Author Topic: Draft Bender = Sign Gasol  (Read 2156 times)

Re: Draft Bender = Sign Gasol
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2016, 05:20:57 PM »

Offline budMovin

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
Are the Celtics in business to win a Championship or babysit a rookie?

You sign  a Gasol type player to Win games not hold somebodys hand

Trade the pick

Gasol would help us win games. He averaged 16.5 and 11 last year while adding 2 blocks. Gasol would be a great signing whether or not we drafted Bender.
"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
                 -Gladiator

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2016, 12:06:50 PM »

Offline CelticsJG

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11
I am all aboard signing Gasol in general. We be a really great mentor to our bigs.

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2016, 12:29:27 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Without getting into yet another big thread arguing the merits of drafting Bender at #3, I do think there are lots of good reasons to try to sign Gasol.

He's a should be better-than average big man for at least one more season, possibly a couple.  He would help us win a few more games than last year.

And if we do draft a player like a Bender, Davis, Skal or Maker, he makes a good model for how those kids should play the game with their particular combinations of length and shooting.

The difficulty I see with the plan is simply that I expect Gasol to be in demand by a few different competitive teams.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2016, 12:36:09 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4
Are the Celtics in business to win a Championship or babysit a rookie?

You sign  a Gasol type player to Win games not hold somebodys hand

Trade the pick
Signing Gasol and picking Bender is a bit of a best of both world approach. For the next year or 2 gasol will still be high level vet big man who will really help us win a lot. THis is the benefit of trading the pick, however we still get our project big, who presumably would start to hit his NBA stride when we lose gasol.