Author Topic: Westbrook is a nightmare  (Read 8795 times)

Re: Westbrook is a nightmare
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2016, 09:31:13 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
Comparing to Westbrook to Walker? Walker was a good player that thought he was great. Westbrook is a great player than knows he's great. That's the different between those two. As stubborn as he can be he more than makes up for it being a elite top 5 player in the league.

Also, he'll be a Laker in 2 years IMO.

God I hope not, that would make me sick. He's one of my favorite players.

I would love to see him guarantee the Lakers won't win a championship for the next 10 years.

You must hate superstars. Much easier to get free agents with elite talent already in place.

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2016, 09:52:18 PM »

Offline Phil125

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 57
Comparing to Westbrook to Walker? Walker was a good player that thought he was great. Westbrook is a great player than knows he's great. That's the different between those two. As stubborn as he can be he more than makes up for it being a elite top 5 player in the league.

I would love to see him guarantee the Lakers won't win a championship for the next 10 years.

You must hate superstars. Much easier to get free agents with elite talent already in place.

Do you call a guy time and time again you do not want on the court in the last two minutes of the game a superstar?

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2016, 10:04:02 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • GOT IT!!!

Do you call a guy time and time again you do not want on the court in the last two minutes of the game a superstar?

Yes because he is a superstar. Most athletic player in the entire league.

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2016, 11:39:12 PM »

Offline Phil125

• Jrue Holiday

Yes he is and he also had at least 6 awful plays in that game 7.  Two of which led directly to GS runs.

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2016, 11:43:11 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • GOT IT!!!

Yes he is and he also had at least 6 awful plays in that game 7.  Two of which led directly to GS runs.

Never said he was a perfect player.

« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2016, 12:08:43 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Westbrook is a great player, but he doesn't have the x-factor of HOFs that won rings. Driving and driving withoug setting plays and getting his teams involve in crunch time. That won't win you any 'ships

« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2016, 01:29:05 AM »

Offline safecracker

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 14
  • JJ8
Exactly. You can be crazy skilled and posess superhuman athleticism. But the true greats raise their game when it matters the most, in the clutch moments of pivotal games.
Westbrook and Durant do the exact opposite. Their clutch performances are plagued with bad decisions, forced shots and turnovers. Some call it 'selfishness'. But I think it's more an inability to deal with the pressure.

« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2016, 08:23:56 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Yeah, Westbrook and Durant aren't true superstars.  The only guys left who fit that category are Lebron James and Steph Curry.  Within the next couple of weeks, the list will be down to one.

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2016, 08:50:41 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
What are you guys talking about? OKC over achieved, they were not suppose to beat San Antonio never mind take GSW to a game 7!!! :o

« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2016, 09:11:00 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Westbrook is a nightmare for opponents.

We would be lucky to have a guy who is as good as Westbrook is eighty percent of the time even if the other twenty percent borders on team sabotage.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2016, 11:30:02 AM »

Offline Phil125

• Jrue Holiday

We would be lucky to have a guy who is as good as Westbrook is eighty percent of the time even if the other twenty percent borders on team sabotage.

I agree its that 20% that kills me.  If he were anybody but a player of his talent he wouldn't be in the NBA right now. 

If a guy came off the bench and pulled some of the moronic plays that he does he would be looking for a job.

« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2016, 11:35:40 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

I agree its that 20% that kills me.  If he were anybody but a player of his talent he wouldn't be in the NBA right now. 

If a guy came off the bench and pulled some of the moronic plays that he does he would be looking for a job.

I also agree with Pho's comment.

It is only reasonable to demand more from a player who was gifted with more natural talents. He is a great athlete but he is also misusing his skills.

« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2016, 11:53:49 AM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
No pressure on the opponents on shots he makes. That is a puzzle he has to answer.

KD and the rest of the Thunder would be better paired with a PG like Rose.

« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2016, 12:00:58 PM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
I see what the OP is saying. But I remember that guys oftentimes keep maturing into their 30s. Westbrook right now is 27. Keep in mind that Jordan didn't win his fist championship until age 30 (if I remember correctly... someone correct me if I'm wrong). Until then he was seen as an explosive scorer but not necessarily a great team player, with a Chicago team that could never get past the Pistons.

Last night the Thunder started the game playing team ball on both offense and defense, but then got punched in the mouth and fell back into bad habits. Barkley pointed this out immediately after the game, and I think Donovan intimated it in his postgame press conference. Maybe with a little more age and maturity guys like Westbrook have the focus and calmness to break that tendency, and refocus the team. That's not easy, but the point is that even at age 27 you still might not be looking at a finished product.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2016, 12:21:57 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
They need to be on their own team. I just don't see them winning together.