Author Topic: Impact of Play-off outcome on draft selection  (Read 1045 times)

Impact of Play-off outcome on draft selection
« on: May 29, 2016, 05:33:13 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Watching the exciting Golden State victory over OKC last night got me to wondering: What happens if GS, largely on the backs, offensively, of its two sharp shooting guards, manages to win another NBA championship this season? Does that propel the value of the premium long distance shooters like Hield and Murray, and diminish the value of Brown and Simmons? What impact does it have on the draft value of Bender?

Likewise, if OKC manages to win game 7, with big contributions of its two stars and the great inside strength of Adams, does that cause a re-thinking of the right prototype player to draft? Particularly increasing value of muscle under the boards?  Either style has its moments, and can work.

Maybe we need to design our team to be able to score in multiple ways. The good news is that we are very defensive oriented, and create a lot of turnovers leading to easy buckets. I think we will see more players who will be able to shoot increasingly further at a very high rate, opening the floor even further, and decreasing the importance of size. Really starting to doubt the soundness of pursuing Okafor for this reason.

Re: Impact of Play-off outcome on draft selection
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 06:27:12 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I suspect that GS's duo coupled with the success of Cleveland in several of their wins is going to increase the premium on shooting. This of course really helps Hield and Murray. Just the way the NBA is going right now.

I want to see a team meld the two, have great shooting and size inside.

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 06:34:16 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Be nice if LeBron could loose .  Might speed up the break up of Cavs.

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 06:52:45 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Everybody always overreacts to the championship winner and says "That's the way to win now" instead of acknowledging that they were just better at what they did than everybody else was at what they do. So maybe. But most of the league already values shooting pretty high right now so I don't know how much another GS win would move the needle.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 06:58:10 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I think the premium on shooting helps Bender too. He has potential there, particularly for a PF.

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 07:07:12 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Everybody always overreacts to the championship winner and says "That's the way to win now" instead of acknowledging that they were just better at what they did than everybody else was at what they do. So maybe. But most of the league already values shooting pretty high right now so I don't know how much another GS win would move the needle.

I agree with this.

I mean, people are still running the triangle now, even though it only really worked like a dream for one team - and a team that could have run pretty much any offense and still dominated.

It's the same with the GSW model. It's terrific...if you have a guy who can hit any shot from 30 feet and closer, and has one of the best handles and quickest releases in the game.

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 12:35:39 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

I agree with this.

I mean, people are still running the triangle now, even though it only really worked like a dream for one team - and a team that could have run pretty much any offense and still dominated.

It's the same with the GSW model. It's terrific...if you have a guy who can hit any shot from 30 feet and closer, and has one of the best handles and quickest releases in the game.

Agree 1000%.

It is very important to not try to get too caught up with mimicking what has worked for other teams with other players.

You just have to assemble THE best pile of talent you can and play a system that works best for THEM.  If that ends up similar to what some other team is doing, fine.   But you can't count on finding clones of Curry or Lebron.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.