Author Topic: Dragan: Marc Stein "he's the realest of deals"  (Read 3862 times)

Dragan: Marc Stein "he's the realest of deals"
« on: May 30, 2016, 10:25:59 AM »

Offline RedClaw33

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 14
Just came across this article posted ESPN all the way back in November.  In the article Marc Stein has the opportunity to watch Dragan Bender play at the United Center in Chicago and is blown away by the kids performance. 

The vast majority of the article is about his experiences that day...I attached the section about Bender below.

Also interesting to note that at the time of the article Ben Simmons and Skal Labissiere (spelling) are the front runners for the number one pick.  I also forget that Bender is the youngest player in the draft and just tuned 18.  He essential could have been a high school senior this entire season (Ingram is the next youngest player...Simmons is a full year and a half older)

From the article:

The 17-year-old phenom playing the first game of his life on a significant stage could not have looked more like he belonged with all the grown men on the hallowed United Center floor.

I got to watch Bender from very close range.

And I can assure you that he's the realest of deals. ‎The slender 7-footer doesn't turn 18 until November, but he can already do a little bit of everything. Bender runs the floor. He handles the ball. He scores inside and outside. He knows how to pass. He's not afraid to bang even though he clearly needs to add bulk and strength. And, most of all, he's already an impact player defensively who, despite his tender age and slight frame, can play the 3, 4 and 5.

In both his Chicago appearance and Sunday's rematch with Milano at Madison Square Garden, after spending last season in Israel's second division with Maccabi's B team, Bender was a shot-blocking (and shot-changing) force at the rim. Even better: In the most high-profile game of his career to that point, Bender showed us his healthy appetite for playing small forward in United Center crunch time opposite one of Europe's better swingmen in Alessandro Gentile.

There's a decent chance Gentile, whose NBA rights are held by Houston, will be in the league next season, because the Rockets hope to bring him over for the 2016-17 campaign. Yet in this instance, Bender's length and foot speed completely snuffed Gentile out of the game.

Gentile backed off, unsure how to counter Bender's length. The kid has a L-O-N-G way to go, with his physical development as well as a long-range game he's still smoothing out, but we have to ask: How many 7-footers from Europe have sent a gaggle of NBA scouts home talking about his perimeter D?

The true draft experts will tell you that the No. 1 overall pick in the 2016 draft already belongs to Ben Simmons or Skal Labissiere, but I'd stay tuned. Don't be surprised if the forecasts change over the next few months, judging by the manner in which Bender stepped onto the same slab of hardwood where His Airness once roamed, followed by the so-called Mecca of Basketball at MSG, and looked so ridiculously comfortable.

Which left at least one of us in the audience wowed and envious.

Link:
http://espn.go.com/blog/marc-stein/post/_/id/3966/dragan-tales-scary-prospect-shaky-play-by-play
2016 Draft Board #3 Pick

Bender>Brown>Dunn>Murray>Hield

Re: Dragan: Marc Stein "he's the realest of deals"
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 01:03:12 PM »

Offline PaulP34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
My question is, how many teams are out there who would love to acquire Bender. I'm surprised that Skal was ranked so high back then and what happened ?

If Bender is the absolute BPA at #3 we gotta take him.

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 01:18:22 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
for what it's worth, I see DraftExpress has us picking Jaylen Brown in their mock

here is the link: http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2016/

and here is a screen shot for future reference:

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 01:28:50 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
for what it's worth, I see DraftExpress has us picking Jaylen Brown in their mock

Yeah, they moved Brown up to #3, our slot just very recently (last week, I think?), shifting Bender down to #4 in their Mock Draft.

They haven't offered any comment as to the reasoning for that adjustment.

Edit: Are they possibly reacting to Brown's comment that Stevens spoke positively to him at his combine interview?  That seems like the only 'new' bit of information out there.

Oddly, though, in their 'Top 100 Prospect' rankings, which they updated as recently as the same day (5/27) they last updated their Mock Draft, they have Brown down at #5:

1. Brandon Ingram
2. Ben Simmons
3. Dragon Bender
4. Kris Dunn
5. Jaylen Brown
6. Jamal Murray

http://www.draftexpress.com/rankings/Top-100-Prospects/

This may suggest that they anticipate Danny taking Brown, despite their opinion that there are two better players on the board.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 01:32:29 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
My question is, how many teams are out there who would love to acquire Bender. I'm surprised that Skal was ranked so high back then and what happened ?

If Bender is the absolute BPA at #3 we gotta take him.

Skal had a pretty bad freshman year that really hurt his stock. His lack of readiness outweighed his potential.

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 01:33:29 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Nice read but at this point, worth about as much as the projection of Skal as a possible #1.

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 01:40:14 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Why keep posting articles of him at 16,17

What is going on today???  This is more relevant

And yes brown is one of the choices at 3 with what CBS has stated and Danny's like for explosive athletes like brown

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 01:50:39 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Bender is getting a lot of build these last few weeks. Hopefully that continues as he comes for workouts.

The best thing about his rise is that the #3 pick increases in value. Suddenly teams think that they can get a very special player there. Maybe the Lakers take him at #2 and we have Ingram as a trade chip. Whether you like Bender or not his rise is important for the Boston Celtics

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 02:03:26 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
The more I read about him, the more I like this kid. Part of me hopes we keep the #3 and package the other picks for a shooter (like Mclemore? I don't know) or a wing.
- LilRip

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2016, 03:36:08 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
If he truly has the highest upside at the #3 spot, I want to Celtics to draft him. I don't want them playing it safe with the highest pick they've had in 20 years. Swing for the fences and use the rest of the picks to try and move up and grab a safe, blue-chipper around the 9-10 pick.

If he doesn't pan out, that sucks. But if he does, having a 3-point shooting, 7-footer whose best attribute is his defensive versatility sounds like exactly what I want.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2016, 04:10:47 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I would pick Brown. I think he has the highest upside.

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2016, 04:12:36 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
You know what? Let's just go for it. Swing for the fences. Earlier I would have said "go for the safe pick in Murray". But as I think about it, oh well. Let's just take Bender. In fact, let's take just about anyone except Jaylen Brown. (who, btw, Danny WILL pick, because thats Danny's kind of guy smh)
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2016, 05:09:47 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
The last thing I want Danny to do is trade the pick.

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2016, 05:37:36 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
No one should be scouted on the basis of one good game.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3102528/dante-exum

He was hidden, drafted because of one monster game, how did that work out?

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2016, 05:39:25 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
No one should be scouted on the basis of one good game.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3102528/dante-exum

He was hidden, drafted because of one monster game, how did that work out?

Exum played really well in the summer league last year before he got injured. He still has the chance to be a very good player ......