Author Topic: Brad Stevens tells Jaylen Brown that he would fit perfect in Boston  (Read 21719 times)

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Regarding his interview with the Celtics at the NBA Combine, Jaylen Brown said, “One of the things they said is I’ll love it there in Boston. It’s the type of area, the type of culture they have there. They said it fits me to a T. Things like that mean a lot to me. Just talking to me and getting a feel for me goes a long way. “Coach [Brad] Stevens is great. He talked about how I would fit. Coach Stevens had a lot of positive things to say. He had a lot of positive things to say about Boston, the traditions of Boston. I know they want to win right away and [they] feel like they can do that.”
58 mins ago – via Boston Globe

So do you think Brad was just being nice, or is there any real shot the cs take him at #3 or trade down for him ?

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
apparently he has been impressive in workouts

Marc J. Spears: Jaylen Brown was in “great shape” & “super explosive” doing “Dame workout” for MIL, TOR & PHI today, shot ball better than expected, source.
– via Twitter MarcJSpearsESPN
Darren Wolfson: #Twolves GM Scott Layden made it to Cal’s campus today to see Jaylen Brown. But no Thibs. Word is Brown was very impressive.
– via Twitter DWolfsonKSTP

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Trading down confirmed/green font

I really wish i knew more about these other lottery guys. Would brown be a good pickup?
I trust Danny Ainge

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
It sounds a lot more like CBS was selling Boston and the Celtics organization than praising Brown.

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Maybe CBS was like "hey, another athletic guard who can't shoot, of course he will fit right in here!!"

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I don't think Stevens would say something like that just to make them feel good, he probably really meant it. DA would just to grease the wheels of the agent, but Stevens doesn't seem to play head games.

I could see why he'd fit in good. If he could get a jump shot like Crowder, he'd be a very good two way player. In a couple work outs it was said his jump shot looked better than expected. And in videos it doesn't look broken, so there is hope.

Brown/Murry/Heild/Dunn/Bender a the next 3-7 picks. Any of them could be a good player in the league. Heild might be the one who is most NBA ready, Murry has the best shot of being an elite scorer, Bender, who knows, and Brown can be a Smart type wing defender, and if he gets a jump shot could be dangerous.

But I'm more trusting of Stevens scouting of players, and if Stevens said he'd fit in, I'm intrigued. by Brown now.   

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I would like him, but just not at #3.

Offline suitednzooted

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
He's definitely the best available after Simmons and Ingram. I've been watching him for awhile and he's got heart and seems dedicated to improving. In HS when Simmons won the national championship, Browns team was the only team to blemish their record that season. His shooting will improve over time. Crowder wasn't necessarily a shooter out of Marquette. With all that said though, the Lakers have surprised me the last few drafts; so I'm hoping that they do something crazy like choose Bender or Labissiere.

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
If you were trading Crowder in a package for a big upgrade Brown would make sense. With Crowder here though I think team goes Bender.

Offline NHCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 179
If you were trading Crowder in a package for a big upgrade Brown would make sense. With Crowder here though I think team goes Bender.

TP for logic I agree with :)

Re: Brad Stevens tells Jaylen Brown that he would fit perfect in Boston
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2016, 10:55:43 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The quote said he would fit in perfect in the city of Boston and its culture. There is little there said about how Brown would fit in the team.

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2016, 10:59:16 AM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
I'm starting to believe that Jaylen Brown might be a good choice at 3... Just has so much potential. Am I crazy for thinking this? I'm serious in asking because I don't follow a ton of college hoops, but everything I'm hearing and reading about Jaylen makes him out to be a super athletic potential two way player lacking a consistent jumper... I get that people don't like the idea of drafting someone with a suspect jumper because of Smart but Brown is far more athletic so could generate offense at the rim. He's also 19 so there's a lot of room for improvement.

Does Brown project to have a MKG like impact or could he be more (obviously MKG is still young as well). MKG was taken #2 which as of right now seems a bit high. Is Brown at 3 a reach then in this draft? I'm honestly curious, I'd love to hear from someone who watched a lot of Brown because he doesn't seem like an awful choice at 3 yet a lot of people here see it that way... What am I missing?

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2016, 11:12:53 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Yes, I suppose in a sense a non shooting wing does fit perfectly on the team that has been at the bottom of the league in three point percentage the last three seasons.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2016, 11:28:13 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Maybe CBS was like "hey, another athletic guard who can't shoot, of course he will fit right in here!!"

TP.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2016, 11:38:27 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I don't think Stevens would say something like that just to make them feel good, he probably really meant it. DA would just to grease the wheels of the agent, but Stevens doesn't seem to play head games.

I could see why he'd fit in good. If he could get a jump shot like Crowder, he'd be a very good two way player. In a couple work outs it was said his jump shot looked better than expected. And in videos it doesn't look broken, so there is hope.

Brown/Murry/Heild/Dunn/Bender a the next 3-7 picks. Any of them could be a good player in the league. Heild might be the one who is most NBA ready, Murry has the best shot of being an elite scorer, Bender, who knows, and Brown can be a Smart type wing defender, and if he gets a jump shot could be dangerous.

But I'm more trusting of Stevens scouting of players, and if Stevens said he'd fit in, I'm intrigued. by Brown now.

I disagree.  It's a job interview.  In all but the very very very worst of job interviews, everyone is polite.  You tell the interviewee nice things.  Even if from the workout the Celtics have no intention of drafting Brown, maybe one day he will come over in a trade.  There's no reason to be anything other than complimentary to a 19 year-old in these circumstances.

I'm not saying Stevens wasn't genuine, but it would have been rude of him to say anything different.  Stevens isn't a rude person, so I'm going to take it as a polite cordialness.