Author Topic: Brad Stevens tells Jaylen Brown that he would fit perfect in Boston  (Read 21800 times)

Re: Brad Stevens tells Jaylen Brown that he would fit perfect in Boston
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2016, 05:09:26 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Brown is a very athletic player.  He'd fit in defensively at the SF position.  But he can't shoot.  So he's not worth a #3 pick, but if he fell into the 8-10 range then I don't mind us packaging our later 1st round picks to move up and get him.  But in that scenario I'd rather get another big like Deyonta Davis instead.  But if Davis is gone, Brown somewhere in that range would be ok with me.

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2016, 05:14:51 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Yes and the Lakers like Dragan Bender too.

Now let's hope they draft him so we pick up either Simmons or Ingram!  8)

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2016, 05:16:27 PM »

Offline budMovin

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
What is he supposed to tell him: "You are not a good fit here and the city sucks." Stevens is going to sell this team and city to every player that he talks to.
"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
                 -Gladiator

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2016, 05:21:47 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Stevens is a defense-first coach.  He will be biased towards players he believes will be committed to his defensive system.  I could see Stevens benching an elite scorer who doesn't buy into the defense or is unable to execute it.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2016, 05:23:52 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
What is he supposed to tell him: "You are not a good fit here and the city sucks." Stevens is going to sell this team and city to every player that he talks to.

TP

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2016, 09:29:11 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Ainge could take any of Bender, Brown, Dunn, Hield or Murray at number three, and it would be hard to consider any of them a reach.

It comes down to preference at this point.  I know that as fans we often feel the need to take a firm stance for or against. 

Personally, at this point, I wouldn't be surprised--or disappointed--if we ended up with any of the above candidates.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2016, 09:39:50 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
Ainge could take any of Bender, Brown, Dunn, Hield or Murray at number three, and it would be hard to consider any of them a reach.

It comes down to preference at this point.  I know that as fans we often feel the need to take a firm stance for or against. 

Personally, at this point, I wouldn't be surprised--or disappointed--if we ended up with any of the above candidates.

Exactly. I like Bender the most, but I won't be mad if Danny takes someone else. Heck, I won't be mad if Danny trades for Okafor despite the hate he gets because I trust Danny's judgment.

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2016, 09:55:52 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
He'd totally fit in well.  From what I've been told, he's another defensive-minded workhorse who can't shoot worth crap.  He'd fit right in with our other defense-minded workhorses who can't shoot worth crap.  Perhaps Brad was giving him a backhanded compliment.

Maybe we should trade down and get him.

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2016, 10:04:58 PM »

Offline Corey

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 14
I think Brown has as much upside as anyone in the draft.

Great bounce, great nose on the defensive end, relentless slasher to the hoop, murders in transition, NBA ready body/strength, and his shot seems to be much improved already since the NCAA season ended.

I'd love him here.

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2016, 10:48:05 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
He'd totally fit in well.  From what I've been told, he's another defensive-minded workhorse who can't shoot worth crap.  He'd fit right in with our other defense-minded workhorses who can't shoot worth crap.  Perhaps Brad was giving him a backhanded compliment..

Just looking for the next Kawhi Leonard.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2016, 11:00:07 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
His bad Tournament showing may have hurt his stock, not to mention his lack of shooting.

But there's a lot to like about Jaylen Brown. Ultra athletic, willing defender, can get to the rim, and has the size to play small ball 4 and quickness to defend guards.

And he's 19, a lot of room to grow.

I wouldn't mind him at the #3 spot.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2016, 11:30:41 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I don't think Stevens would say something like that just to make them feel good, he probably really meant it. DA would just to grease the wheels of the agent, but Stevens doesn't seem to play head games.

I could see why he'd fit in good. If he could get a jump shot like Crowder, he'd be a very good two way player. In a couple work outs it was said his jump shot looked better than expected. And in videos it doesn't look broken, so there is hope.

Brown/Murry/Heild/Dunn/Bender a the next 3-7 picks. Any of them could be a good player in the league. Heild might be the one who is most NBA ready, Murry has the best shot of being an elite scorer, Bender, who knows, and Brown can be a Smart type wing defender, and if he gets a jump shot could be dangerous.

But I'm more trusting of Stevens scouting of players, and if Stevens said he'd fit in, I'm intrigued. by Brown now.

I disagree.  It's a job interview.  In all but the very very very worst of job interviews, everyone is polite.  You tell the interviewee nice things.  Even if from the workout the Celtics have no intention of drafting Brown, maybe one day he will come over in a trade.  There's no reason to be anything other than complimentary to a 19 year-old in these circumstances.

I'm not saying Stevens wasn't genuine, but it would have been rude of him to say anything different.  Stevens isn't a rude person, so I'm going to take it as a polite cordialness.

There is a difference in being polite and genuinly liking him. Polite would have been, we like what your bring, we like your attitude, we like.... That keeps you in their fav for a possible future but doesn't hurt you if you don't pick them.

Genuine liking him is telling him he fits in here.

Telling him that you like him that much for a POSSIBLE future trade is reaching. And telling him that and not drafting him doesn't look good. Now if Ingram falls to threw, Brown couldn't blame the Celtics for taking him. But he got passed over for Bender, he might be a little upset.

Now if this was coming from DA I get the chess match he would be playing with agents and other GM's, and it would make more sense if there was an other guy he wanted and we were in the 6th+ spot and maybe a GM bites on Brown and DA gets who he wants, but picking 3rd DA doesn't have to many moves to use, and that wouldn't be one of them.

Unless he's trying to get LA to go after Brown so he can pick up Ingram, but thats going to be a tough move.

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2016, 11:46:45 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Why is everybody sure that bendees upside is higher than browns?

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2016, 12:14:43 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
It sounds a lot more like CBS was selling Boston and the Celtics organization than praising Brown.

Bingo

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2016, 12:24:10 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
He'd totally fit in well.  From what I've been told, he's another defensive-minded workhorse who can't shoot worth crap.  He'd fit right in with our other defense-minded workhorses who can't shoot worth crap.  Perhaps Brad was giving him a backhanded compliment.

Maybe we should trade down and get him.

smh. Unfortunately this is true.

Defends. Can't shoot.

That's basically THE definition for any guy coming to Boston. And frankly, I hate it. I want scorers. To be honest, we have enough defenders. And not enough scorers. I think getting a few guys who can actually put the ball in the basket (see: Murray, Hield, even Bender) would help, seeing as how, you know, we don't have anyone else who can do that (except Isaiah). And they'll be fine defensively. I hate this BS about how people want guys who play defense before getting people who can score. At the end of the day, you score more than the opponent to win.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about