Author Topic: The Other Gasol  (Read 3595 times)

The Other Gasol
« on: May 29, 2016, 09:59:09 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
I think that you can make an argument for signing Pau Gasol - but even better, why not trade for his brother? 

He's signed long-term (player option in 2019).  He's the perfect Danny Ainge center: you can run offense through him at the high post, and he plays great team defense; and he's not a bad rim protector.  For what it's worth (something, I think), he's a two-time all-star.

Yes, he's expensive; but ownership has expressed a willingness to pay the freight, and Boston has plenty available going forward.

He has the same agent (aha!) as Marcus Smart (and as Bjelica and Clint Capela as well... just sayin).

It's clearly time for Chris Wallace to take a good look ahead right now and determine what the Griz are playing for next year, and whether it's worth keeping this team together to get there.  Zach Randolph starts next season at age 35, Chris Andersen at 38, Matt Barnes at 36, Tony Allen at 34, Vince Carter at 39.  Mike Conley is unrestricted this summer.  The roster is filled out with Mario Chalmers, Lance Stephenson, Brandan Wright, and journeymen.  Does this look like a future contender?

(No.)

Worse, they owe their 2017... first to Denver and 2019... first to Boston.  That's a conundrum; what's the point of tearing it down, if you've got few resources to build it up again - while on the other side it'll likely get harder and harder as they continue to put off the inevitable? 

Well, what if they could get one of those picks back? And, maybe, one or two other picks in the bargain?  Because it looks like the next few years could get a little rough for them.  The thought of rebuilding must cross Wallace's mind every time he goes home at night.

Look what happens to Conley this summer.  If he goes elsewhere, Marc is almost certainly available.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 08:09:43 PM by ThePaintedArea »

Re: The Other Gasol
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 08:35:32 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Marc Gasol would be a fine addition.

But Memphis trading him would be the equivalent of a white flag; I would be surprised if they do it.

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 09:38:54 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Too old and too injury prone.

Pass.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 09:53:44 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
What makes MGasol perfect for Brad's system?

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 11:09:15 AM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum

But Memphis trading him would be the equivalent of a white flag; I would be surprised if they do it.

You've put your finger on it - trading him means that they're going to break it down and rebuild.  What I've argued is that that is exactly what they have to do.  Their core guys are all on the wrong side of 30, except Conley - but he's an unrestricted free agent.  Most of them are clearly declining, except Gasol.  He is their most tradeable asset by far.

It's screamingly obvious that they have to rebuild; the question is: do they build around him or trade him to get it going.  He's 31; if they start now they'll be lucky to be a contender by the end of his contract.

I've argued that Mike Conley is the key.  If he leaves in free agency this summer their hand is forced.  They may even have a good idea about the likelihood of that already.

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 11:19:30 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

You've put your finger on it - trading him means that they're going to break it down and rebuild.  What I've argued is that that is exactly what they have to do.  Their core guys are all on the wrong side of 30, except Conley - but he's an unrestricted free agent.  Most of them are clearly declining, except Gasol.  He is their most tradeable asset by far.

It's screamingly obvious that they have to rebuild; the question is: do they build around him or trade him to get it going.  He's 31; if they start now they'll be lucky to be a contender by the end of his contract.

I've argued that Mike Conley is the key.  If he leaves in free agency this summer their hand is forced.  They may even have a good idea about the likelihood of that already.

Thanks for the clarification; I now see your point.

What scares me in the scenario where they trade Gasol is rebuilding around a PG who is good but not elite. Without Gasol it might take them years to return to the playoffs and without their 2017 and 2019 picks this is a desperate situation.

A middle of the way approach to their situation would be to trade their other veterans for whatever young talents and picks they can get - I guess Tony Allen is the most valuable of them; keep Conley and Gasol; and try to attract someone in the FA. This will hopefully allow them to be competitive in the playoffs- not a contender to be sure, but a decent team.

I wonder what will be the impact of hiring Fizdale to their decision making.

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 11:50:24 AM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum

Pass.

I'd agree that age and durability are the important issues to be cautious about, and I'd also add the size of his contract to the list.  I take it that you'd agree that otherwise he'd be a fit?

I'd quibble a little with your characterizations of him as "too" old and "too" injury-prone, however.

He starts next season at 31.  At 30, he was an all-star.  He has a game that ages well.

Is he injury-prone?  Well, he had a season-ending injury in February.  The previous season he played 81 games; out of eight seasons played, he's played essentially a whole season five times.  He has not lost time from a chronic issue.  The injury this year was a broken navicular bone; foot injuries are naturally a concern, especially for a big man in his 30's.  But it was a non-displaced fracture, and, again, not part of a pattern of injuries.  No doubt Brian McKeon can wisely guide the Celtics in this matter.

I would not agree that he is "injury-prone" - but the aftermath of this injury is a decisive factor.  Your point about his age has more merit; but at 31 I think that you can get his game at a high level for several seasons.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 12:02:00 PM by ThePaintedArea »

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 12:00:52 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
What makes MGasol perfect for Brad's system?

You can run offense through him out of the high post.  So he doesn't clog the lane and allows you to take advantage of, for example, Isaiah Thomas' game driving into the paint.  He's a very good passer and a good rim protector.  He's an effective midrange shooter.  Unlike Jahlil Okafor, he'd contribute immediately to the Celtics' already outstanding team defense.

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 12:28:51 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum

What scares me in the scenario where they trade Gasol is rebuilding around a PG who is good but not elite. Without Gasol it might take them years to return to the playoffs and without their 2017 and 2019 picks this is a desperate situation.

I assume you mean Conley and not Mario Chalmers here.  The problem with Conley is that he's a UFA and they might lose him for nothing.  Look at it from Conley's point of view: they're clearly declining, while he's in his prime and looking to get paid in a long-term deal, likely his best shot.  I'd leave, get on an up-and-coming team like Utah, and get off the sinking ship.

Your point about the draft picks is a good one - and that's why they'd be interested to talk to a team like Boston; they could even get their own pick back from the Celtics - at this point it looks like it might be valuable.

A middle of the way approach to their situation would be to trade their other veterans for whatever young talents and picks they can get - I guess Tony Allen is the most valuable of them; keep Conley and Gasol; and try to attract someone in the FA. This will hopefully allow them to be competitive in the playoffs- not a contender to be sure, but a decent team.

Tony Allen the most valuable of the lot... you're pointing to how little value their roster has.  Actually I think that Brandan Wright and Mario Chalmers have more value than Allen; he's 34 starting next season and is not suddenly going to become a good jump-shooter.  But I think that that reinforces my point.

As for free agents, it's hard to see a less attractive situation than Memphis'.

I wonder what will be the impact of hiring Fizdale to their decision making.

Hmm.  Might help them hold on to Chalmers. 

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2016, 12:37:57 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

Pass.

I'd agree that age and durability are the important issues to be cautious about, and I'd also add the size of his contract to the list.  I take it that you'd agree that otherwise he'd be a fit?

I'd quibble a little with your characterizations of him as "too" old and "too" injury-prone, however.

He starts next season at 31.  At 30, he was an all-star.  He has a game that ages well.

Is he injury-prone?  Well, he had a season-ending injury in February.  The previous season he played 81 games; out of eight seasons played, he's played essentially a whole season five times.  He has not lost time from a chronic issue.  The injury this year was a broken navicular bone; foot injuries are naturally a concern, especially for a big man in his 30's.  But it was a non-displaced fracture, and, again, not part of a pattern of injuries.  No doubt Brian McKeon can wisely guide the Celtics in this matter.

I would not agree that he is "injury-prone" - but the aftermath of this injury is a decisive factor.  Your point about his age has more merit; but at 31 I think that you can get his game at a high level for several seasons.

^ yep I agree with that. He is 31 and has a contract for another four seasons.

There is a risk that in the last couple of seasons of his contract his performance will have declined; but these is how contracts work for 30+yo All Stars.

If Memphis indeed decided to rebuild and traded him, Gasol would uld be a good addition despite his age.

As for injuries, I also agree with ThePaintedArea; afaik there is no indication he has any chronic problems.

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2016, 12:43:24 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I would give up 16, 23 and return the future Grizz pick for Marc. Could Grizz turn three first down?

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2016, 12:52:29 PM »

Offline JumpingJudkins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 29
I've been thinking for a while that Marc Gasol would somehow end up on the Celtics. I just want to do it without giving up the No. 3 pick.

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2016, 01:07:28 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Marc Gasol is an awesome player. Marc Gasol is 7 feet tall, quite heavy, and just broke his foot.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2016, 01:54:47 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I'm sold on bringing him in. He'd launch us to parity with the Cavs imo. I think they'd ask for the #3 this year which would be steep, I would send the 2018 Nets pick their way though.

Gasol for Nets 18, #16, Amir, Young

I think you would need to give up a decent lottery pick to get . It would 100% be worth it

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2016, 02:30:36 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
I would give up 16, 23 and return the future Grizz pick for Marc. Could Grizz turn three first down?

That's the 85 million dollar question. If so, the Celtics could keep their young core. I would argue that there's a big advantage for Boston if they can add stars to what they've already got, rather than trading key guys like Crowder - even if the return is a better player.