Author Topic: Westbrook is a nightmare  (Read 8796 times)

Re: Westbrook is a nightmare
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2016, 01:28:32 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I see what the OP is saying. But I remember that guys oftentimes keep maturing into their 30s. Westbrook right now is 27. Keep in mind that Jordan didn't win his fist championship until age 30 (if I remember correctly... someone correct me if I'm wrong). Until then he was seen as an explosive scorer but not necessarily a great team player, with a Chicago team that could never get past the Pistons.

Last night the Thunder started the game playing team ball on both offense and defense, but then got punched in the mouth and fell back into bad habits. Barkley pointed this out immediately after the game, and I think Donovan intimated it in his postgame press conference. Maybe with a little more age and maturity guys like Westbrook have the focus and calmness to break that tendency, and refocus the team. That's not easy, but the point is that even at age 27 you still might not be looking at a finished product.

That's a fair point. Pierce wasn't a finished product , and had many of the same issues trusting teammates, until at least a year after Doc took over. Him and Doc had some rough patches early on until Pierce matured and began trusting his coach.

« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2016, 03:58:14 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Comparing to Westbrook to Walker? Walker was a good player that thought he was great. Westbrook is a great player than knows he's great. That's the different between those two. As stubborn as he can be he more than makes up for it being a elite top 5 player in the league.

Also, he'll be a Laker in 2 years IMO.

God I hope not, that would make me sick. He's one of my favorite players.

I would love to see him guarantee the Lakers won't win a championship for the next 10 years.

You must hate superstars. Much easier to get free agents with elite talent already in place.

Do you call a guy time and time again you do not want on the court in the last two minutes of the game a superstar?

Take a deep breath.

The Thunder just took the most dominant team in NBA history - starring the back to back league MVP, shooting at an unprecedented level  - to 7 games and nearly beat them.

Westbrook is a top 10 player in the NBA.   

« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2016, 05:56:52 PM »

Offline straightouttabahstun

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
  • That's turrible
Russell needs to have a couple of losing seasons. Not like what he had a year ago. I mean a REALLY BAD season like Pierce, with many of the supporting cast being younger than he is. Only then will he appreciate the fact that sharing the ball to teammates that are just as talented as he is will win a championship. Just like Paul Pierce. The man had the same problem and didn't win a ring until 30, but we all saw how much he respected the fact that he had to share and get his teammates involved in order to win. Westbrook, IMO, doesn't appreciate that he has one of the best scorers in the league on his team.

« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2016, 11:53:25 AM »

Offline Phil125

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 57
Westbrook, IMO, doesn't appreciate that he has one of the best scorers in the league on his team.

That is another part of the problem with Westbrook and I think its part of the problem with Durant.  People say Durant disappears in the 4th quarter.  I think that is because the guy with the ball forgets he is there.

There is never a game where Westbrook should have more shots than Durant.

« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2016, 12:22:01 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
games 3 and 4 he was unbelievable.

Yes he has the talent to win multiple titles in this league.  If only he had the discipline.
Hero Ball as Barkley called it. Is the Problem. They both look to the other and no one does it and when they look up they have lost the game.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2016, 12:32:49 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I don't think Hero ball is the issue, the lack of shooting around them is pretty glaring.

I wonder how many crazy plays Westbrook would do late in games if he had shooters he trusted to make shots off his penetration. I'm sure there would still be plenty but after you see a guy miss a bunch its harder to make the pass.