument. 

Okafor should get a bit better defensively in future years but I think he'll always be sub-par. Reminds me too much of Al Jefferson on defense. The lack of lateral quickness. The lack of mobility away from the basket. I am not optimistic.

The offensive end is where Okafor should see most of his growth. He is a good passer who struggle with the transition from NCAA to NBA. That will improve in a big way over the next few years. His jump-shot shows talent. I think he'll be a good jump-shooter out to (at least) 15 feet in a few years. He should become a lot more efficient in his scoring as he figures out the league. Overall, J.Okafor should be one of the top offensive big men in the league.