Poll

Who Would you rather draft at 3 and why?

Jaylen Brown
22 (17.1%)
Dragan Bender
65 (50.4%)
Buddy Hield
14 (10.9%)
Kris Dunn
11 (8.5%)
Jamal Murray
17 (13.2%)
Marquese Chriss
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 129

Author Topic: Poll: If we pick at 3, who you taking and why? Brown/Bender/Hield/Dunn/Murray  (Read 19756 times)

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
After all of the uproar on the boards about Brown its funny to revisit this poll.

Would people honestly have been happier if we drafted Bender?

For myself, I was happy with the pick. My first choice was Bender but I've always had Brown just below him.

When the pick was announced I felt deflated but I realised that was largely due to the fact we had been expecting a trade for so long. Not doing a trade was the right decision in the end and when that became clear I was more excited about the pick.

Ultimately I think both Brown and Bender become great players so I'm not overly concerned. It is far better than ending up with Murray so all is good with me! ;D

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Unfortunately we fell on a draft that 3-8 picks could have gone to any of those players, only future will tell.
trust the process!

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Did anyone see the interview with Ainge yesterday where the interviewer (dude from Celtics.com) asked him what other players they were interested in?

I don't know if the names he cited were in order, but the order he listed them in:

Hield
Bender
Dunn
Chriss
Murray
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Re: Poll: If we pick at 3, who you taking and why? Brown/Bender/Hield/Dunn/Murray
« Reply #108 on: November 04, 2016, 01:04:28 PM »

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 86
Really interesting to revisit this post from pre-draft.

Everyone now would have taken Jaylen, we all love the kid and can't wait to see him develop.

Nice job Danny

Re: Poll: If we pick at 3, who you taking and why? Brown/Bender/Hield/Dunn/Murray
« Reply #109 on: November 04, 2016, 01:10:56 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79
The surprise to me is that the draft turned out to be a 4 player draft.

Before the draft it was Ingram or Simmons but I think if you reran the mock drafts now you would see Dunn or Brown getting mentioned as possible top two picks.

« Reply #110 on: November 04, 2016, 02:38:50 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
I have always been a big Brown fan since his senior year in HS. While people wanted Murray and Hield because of their shooting, I thought Brown would be a better fit due to his ability to get to the rim and potential to defend faster players. At the time I thought people were too caught up on his shooting numbers and I felt that if he came here (I dont think he does the same thing somewhere else) that alot of the flaws of his game like forcing the action wouldnt be as big of an issue.

I did waiver to Bender for awhile during the playoffs because I felt they needed a big long term that could defend the perimeter on the PnR, rebound a little and shoot it. Essentially this is what Horford is.

Lastly, I couldnt figure out for those that wanted shooters, where they would play. This team is small on the wing and I couldnt see taking Smart, AB, or Crowder off for a guy like Hield to get time to fire up enough shots to be impactful.

« Reply #111 on: November 04, 2016, 02:51:32 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I wanted Bender, and I still think Bender has the potential to develop into a special player. But it will take Bender until the middle of his second contract to really come into his own. (Even though he will only be 23 then.)

I liked Brown, but I really liked Bender. What I didn't anticipate -- but probably should have -- was that Brown would make an immediate impact and still have the long-term high upside potential. The Celtics were looking to compete now, which is why Brown made a lot of sense for them.

I still think Ingram has the upside of Nic Batum with less passing, but Brown seems to have the upside of a two-way player like Iggy, with a bit more driving ability.

« Reply #112 on: November 04, 2016, 03:16:07 PM »

Offline MrMorrill

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 9
I wanted Bender, and I still think Bender has the potential to develop into a special player. But it will take Bender until the middle of his second contract to really come into his own. (Even though he will only be 23 then.)

I liked Brown, but I really liked Bender. What I didn't anticipate -- but probably should have -- was that Brown would make an immediate impact and still have the long-term high upside potential. The Celtics were looking to compete now, which is why Brown made a lot of sense for them.

I still think Ingram has the upside of Nic Batum with less passing, but Brown seems to have the upside of a two-way player like Iggy, with a bit more driving ability.

I completely agree, I wanted Bender at 3 over anyone for exactly the same reasons you have. TP!

« Reply #113 on: November 05, 2016, 12:33:42 AM »

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 86
I was initially sold on Brown then waivered to Dunn.

Danny must be loving his pick work out so well.

Can you believe Wyc got booed for announcing this pick? pretty shameful

« Reply #114 on: November 05, 2016, 01:07:47 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I think i made a post criticizing the fans pretty bad for that at the time.  The marcus pick was just as bad.  Everyone wanted embiid and was disgusted with the smart pick.  My comment here in this thread is spot on too.  I love boston and some great fans but i've been at games where fans are utterly clueless too. best people in the world in boston too though.

« Reply #115 on: November 05, 2016, 01:11:11 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
I was initially sold on Brown then waivered to Dunn.

Danny must be loving his pick work out so well.

Can you believe Wyc got booed for announcing this pick? pretty shameful

At the same time, the "fireworks" comment was what got people's hopes up. They were mainly booing the no-trade I think
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #116 on: November 05, 2016, 01:17:21 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Who's fault is that though for misinterpretting what Wyc said?  The celtics were trying for fireworks. Jaylen was fireworks to me. I think the celtics go out there and try to make the best move they can. Wyc gets ahead of himself sometimes. The rumor mill and what is actually reported and what goes on.  The celtics were pursuing certain guys and had hopes they could possibly do more themselves. Even Ainge said that.

You try to do too much its a blessing and a curse. But you are going to end up in pretty good position regardless most of the time.

At least the celtics go out there and do legitamently try to make the best moves they possibly can.   It's for the fans too. They might not always agree with the fans but it's for the fans.

Some of the booing sometimes does come off like i di dnt get who i wanted so im going to boo period. They want who they wanted and that's that. That's fine though. That's the fun of sports too. 

A lot of fans are kids.  A lot of fans are parents of kids and just going with what their kids say and dont even follow the sport too much.  Some are full grown kids. Some just don't understand and really are that jerky.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 01:29:57 AM by walker834 »

« Reply #117 on: November 05, 2016, 01:26:46 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Ainge had his Durant shoes on. Even that do people know why he even did that? That may have even been for the fans.  He may have known the chances of getting him were slim.  Who knows what really goes on.  Rumors get reported.  The celtics show interest and pursue things and try to make the best moves they can.

They don't know themselves exactly what is going to transpire every second.

They have a really good eye for what is best though.  I like what Ainge does for the most part.  There are some things he does i dont agree with him but usually pretty minor stuff.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 01:34:30 AM by walker834 »

« Reply #118 on: November 05, 2016, 02:14:51 AM »

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598
I was one of the few people who were excited with Brown after he put up an impressive workout with the Celtics during the combine. An super athletic forward who shot 76/100 in the tryout? Sign me up!