Author Topic: If C's Can't Get a Star, Who Do you Want to Trade For?  (Read 7602 times)

Re: If C's Can't Get a Star, Who Do you Want to Trade For?
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2016, 09:56:48 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
This is a loser-mentality thread.  Keep faith that Ainge will make something good out of this.  He has repeatedly referred to "special" players (i.e. superstars).

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2016, 02:12:00 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Derrick Favors, Rudy Gobert, James Johnson, Nikola Vucevic

I'd love any of those guys in Green and I think the #3 could get any of them. Maybe except Favors

Gobert averages a double double per 36 min and he has probably not yet reached his peak; moreover,  from what I know Utah has invested in his future.

IMO it would take than a #3 pick.

#3 for James Johnson? Now I think we've seen it all.

I'm assuming the last two names are jokes, because anyone that dumb is likely to have accidentally shot himself.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2016, 02:19:29 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Smart and AB and #23 and late 2nd for Oladipo.

The problem....Orlando wouldn't go for it.

You are crazy.
future all star for future staters (and it's possible that in Smart's case that is very kind)

Orlando wouldn't do it. They have Hezonia and Elfrid P and just don't need a trade like this at all. That's why you have to add the picks on to make it make any sense for them

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2016, 02:24:40 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Stars are hard to trade for but the Celtics have to consolodate some of the picks and prospects into a single player with more talent. Are there any non-all stars who you want?

The Celtics do not have to consolidate all their picks.  It is commonly stated on this blog and elsewhere that they cannot use all 8 draft picks, or that they must make a trade. That is not true.

The team could in theory lose 5 players from its current roster.  Turner (unrestricted), Sullinger (restricted) and Zeller (restricted) are free agents.  I can very easily see Turner and Sullinger being offered contracts that far exceed what Danny would like to pay them.  It is harder to see Zeller getting paid but it is also easier to see him leaving.  We have to be prepared to lose all 3.  Johnson and Jerebko are on team-options for next year and I would expect at least one of them not to return, most likely Johnson.  But for the sake of my argument let's assume all 5 players leave and we sign no free agents.

That's 5 roster spots for draft picks right there.  If we do indeed use all 8 selections, I expect maybe half of them will be used on overseas players who will be kept overseas.  Depending on whom we pick we could add 4 to 5 rookies to the team.

While it is highly unlikely that this scenario plays out, and it is certainly not my preference, we as fans have to be prepared for the small possibility that there is no trade, and that there are no free agents worth signing to replace those that leave the Cs.  I don't consider this a terrible outcome either.  We will just have to be patient.
While you might technically correct, it would be a waste to let some all 5 of those guys walk away for nothing so we could use 5 second round selections in one year. That just seems like a terrible way to build a team.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2016, 02:49:13 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I want a big man. Someone who is a top 10-12 player at PF or C.

Noel or Gobert would be awesome.

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2016, 02:50:09 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Go with

IT, Rozier or #3 pick
Oladipo, RJ or #3 pick

Makes it easier to take a combo guard. Plus Oladipo is a combo guard and is an excellent defender.

That's not a reasonable offer.  Avery Bradley and Victor Oladipo are close to on the same level as prospects.  Oladipo is a year and a half younger and more versatile offensively, but Bradley is a better defender.  Their numbers are fairly similar.

Throwing in Marcus Smart and the twenty-third pick is way to much.  Seems like a classic case of "grass is greener" syndrome.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2016, 03:03:37 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I loved this team last year and will be fine if we can't trade for a star. Letting Sully, Zeller, Turner and Holland go in free agency would be my preference if we can't trade for a star.

If we can't get a star this summer, it doesn't mean one won't be available at the trade deadline, or next year. We need to bide our time and stay ready to make a big move.

If we do want to go the second tier trade route I would target guys like Favors, Gallinari, Ibaka, Wilson Chandler or Faried.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 03:46:13 PM by Evantime34 »
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2016, 03:06:27 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If no star is incoming, I want Ainge to use the number three pick on the highest upside guy.

I would want to see Sullinger, Zeller, and Turner go elsewhere.

In free agency, I would want Ainge to add a couple of short term veteran solutions who wouldn't necessarily block younger guys from getting time, much as he did with Amir Johnson.

Two names that come to mind for me are Jared Dudley and Ersan Ilyasova.  Zaza Pachulia is another.

I won't be at all shocked of the way this summer goes is the Celts use the top pick, draft and stash with most of the rest, resign Turner for two or three years, and then sign Ryan Anderson and Joakim Noah.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2016, 03:10:44 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
I loved this team last year and will be fine if we can't trade for a star. Letting Sully, Zeller, Turner and Holland go in free agency would be my preference if we can't trade for a star.

If we can't get a star this summer, it doesn't mean one won't be available at the trade deadline, or next year. We need to bide our time and stay ready to make a big move.

If we do want to go the second tier trade route I would target guys like Favors, Gallinari, Ibaka, or Faried.

Gallo! TP for that

Gallo doesn't sound like he'd come with an absurd price tag and I think he'd be terrific on this offensively challenged team.

I'd draft Bender and trade for Gallo.

- LilRip

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2016, 03:49:59 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
If no star is incoming, I want Ainge to use the number three pick on the highest upside guy.

I would want to see Sullinger, Zeller, and Turner go elsewhere.

In free agency, I would want Ainge to add a couple of short term veteran solutions who wouldn't necessarily block younger guys from getting time, much as he did with Amir Johnson.

Two names that come to mind for me are Jared Dudley and Ersan Ilyasova.  Zaza Pachulia is another.

I won't be at all shocked of the way this summer goes is the Celts use the top pick, draft and stash with most of the rest, resign Turner for two or three years, and then sign Ryan Anderson and Joakim Noah.
I love the idea of adding guys like Dudley on short deals.

I am not a fan of Ryan Anderson. Too injury prone, doesn't really play defense and doesn't solve our rebounding issue (which will be made worse if we get rid of Sully).
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2016, 04:20:56 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

You are crazy.
future all star for future staters (and it's possible that in Smart's case that is very kind)

Orlando wouldn't do it. They have Hezonia and Elfrid P and just don't need a trade like this at all. That's why you have to add the picks on to make it make any sense for them
You must know that you are being ridiculous. right?

If you want to rip on our players, just rip on them, dont do it through the thin veil of an absurd trade suggestion.

Id imagine if Oladipo wore green hed be nothing more than a 6th man on a terrible team, which is the role he played this year for about a quarter of the season. Then he became a decent starter on a terrible team. Huzzah!!! why not throw the Brooklyn pick in because its a 2 player draft and whoever we pick will probably be trash anyway.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2016, 04:36:39 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Derrick Favors, Rudy Gobert, James Johnson, Nikola Vucevic

I'd love any of those guys in Green and I think the #3 could get any of them. Maybe except Favors

Gobert averages a double double per 36 min and he has probably not yet reached his peak; moreover,  from what I know Utah has invested in his future.

IMO it would take than a #3 pick.

#3 for James Johnson? Now I think we've seen it all.

I shouldnt have lumped Johsnon in with the other 3. I would probably trade the 3 for Gobert, Favors or Vucevic but I'd only trade a mid first for Johnson. There are valuable players who aren't worth high picks and I think Johnson is one of them.

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2016, 12:57:56 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
LOL, the #3 overall for Gobert?

I'm sorry,  I don't see it.  Gobert was a good pick, but he'd go no higher than mid-1st in a redone draft.

The only "non-stars" I see helping us would be someone like Serge Ibaka or Evan Fournier. 
And neither of those guys should go for more than our later first round picks, plus maybe a young prospect.

NONE of them are worth the #3 overall pick.  And besides don't forget that Sullinger and Zeller may have some value as S&T as well.

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2016, 01:12:35 AM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
Doing nothing is underrated in the forums these days  ;D

there is no reason to make a mediocre/bad deal just for the sake of it. keeping the pick and staying put is not the best course but it is not the worst either.

I agree.

I agree

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2016, 01:15:12 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Doing nothing is underrated in the forums these days  ;D

there is no reason to make a mediocre/bad deal just for the sake of it. keeping the pick and staying put is not the best course but it is not the worst either.

I agree.

I agree

I agree.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about