Author Topic: Brad Stevens tells Jaylen Brown that he would fit perfect in Boston  (Read 21718 times)

Re: Brad Stevens tells Jaylen Brown that he would fit perfect in Boston
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2016, 10:53:00 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
It's amazing how quickly your opinion can change on a prospect after reading an article and interviews. I had no real opinion on Brown, read the Undfeated article on him and bam, I'm a fan.

https://theundefeated.com/features/jaylen-brown-the-2016-nba-drafts-renaissance-man/

Also really liking Ben Bentil.

Both guys could be good fits under CBS
Bentil is like a Brandon bass. Not as quick reflex but capable to defend some power fwd/small fwd . Needs to improve on lateral quickness and or reaction and become even stronger to battle NBA calibre power fwds(but is not far off)

Shooting though is another story. Much better shooter than bass.  Really fluid shooting stroke out to the 3 pt line. would consider taking bentil at 23

« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2016, 11:47:54 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQvNPoa1Blc

Thon Maker vs Jaylen Brown (high school)

Even from this clip though, Maker looks very skilled offensively. This is before he really started to have questions raised about his game, but his body control for a 7 footer is astounding. Maybe he just brought his A game against Brown, but this game makes you realize just how much potential Maker has.
A 7-footer with skills is hard to resist, then you see Brown with great passing and 3-point range...

To be honest, the 3pt shooting did surprise me. The passing was meh. Looked like he just made a few proper basketball plays, nothing spectacular. I wonder what his 3pt % was in that game. Brown would be a good trade down target if a deal could be worked out where the celtics get the better end of the deal. Maker is a major target at 23.

Brown's upside is through the roof. His floor is basement-esque.
I might take him at 16.

« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2016, 03:22:47 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
It's amazing how quickly your opinion can change on a prospect after reading an article and interviews. I had no real opinion on Brown, read the Undfeated article on him and bam, I'm a fan.

https://theundefeated.com/features/jaylen-brown-the-2016-nba-drafts-renaissance-man/

Good article. I'm fascinated that a kid in today's age would enter the NBA without an agent but the article has me sold that he's got it under control.

If Brown learns to shoot, I'd love to have him. He could back up Crowder until he's ready to start and then I'd want to see the two of them playing both forward spots together. I wouldn't be upset with the pick at #3 but it seems like he could be got a little farther back.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2016, 08:26:07 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Lots to like in the article about Brown, especially his intelligence and work ethic.  The bits about building his brand and orchestrating his future turned me off a bit, but if his brand includes a jump shot I'm all for it.

« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2016, 05:27:34 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
FWIW Dteve Kyler chat 5/31 4PM

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/chat/nba-rumors-chat-with-steve-kyler-53116/

Max: Jaylen Brown is being linked to Celts more and more every day. Would DA actually consider another raw athlete who can’t shoot? Even if he is willing to take someone who can’t shoot, how can one argue that Brown is BPA at #3 with Bender, Dunn, Murray, Hield, and Chriss (to a lesser extent) all available? Am I justified in being worried about Ainge picking Brown?

Steve Kyler:  I am not at all worried about Jaylen Brown. I think he’s a great fit in Boston and exactly the kind of guy Ainge gravitates towards – high basketball IQ guys that play hard and loves to be coached.

I think you may be looking at the draft the wrong way — the draft rarely produces win-now players, so if its going to take a year or two why not draft a kid with tremendous upside that fits your vision and your culture. I think people have become too quick to look at what a kids may not have done well in college and try to define him by it, rather than looking at what he does really well and trying to build on that.

If you are 25 and can’t shoot, you can’t shoot. If you are 19 and shooting .294 from college three, there is a lot of room to improve. You can help him shoot better, you can’t help him become a freak athlete.

To answer your other guys – Bender is a project, would be surprised if he really plays as a rookie. Dunn is 22, said differently he’s older than Marcus Smart by a few weeks. Hield is interesting but might be a one-tool guy in the NBA. Murray is the same guy they have three of.

If the Celtics came out of the draft with Brown, thats not a bad pick. The question is can they move down to make it and get something for the trouble?

Not a guy I'm high on, but I've been wrong before and I'm in favor of moving down if we do.

« Reply #65 on: June 01, 2016, 05:31:03 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Yeah Bentil seems underrated to me.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #66 on: June 01, 2016, 05:56:27 PM »

Offline RIPRED

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63

Saw this one. Maker having problems grabbing rebounds in traffic at times.  In this clip reminds me more of Myles turner

Brown went off. Clearly looks one step ahead but vs high school players

The high school players he was playing against were his peers though. It's not like he was a 19/20 year old kid beating up on high schoolers - he was a high schooler beating up on fellow high schoolers.

« Reply #67 on: June 01, 2016, 06:15:56 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Bentil is like a Brandon bass. Not as quick reflex but capable to defend some power fwd/small fwd . Needs to improve on lateral quickness and or reaction and become even stronger to battle NBA calibre power fwds(but is not far off)

I think he is tad bigger than Bass.  I always thought he was shorter than his listed height of 6-8. 

« Reply #68 on: June 01, 2016, 06:16:10 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

Agree. I was trying to make a list of guys I wanted with our second rounders maybe a month ago. I came across Bentil and I was like "how in the world is this guy projected to go second round?"
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2016, 06:57:25 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Even from this clip though, Maker looks very skilled offensively. This is before he really started to have questions raised about his game, but his body control for a 7 footer is astounding. Maybe he just brought his A game against Brown, but this game makes you realize just how much potential Maker has.
A 7-footer with skills is hard to resist, then you see Brown with great passing and 3-point range...

To be honest, the 3pt shooting did surprise me. The passing was meh. Looked like he just made a few proper basketball plays, nothing spectacular. I wonder what his 3pt % was in that game. Brown would be a good trade down target if a deal could be worked out where the celtics get the better end of the deal. Maker is a major target at 23.

Brown's upside is through the roof. His floor is basement-esque.
I might take him at 16.
16 is too high for Maker.  he'll still be there at 23

« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2016, 01:32:37 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
So as we know, Brown worked out for us.

Here is Sean Deveney (pretty good reporter imo) on the workout:
(Btw, Danny said Brown was great in the workout)
Cal freshman Jaylen Brown worked out for the Celtics this week, but according to a source at the workout, it was Danuel House who stole the show, matching up nicely against Brown and showing he has the potential to be a steal as a 3-and-D wing in the second round.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/nba-2016-draft-marquese-chriss-celtics-kings-danuel-house/kpclm4abewqj1qeggmjxycbyv

Also says that Chriss is apparently actually an option at 3! I really don't know how to feel about it. Not too happy right now.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2016, 08:16:53 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Visiting this thread again. 

I wonder who CBS and Ainge has in their top 3

If CBS has Brown as his fav but Ainge has Murray.... I wonder what Danny will do

« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2016, 08:37:22 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Agree. I was trying to make a list of guys I wanted with our second rounders maybe a month ago. I came across Bentil and I was like "how in the world is this guy projected to go second round?"

Same here. 

« Reply #73 on: June 12, 2016, 08:54:45 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

If CBS has Brown as his fav but Ainge has Murray.... I wonder what Danny will do

Pick Bender!

« Reply #74 on: June 12, 2016, 08:55:30 PM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48

I was on Twitter earlier and Steve Kyler mentioned that if the C's keep the pick brown is the pick.