Author Topic: If C's Can't Get a Star, Who Do you Want to Trade For?  (Read 7593 times)

Re: If C's Can't Get a Star, Who Do you Want to Trade For?
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2016, 02:58:10 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
LOL, the #3 overall for Gobert?

I'm sorry,  I don't see it.  Gobert was a good pick, but he'd go no higher than mid-1st in a redone draft.

The only "non-stars" I see helping us would be someone like Serge Ibaka or Evan Fournier. 
And neither of those guys should go for more than our later first round picks, plus maybe a young prospect.

NONE of them are worth the #3 overall pick.  And besides don't forget that Sullinger and Zeller may have some value as S&T as well.

Gobert would probably go #2 in a redraft of 2013, with #1 being a defensible view.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2016, 03:06:01 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
Doing nothing is underrated in the forums these days  ;D

there is no reason to make a mediocre/bad deal just for the sake of it. keeping the pick and staying put is not the best course but it is not the worst either.

I've been saying this for a long time  but this is a huge flaw with media and the internet in general.  People need to talk about stuff. If the internet existed in the 80's those teams would have been blown up a million times over.

A lot of people never would have drafted Bird.  They would have had us trading the pick to Philly for World B Free.  They would have been complaining too much about how Bird wasn't going to play that year.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 03:21:20 AM by walker834 »

« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2016, 08:48:58 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

there is no reason to make a mediocre/bad deal just for the sake of it. keeping the pick and staying put is not the best course but it is not the worst either.

I agree.

I agree

I agree.
I also agree with this.  So many posters are in so much of a rush it's ridiculous.  There are posters who think Ainge sucks because he hasn't won another championship for us immediately after blowing up the big 3 team.  Ainge wants to win his trades.  The best course is to be patient and continue to come out ahead in any transaction.

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2016, 09:19:44 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
Noel for #16

« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2016, 10:26:32 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Take a run at Monroe (not using the number 3 pick)

« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2016, 06:49:34 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Smart and AB and #23 and late 2nd for Oladipo.

The problem....Orlando wouldn't go for it.

You are crazy.
future all star for future staters (and it's possible that in Smart's case that is very kind)

Orlando wouldn't do it. They have Hezonia and Elfrid P and just don't need a trade like this at all. That's why you have to add the picks on to make it make any sense for them

Orlando would make that trade in a heartbeat.  You are crazy.  I am not sure I would trade AB straight up for Oladipo. 

Look:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&y1=2016&p1=oladivi01&y2=2016&p2=bradlav01&p3=&p4=&p5=&p6=
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 06:55:34 PM by mctyson »

« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2016, 07:22:33 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199

You are crazy.
future all star for future staters (and it's possible that in Smart's case that is very kind)

Orlando wouldn't do it. They have Hezonia and Elfrid P and just don't need a trade like this at all. That's why you have to add the picks on to make it make any sense for them

Orlando would make that trade in a heartbeat.  You are crazy.  I am not sure I would trade AB straight up for Oladipo. 

Look:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&y1=2016&p1=oladivi01&y2=2016&p2=bradlav01&p3=&p4=&p5=&p6=
AB AND Smart AND a pick?!   Holy Moses!  Can we throw in Crowder and IT while we're at it?  Nothing like trading 2 dimes and a nickel for... A dime.

« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2016, 07:22:56 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
If no Boogie

I'd go after Oakfor or Noel.

« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2016, 07:54:20 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

You are crazy.

Look:
Ok, this is where I stopped reading

« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2016, 07:55:39 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Go with

IT, Rozier or #3 pick
Oladipo, RJ or #3 pick

Makes it easier to take a combo guard. Plus Oladipo is a combo guard and is an excellent defender.

That's not a reasonable offer.  Avery Bradley and Victor Oladipo are close to on the same level as prospects.  Oladipo is a year and a half younger and more versatile offensively, but Bradley is a better defender.  Their numbers are fairly similar.

Throwing in Marcus Smart and the twenty-third pick is way to much.  Seems like a classic case of "grass is greener" syndrome.
That's because the grass is actually greener in this case. Oladipo should have been the #1 pick in his draft. He is an excellent defender and has something neither Smart nor Avery have in significant amounts...it's called offense.

« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2016, 09:21:36 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney

Go with

IT, Rozier or #3 pick
Oladipo, RJ or #3 pick

Makes it easier to take a combo guard. Plus Oladipo is a combo guard and is an excellent defender.

That's not a reasonable offer.  Avery Bradley and Victor Oladipo are close to on the same level as prospects.  Oladipo is a year and a half younger and more versatile offensively, but Bradley is a better defender.  Their numbers are fairly similar.

Throwing in Marcus Smart and the twenty-third pick is way to much.  Seems like a classic case of "grass is greener" syndrome.
That's because the grass is actually greener in this case. Oladipo should have been the #1 pick in his draft. He is an excellent defender and has something neither Smart nor Avery have in significant amounts...it's called offense.
The 2013 NBA draft is the consensus worst draft in the history of the NBA and Oladipo happened to be selected right behind the worst #1 pick of all time, Anthony Bennett.  You're not saying much.  Kelly Olynyk would probably be around 5th in a re-draft.

Oladipo IS a better offensive player than Smart or Bradley, but he's not tearing up the league.  His trajectory has basically been flat since he entered the league.  He's a 2nd tier shooting guard.  Not as good a defender as Bradley, but solid.  Smart still has a higher ceiling.  If I'm talking trade with ORL, it's going to be about Gordon, not Oladipo.

« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2016, 09:33:18 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney

You are crazy.

Look:
Ok, this is where I stopped reading
I'm also not 100% sure I make that deal, but only because I'm not sure about the contracts.  All else being equal, you'd rather have Oladipo.  I believe Bradley is locked up through 2018 at around 8M.  Oladipo should be on the final guaranteed deal of his rookie contract next year, right?  I guess my thinking is, I don't want to be on the hook for Oladipo's big payday.  If such a deal were to happen, would we retain the ability to make a qualifying offer and match offers for Oladipo?  I'm not a CBA expert.  Either way, i'm not excited about Oladipo for $20M.

« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2016, 10:15:03 PM »

Offline HuskerCeltic

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 4

I agree.

I agree

I agree.
I also agree with this.  So many posters are in so much of a rush it's ridiculous.  There are posters who think Ainge sucks because he hasn't won another championship for us immediately after blowing up the big 3 team.  Ainge wants to win his trades.  The best course is to be patient and continue to come out ahead in any transaction.

Can you guys be more specific?

What about our free agents? Standing Pat doesn't address who you keep and who walks.

Draft? Are you saying just draft best available 8 times?

Free agency? No thanks? Prices too high?

Trades? Not unless it is a Trader Danny special?

I disagree, doing nothing is overated.

« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2016, 10:18:52 PM »

Online Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Favors and Hayward for 3, 16, 23 and 31.
Neither one is worth rhe 3rd overall but together they are worth all those picks. Hayward and Favors are great fits. Each are good 2nd option guys. It boost the teams overall talent. Start IT, AB, Hayward, Favors and KO. Bring Rozier, Smart, Crowder, JJ and AJ off the bench for a 10 deep team.

« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2016, 10:24:11 PM »

Offline HuskerCeltic

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 4
Trade for Kevin Love, package picks and players to NYK, Melo to Cleveland.

I like going for Hayward and Favors.

Also like any upgrade to shooting. My favorite non star is Beal. I think he will be a star.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 10:33:49 PM by HuskerCeltic »