Author Topic: Draft Bender = Sign Gasol  (Read 2154 times)

Draft Bender = Sign Gasol
« on: May 29, 2016, 12:11:38 PM »

Offline RedClaw33

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 14
As I have stated on other threads at this point I do not have a strong preference as to who the C's should draft of trade for, but given most mock drafts and the signals given from the organization it seems Dragen Bender may be that person.

Most can acknowledge, whether we like the Bender pick or not, that he will be a project and take a year or more to gain strength and develop. 

Would it make sense to sign an aging and still effect player like Gasol to fill short term needs and help develop Bender if selected?  Interested in the communities thoughts.  Gasol still averaged 16 and 11 last year.
2016 Draft Board #3 Pick

Bender>Brown>Dunn>Murray>Hield

Re: Draft Bender = Sign Gasol
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 12:28:46 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Austin Ainge said something about how adjustments are harder for international guys. I think the idea of an international mentor could be a good one, assuming you don't sacrifice too much in terms of money or talent to get that player.

Heck, it doesn't even have to be a star. Though that might be nice.

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 12:38:07 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Are we in that much of a hurry, that we need to sign a 36 year old Gasol, who may decline while we have him
under contract? We're not a contender for anything but making the playoffs as a Cinderella team.

I don't want to rebuild for ever either, but lets not make make hasty moves.

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 01:07:37 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I am for Pau. If Wolves can re-up KG for mentoring C's can do the same with a more productive Pau. Put me down for believing 2 years $25 million gets it done. $15 million first year. 2nd year $10 million is a player option.

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 01:11:54 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
I am not opposed to Pau especially if it doesn't cost too much or is for too long.

Mentoring Bender would also be really cool. Great idea and here's a TP as a welcome to the forums.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 01:46:12 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Austin Ainge said something about how adjustments are harder for international guys. I think the idea of an international mentor could be a good one, assuming you don't sacrifice too much in terms of money or talent to get that player.

Would Jonas Jerebko be enough for that role?
I'm bitter.

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 02:00:42 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Would Jonas Jerebko be enough for that role?

Good point. Maybe a reason to keep him around. TP.

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 02:36:08 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
I think Gasol only made like $7.5 million last season...Give him a 2 year $18mil deal....2nd year team option. Keep flexibility.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2016, 02:54:51 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I like Jo Noah, he would be a great mentor.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2016, 03:09:06 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
I like Gasol on a one to two year deal, but on the cheap.   There are several problems with this idea though.

1)   Gasol might be chasing a ring.  Chicago looked like a real contender but couldn’t get it done.  (On a side note that’s why the asking price for butler is too much. He couldn’t win with more talent around him, he’d have less here after we give up two of our starters plus picks to get him.)
2)   Gasol may want a big contract to play for a team that we all know will not win a championship.
3)   Even if we cut ties with Sully, Zeller, Johnson, and JJ, that leave Gasol, KO, Mickey and Bender at the 4.  KO and Gasol will need big minutes and we still want to give Jordan Mickey minutes, so we don’t have minutes for Bender.   

So it doesn’t look feasible for us to get Gasol.  We could play KO at the 5, but with picks 16 and 23 we can trade up and get a good center prospect who will need game time.   We can stay put at 16 & 23, and get two center prospects, but they will both need to play too.  With money to max out two players we can sign a free agent center who needs to play a lot of minutes.   Mickey can play small ball center, so there wouldn’t really be a need for KO to play center any more.

I think were better off starting KO at the 4 and letting bender back him up.  We can play Mickey spot minutes at the 4, more if there is an injury.

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2016, 03:16:32 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I agree.

We already have Jerebko.

A couple names that could be in play in addition to Jonas are Ersan Ilyasova, who is likely to become a free agent, and Mirza Teletovic.

Zaza Pachulia is another guy who fills a need that might be available for a reasonable price.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2016, 03:34:52 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
At 36, I think we're going to see a big dropoff is Pau's production this season.

It would still be worth it to give him a 1 or 2 year deal of $10 mil or less to come in and mentor Bender. He'd also be a great center for Stevens' system. In Chicago, he even started shooting some 3's. There are some other movies I'd like to see made at the big positions, but I like this idea as a plan B.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2016, 04:54:04 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Are the Celtics in business to win a Championship or babysit a rookie?

You sign  a Gasol type player to Win games not hold somebodys hand

Trade the pick

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2016, 05:05:53 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178

I agree.

We already have Jerebko.

A couple names that could be in play in addition to Jonas are Ersan Ilyasova, who is likely to become a free agent, and Mirza Teletovic.

Zaza Pachulia is another guy who fills a need that might be available for a reasonable price.

Pachulia is a guy we should sign if he is healthy. Mentor? Maybe, but he does the dirty work and will eat minutes at the 5 if we need him to alongside any of our PF's.

I would make him plan C after Gasol as a plan B. This especially if we dont keep Amir for some reason. I consider Pau an upgrade at the right price and veteran bigs are very valuable pieces come playoff time.

Playing Jordan Mickey should be plan D. I like the kid but lets wait until he proves something before we plug him into the rotation. Likewise if we draft Bender he has to earn some minutes. I dont think we should assume he gets them regardless.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2016, 05:16:00 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Is Garnett still under contract? He would be the ideal mentor for Bender.