Author Topic: Brad Stevens tells Jaylen Brown that he would fit perfect in Boston  (Read 21716 times)

Re: Brad Stevens tells Jaylen Brown that he would fit perfect in Boston
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2016, 12:25:55 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
We really really guys who can make a shot .   When IT and AB go cold ,   The Celtics are awful
We need a lights out go to scorer ......Paul George ....would work nice  :D

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2016, 12:35:24 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
I really hope we take Denzel Valentine with the 3rd pick.

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2016, 12:38:02 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
He's 19 years old. Probably has the best defensive versatility of anyone in the top 10, and is probably the most athletic player in the top 10.
His shooting was poor in college, but he shot 40% from three in high school.

As Celtics18 said, I wouldn't be unhappy with any one of:

Hield
Bender
Brown
Murray

I like Kris Dunn but he don't wanna be here.

Brown like Hield, is an absolute workhorse and will work on his game relentlessly.
If Brown shot 35% from three he'd be fighting Bender for the consensus #3 pick.
Size, athleticism and IQ like Brown are a very rare combination. If the kid could shoot he'd go #1 in a lot of drafts.

"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2016, 02:53:11 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
Please, can't we finally be done with the idea of using our most valuable asset on anyone who plays the 1, 2, or 3 and can't shoot? This team simply needs to improve it's offense drastically to get where it wants to be. IMO these college slasher/bricklayers provide the least value at the top of the draft. If you want to draft them late as developmental projects, fine, have at it.

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2016, 03:34:49 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Please, can't we finally be done with the idea of using our most valuable asset on anyone who plays the 1, 2, or 3 and can't shoot? This team simply needs to improve it's offense drastically to get where it wants to be. IMO these college slasher/bricklayers provide the least value at the top of the draft. If you want to draft them late as developmental projects, fine, have at it.

Kawhi Leonard had the same profile and was actually shooting worse than Brown at the 3 (25%). He's now a 39% career 3 points shooter.
Buddy Heild wasn't that great as a shooter until he fixed his shooting stroke and become the best shooter.
I don't pay much attention of the shooting ability unless the stroke is completely broken, which is not the case for Brown, as scouts said.
Bender is not a good shooter as well, and he has apparently a confidence issue with that. That is more troublesome to me.

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2016, 05:00:28 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Have you guys ever heard coach CBS say this to any prospects prior to the draft??  I presume He has already seen Jamal at that private workout.   Still need to hear back what Danny has to say about bender

But yeah, with dunn reluctant to workout for us and don't see a lot of interest in Hield, brown is looking like one of the top candidates to be drafted

« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2016, 05:07:42 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Yeah, I don't follow college ball.  I assume he had weak competition or a weird system that inflated his stats?  It's crazy to think that a guy averaged 19.2 points, 7.8 assists, 7.5 rebounds with 46%/44%/85% shooting, while also having legit NBA size at 6-5 220, and yet he is not even expected to be taken in the lottery. 

I guess that just goes to show you the type of advantage 4th-year College players have.  They can beat up on younger players, but it doesn't necessarily mean it will translate to the pros.   

« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2016, 05:58:44 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
The more uncertainty the Cs can add to who we are taking ... The more we trick other teams into thinking we might take their guy at 3 ... The more trade value we get. That's all he's doing. Whether he loves brown or not he'd say the same thing. What's the harm?

« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2016, 06:31:49 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Yeah, I don't follow college ball.  I assume he had weak competition or a weird system that inflated his stats?  It's crazy to think that a guy averaged 19.2 points, 7.8 assists, 7.5 rebounds with 46%/44%/85% shooting, while also having legit NBA size at 6-5 220, and yet he is not even expected to be taken in the lottery. 

I guess that just goes to show you the type of advantage 4th-year College players have.  They can beat up on younger players, but it doesn't necessarily mean it will translate to the pros. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTZgn3NddhI

#1 weakness is defense per DX which based on their breakdowns means he can't and never will. Abnormally bad. (Like Okafor whose #1 DX weakness was defense).  Almost all prospects have defense listed as a Dx weakness, just not in first position. He's a turnstile and gets lost easily. #2 weakness is creating offense which means he won't be as effective against NBA defenses. Pretty bad combo.

I think Valentine's rated pretty fairly as a non-lottery, midfirst. His skills are not at the level of Dunn, Hield or Murray and his weaknesses are more pronounced.

« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2016, 06:45:37 AM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
This brown comment explains why all the mock drafts have the Celtics picking brown 3rd now
Before that he slid to 6th and below

« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2016, 07:07:39 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
i guess if forced I take Bender , we don't need another defensive smallish guy . 

We need to let Sully , Zeller walk .....and get some help for Amir

« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2016, 07:10:51 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
This brown comment explains why all the mock drafts have the Celtics picking brown 3rd now
Before that he slid to 6th and below

First 4 I went to:

DX - Brown
NBA draft.net - Hield
NBA - Bender
ESPN - Murray

« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2016, 07:15:10 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
one thing I noticed from DX scouting reports for Brown is he is a very good slasher and that alone is something I think we need. Besides IT, and to a lesser extent Turner can really get to the whole. Maybe even Bradley...

my point is we need a wing that can slash and is very explosive and that is exactly Brown. I think he is worth the look at #3. Bender and Brown are two people I would be happy with at #3. His shot is entirely broken, and he has pretty nice handles for a wing in my opinion. Obviously he needs work but who doesn't. I'm sure if he passes his interview and can show he has the work ethics to continue being better, I'm sure he'll really fit right in. But then again I have a feeling people are going to use Marcus Smart as an example of a guy who has good form but cannot really shoot.

« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2016, 07:33:30 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I've been on the Brown train all year. I would not be unhappy with him at three.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2016, 07:33:32 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
I'm pretty sure Jaylen was targeted for this conversation, along with a few other players, by Danny Ainge so that there's some key desirable players who all want to be picked by Boston... so that a teams who want any of these players will have to trade up (and trade more).