Author Topic: Trade idea C's and Magic shuffle  (Read 2893 times)

Re: Trade idea C's and Magic shuffle
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2016, 01:04:35 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
C's trade
Picks-3, 23, 35, 51
Players-AB, Hunter, JJ

C's receive from Magic
Picks-11, 41
Players-Oladipo, Gordon, Mario

I see Gordon as a better fit with C's and Bender exactly what Magic could use next to Vucevic. C's need an athletic big, Magic need spacing. So C's 1st trade part break down is picks 3 and 23 for Gordon and Mario. Mario and the 23 are added because Bender at 7'1 has the upside edge and Fournier is likely being resigned. Mario is the Magic's trade chip. That deserves a balance of the 23 pick.
 Now with AB, he is a better starter for Magic and C's. C's take a hit there but a shuffle of picks and dealing bench players to magic even it out. Break down is AB, Hunter, JJ, 35 and 51 are moved for Oladipo, 11 and 41. Smart worked well with IT in the playoffs so Iike the pairing going foward. And Oladipo would make an excellent 6man for C's with Turner departing.

C's team starters=IT, Smart, Crowder, Gordon, KO
C's bench=Rozier, Oladipo, Mario, Young, Mickey, AJ
C's picks=11, 16, 31, 41, 45, 58
I'd look to getting a good big at 11 Davis, Lab or Peoltl. Then again at 16 with Zizic, Jones or Zubac. Really stack up because of AJ and KOs inconsistency. Probably move 2 seconds for future seconds (45,58) and try one stash player that way team carries just three rookies.

Magic team starters=Payton, AB, Fournier, Ily/Bender, Vucevic
Magic Picks=23, 35, 47, 51
Magic bench is incomplete but they still have a ton of cap space so maybe they get Hordford who is a Florida guy and he recruits Teague. They would then have some awesome rotations with Payton, Ily and Bender as off the bench the year.

So it's not a big trade. It's not the names we have heard before. It's a shuffling of players and picks. I think it helps C's roster be more balanced and roles are more defined at the start of the year so no roster experimenting for 20 games. I also think the 11th pick is the sweet spot to get a real good player that slides.

TP for a new original trade idea.
I think the celtics would jump at the opportunity to accomplish this, yet the magic would decline.

Gordon and oladipo are huge pieces, and they also throw in mario? Pretty sure the magic want to build around gordon.
I completely disagree, I think ORL looks at this deal very seriously.

You don't build a team around Gordon.  3-point dunk winner, super-athlete, but that's about it.  Oladipo is nice piece but not a franchise cornerstone.

In fact, after the way the Magic disintegrated last year (after a fast start), strongly suggests they have to abandon their current direction.  They don't have any super-elite players or even one that might become one someday.  Now they have a new coach too.

I guess we fundamentally disagree about Gordon's upside. He's a 20 year old 6'9 hyper athlete who while he hasn't developed a 3pt shot yet (.29ish,) he has shown a capability to hit them. He also has come a long way as a defender. He isn't going to be the shot blocker some here clamor for, but he has an ability to switch screens and defend out to the perimeter while also holding his own in the paint. He also had 1.6 assists to .8 turnovers last year, showing that he isn't exactly lost when he gets the ball. 9.2 pts and 6.5 rb in 24 mpg isn't shabby.

Oladpio I kind of agree. He seems to be what he is going to be. I felt most of their tumultous end to the season was Payton trying to do too much.
#JKJB

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2016, 02:05:17 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
C's need an athletic big, Magic need spacing.

You don't think the Celtics need more perimeter shooting talent to provide spacing?
They do but not from their bigs. KO, AJ, Zeller and Sully were all able to score from mid range. They didn't have a guy mobile enough to be a pick and roll threat consistently nor could they get Sully or other bigs to work well enough in the paint to open up easy spot ups. BS had to work a lot of plays for looks that should come easier. This is why Gordon makes sense as a pick and roll player and elbow faceups from the 4 spot. Then I also have faith Mario and James Young will come around but in two more years. I know 2 years is a while but that is what happens with young players they need time.

The Celtics need to have three legitimate three-point threats in the starting lineup.  Jae Crowder is not a legitimate three-point threat.  Replacing Bradley with Oladipo is actually diminishing the Celtics' floor-spacing abilities.

Maybe if you left Oladipo and Bradley out of the deal and could make a case that Hezonja could become a solid defender who could start at SF and push Crowder to an Iguadala-like bench contribution, I could consider some sort of deal built around #3, other picks for Hezonja, Gordon, #11.  If both teams would take Bender with #3, I might make a deal contingent on whether or not a specific player is still available at #11.
Oladipo is to be a six man he is not meant to address the starters 3pt shooting but fill the void of Turner. Yes you lose Bradley from the line up a .360 3 shooter. But you add the potential of Mario's development, the 11 pick, and Gordon vs just the 3 and the lower picks. You also have to have some faith Crowder and Smart improve their shots to .350-.360 which they could do considering Crowder was .336 this year (he really struggled after injury) and Smart was .335 his first (non-hand injured) year. Hitting at those marks is respectable enough. Then with AJ and KO they have good range for bigs but there is no big taking advantage of this. No big that can lock down on defense or be a mismatch offensively driving/slashing to the rim. That is why Gordon is appealing to me. With AJ and KO Bender isn't as big of a desire as a Gordon type PF.

Why trade a starting-caliber player for a sixth man?   Why do Oladipo and Bradley need to be part of this proposed trade?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2016, 02:13:55 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I don't think that Orlando would do that.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2016, 08:07:47 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
C's need an athletic big, Magic need spacing.

You don't think the Celtics need more perimeter shooting talent to provide spacing?
They do but not from their bigs. KO, AJ, Zeller and Sully were all able to score from mid range. They didn't have a guy mobile enough to be a pick and roll threat consistently nor could they get Sully or other bigs to work well enough in the paint to open up easy spot ups. BS had to work a lot of plays for looks that should come easier. This is why Gordon makes sense as a pick and roll player and elbow faceups from the 4 spot. Then I also have faith Mario and James Young will come around but in two more years. I know 2 years is a while but that is what happens with young players they need time.

The Celtics need to have three legitimate three-point threats in the starting lineup.  Jae Crowder is not a legitimate three-point threat.  Replacing Bradley with Oladipo is actually diminishing the Celtics' floor-spacing abilities.

Maybe if you left Oladipo and Bradley out of the deal and could make a case that Hezonja could become a solid defender who could start at SF and push Crowder to an Iguadala-like bench contribution, I could consider some sort of deal built around #3, other picks for Hezonja, Gordon, #11.  If both teams would take Bender with #3, I might make a deal contingent on whether or not a specific player is still available at #11.
Oladipo is to be a six man he is not meant to address the starters 3pt shooting but fill the void of Turner. Yes you lose Bradley from the line up a .360 3 shooter. But you add the potential of Mario's development, the 11 pick, and Gordon vs just the 3 and the lower picks. You also have to have some faith Crowder and Smart improve their shots to .350-.360 which they could do considering Crowder was .336 this year (he really struggled after injury) and Smart was .335 his first (non-hand injured) year. Hitting at those marks is respectable enough. Then with AJ and KO they have good range for bigs but there is no big taking advantage of this. No big that can lock down on defense or be a mismatch offensively driving/slashing to the rim. That is why Gordon is appealing to me. With AJ and KO Bender isn't as big of a desire as a Gordon type PF.

Why trade a starting-caliber player for a sixth man?   Why do Oladipo and Bradley need to be part of this proposed trade?
I'm not sure Magic would go for it without AB.

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2016, 06:31:00 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
You have way to much time on your hands