Author Topic: Brad Stevens tells Jaylen Brown that he would fit perfect in Boston  (Read 21717 times)

Re: Brad Stevens tells Jaylen Brown that he would fit perfect in Boston
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2016, 08:21:07 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Please, can't we finally be done with the idea of using our most valuable asset on anyone who plays the 1, 2, or 3 and can't shoot? This team simply needs to improve it's offense drastically to get where it wants to be. IMO these college slasher/bricklayers provide the least value at the top of the draft. If you want to draft them late as developmental projects, fine, have at it.

Exactly. Brown is the type you take with th16th pick not the third. Also I was a very good shooter at 19 so I find it odd that a college player at 19 can't shoot. He hasn't been working on it for years? :o

« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2016, 08:22:59 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
#1 weakness is defense per DX which based on their breakdowns means he can't and never will. Abnormally bad. (Like Okafor whose #1 DX weakness was defense).  Almost all prospects have defense listed as a Dx weakness, just not in first position. He's a turnstile and gets lost easily. #2 weakness is creating offense which means he won't be as effective against NBA defenses. Pretty bad combo.

I think Valentine's rated pretty fairly as a non-lottery, midfirst. His skills are not at the level of Dunn, Hield or Murray and his weaknesses are more pronounced.

They said the same stuff about Draymond Green, too.  I do not think he will pan out like that but pretty common thing for them to say, I agree.

« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2016, 08:34:50 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQvNPoa1Blc

Thon Maker vs Jaylen Brown (high school)

« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2016, 08:45:25 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
If you were trading Crowder in a package for a big upgrade Brown would make sense. With Crowder here though I think team goes Bender.

TP for logic I agree with :)
Except there's zero logic there. The Celtics have had zero issues drafting redundant players as long as they believe they're getting the best talent available.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2016, 08:46:41 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Saw this one. Maker having problems grabbing rebounds in traffic at times.  In this clip reminds me more of Myles turner

Brown went off. Clearly looks one step ahead but vs high school players

« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2016, 08:59:38 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
He reminds me of Jeff Green.......

« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2016, 09:19:29 AM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
Please, can't we finally be done with the idea of using our most valuable asset on anyone who plays the 1, 2, or 3 and can't shoot? This team simply needs to improve it's offense drastically to get where it wants to be. IMO these college slasher/bricklayers provide the least value at the top of the draft. If you want to draft them late as developmental projects, fine, have at it.

Kawhi Leonard had the same profile and was actually shooting worse than Brown at the 3 (25%). He's now a 39% career 3 points shooter.
Buddy Heild wasn't that great as a shooter until he fixed his shooting stroke and become the best shooter.
I don't pay much attention of the shooting ability unless the stroke is completely broken, which is not the case for Brown, as scouts said.
Bender is not a good shooter as well, and he has apparently a confidence issue with that. That is more troublesome to me.

Thank you... It amazes me that people cringe at the idea of Brown but in the same breath are all over Bender. I actually think Brown has less bust potential with a very high ceiling as well... You know Brown has the physical tools to play in the NBA now.

Bender may eventually be a great player but there's no guarantee he can even stay on the court.

I've already made peace with whatever DA decides to do at 3, because there's no can't miss prospect.

« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2016, 09:27:34 AM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
He reminds me of Jeff Green.......

Other than the fact that they're both athletic freaks how does anything about Brown remind you of Green?

Green's problem is that he's soft. Had the tools to take over games but lacked a killer edge. Not sure being soft is Jaylen's problem. Brown just needs a jumper.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 09:46:17 AM by esel1000 »

« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2016, 09:43:25 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
well I like that stevens put himself out there like this. because by the sounds of it brown is the exact opposite of what this team needs.

« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2016, 10:04:29 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

Even from this clip though, Maker looks very skilled offensively. This is before he really started to have questions raised about his game, but his body control for a 7 footer is astounding. Maybe he just brought his A game against Brown, but this game makes you realize just how much potential Maker has.
#JKJB

« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2016, 10:12:53 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Even from this clip though, Maker looks very skilled offensively. This is before he really started to have questions raised about his game, but his body control for a 7 footer is astounding. Maybe he just brought his A game against Brown, but this game makes you realize just how much potential Maker has.
A 7-footer with skills is hard to resist, then you see Brown with great passing and 3-point range...

« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2016, 10:28:33 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Brown is not like green . If anything he is like a sf version of IT.  The good is-  fearless driving to the basket,  athletic, strong. The bad , could go on a shooting session - even when missing and should wind back a bit . 

His jump shot will improve as he will need to resort to shooting more at the NBA level.   

His upside is very high imo

« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2016, 10:29:03 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

A 7-footer with skills is hard to resist, then you see Brown with great passing and 3-point range...

To be honest, the 3pt shooting did surprise me. The passing was meh. Looked like he just made a few proper basketball plays, nothing spectacular. I wonder what his 3pt % was in that game. Brown would be a good trade down target if a deal could be worked out where the celtics get the better end of the deal. Maker is a major target at 23.

Brown's upside is through the roof. His floor is basement-esque.
#JKJB

« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2016, 10:37:58 AM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
It's amazing how quickly your opinion can change on a prospect after reading an article and interviews. I had no real opinion on Brown, read the Undfeated article on him and bam, I'm a fan.

https://theundefeated.com/features/jaylen-brown-the-2016-nba-drafts-renaissance-man/

Also really liking Ben Bentil.