Author Topic: The Other Gasol  (Read 3597 times)

Re: The Other Gasol
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2016, 02:31:47 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Marc Gasol is an awesome player. Marc Gasol is 7 feet tall, quite heavy, and just broke his foot.

Check the recovery rate on that injury.

No interest whatsoever in Marc Gasol. None.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2016, 02:36:51 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
I dont think the Grizz do it unless its the 3, 23, and 31.

If we could get a workable deal with rotation level players  then I think we have to do it. Maybe something like Turner, Hunter and Olynyk with #31? Wouldnt it be fun to sign Pau to play alongside his brother for a couple years?
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2016, 02:39:04 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
I've been thinking for a while that Marc Gasol would somehow end up on the Celtics. I just want to do it without giving up the No. 3 pick.

What about Brooklyn's 2017 or 2018?

I agree that the third pick has a potential beyond Marc Gasol at age 31 - Marc Gasol at age 28 would be a no-brainer, imho, alas. You can't mortgage your future for him.

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2016, 02:45:30 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I would give up 16, 23 and return the future Grizz pick for Marc. Could Grizz turn three first down?

That's the 85 million dollar question. If so, the Celtics could keep their young core. I would argue that there's a big advantage for Boston if they can add stars to what they've already got, rather than trading key guys like Crowder - even if the return is a better player.
Big centers with foot problems in their 30's sounds like a terrible idea. But Gasol is a hell of a talent and a smart player. If the Grizzlies decide to rebuild and Gasol could be gotten for a package like that (I'd throw in some 2nds also) then I think the Celtics would have to take a chance on his health.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2016, 02:48:04 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
Marc Gasol is an awesome player. Marc Gasol is 7 feet tall, quite heavy, and just broke his foot.

Yes, that's the critical point. How his rehab is going is the big issue for him going forward.

So, if the Celtics' medical staff approved, would you be on board?

He's 7'1" and 255.  So I wouldn't really call him quite heavy - still, a foot injury in a man that size is clearly a concern.

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2016, 03:11:32 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
I'm sold on bringing him in. He'd launch us to parity with the Cavs imo. I think they'd ask for the #3 this year which would be steep, I would send the 2018 Nets pick their way though.

Gasol for Nets 18, #16, Amir, Young

I think you would need to give up a decent lottery pick to get . It would 100% be worth it

If I'm Chris Wallace I don't take that deal, but I don't hang up, either. 

He needs building blocks; Amir makes your team better but he's no star - more importantly, he's only got a year left on his contract (in a trade, the C's would pick up his option), so he's gone when his contract ends. Why would he stay?  And he has little upside.

Memphis needs high-upside guys on cheap contracts, and for sure good draft picks.

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2016, 03:16:09 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum

Check the recovery rate on that injury.

No interest whatsoever in Marc Gasol. None.

About the injury: point taken, but having said that it was non-displaced, which has better recovery outcomes.

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2016, 03:21:26 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
I dont think the Grizz do it unless its the 3, 23, and 31.

If we could get a workable deal with rotation level players  then I think we have to do it. Maybe something like Turner, Hunter and Olynyk with #31? Wouldnt it be fun to sign Pau to play alongside his brother for a couple years?

About Pau - that occurred to me, too. I guess you'd have a spacing issue, though...

Genetics?  Pau is having some outstanding seasons in his late 30's - could Marc do the same?

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2016, 03:25:49 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I'm sold on bringing him in. He'd launch us to parity with the Cavs imo. I think they'd ask for the #3 this year which would be steep, I would send the 2018 Nets pick their way though.

I think you would need to give up a decent lottery pick to get . It would 100% be worth it

He needs building blocks; Amir makes your team better but he's no star - more importantly, he's only got a year left on his contract (in a trade, the C's would pick up his option), so he's gone when his contract ends. Why would he stay?  And he has little upside.

Memphis needs high-upside guys on cheap contracts, and for sure good draft picks.

I believe Amir is on a non guaranteed deal not a team option so Memphis could waive him for the cap space.

You may have to put Rozier in the deal to give them someone to develop at the point but I wouldn't want to give up more. It depends on whether Memphis think his value will increase as the season wears on or not

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2016, 03:33:01 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
I would give up 16, 23 and return the future Grizz pick for Marc. Could Grizz turn three first down?

That's the 85 million dollar question. If so, the Celtics could keep their young core. I would argue that there's a big advantage for Boston if they can add stars to what they've already got, rather than trading key guys like Crowder - even if the return is a better player.
Big centers with foot problems in their 30's sounds like a terrible idea. But Gasol is a hell of a talent and a smart player. If the Grizzlies decide to rebuild and Gasol could be gotten for a package like that (I'd throw in some 2nds also) then I think the Celtics would have to take a chance on his health.

You could start with two or three 2nds this year.  Boston is not badly in need of long-shots, they're overloaded with draft picks as it is.

I agree that taking a chance on Gasol is worth it, given thumbs up from the Celtics' medical staff, of course - how much to give up is the key. And I guess that basically boils down to: Brooklyn picks, yea or nay.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 08:04:33 PM by ThePaintedArea »

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2016, 05:43:48 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum

I believe Amir is on a non guaranteed deal not a team option so Memphis could waive him for the cap space.

Yes, up until July 3rd. But they don't have to match salaries to begin with, so it doesn't gain them anything to take on his salary only to renounce it. If they trade Gasol they're on the hook for only 28 some odd million next season, and even less a year from now.

You may have to put Rozier in the deal to give them someone to develop at the point but I wouldn't want to give up more. It depends on whether Memphis think his value will increase as the season wears on or not.

That makes perfect sense for Memphis - a young guy on a rookie contract with high upside. And I agree that I would want to give up picks, in preference to players. 

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2016, 07:11:37 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
Breaking news: Marc Gasol has switched agents. Why?

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2016, 07:29:58 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

He can be a Laker ?

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2016, 08:01:25 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum

He can be a Laker ?

Explain?