Poll

Who Would you rather draft at 3 and why?

Jaylen Brown
22 (17.1%)
Dragan Bender
65 (50.4%)
Buddy Hield
14 (10.9%)
Kris Dunn
11 (8.5%)
Jamal Murray
17 (13.2%)
Marquese Chriss
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 129

Author Topic: Poll: If we pick at 3, who you taking and why? Brown/Bender/Hield/Dunn/Murray  (Read 19759 times)

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Dunn who plays both sides of the ball as BPA despite crowded backcourt. Could easily be our best guard in a couple of years. Trade Smart or AB.

Bender close behind depending on what Danny sees in him and depending what Danny sees as our time to contention.

Behind these two, Hield over Murray. Think he'll get his shot off easier. Quicker release and better range.

Not interested in Brown,

Agree about Dunn, but honestly how are you going to draft him given his/his agent attitudes?

I don't have a problem with his agent's attitude. I'd be steering Dunn to the best team for him too and he could start right away for any number of teams. Goes to Sixers, Wolves, or Kings and he's running the team day 1.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Needed a none of the above.

Using the pick for for anybody but Ingram and Simmons doesn't feel right .

If all possible I'd want to pkg the pick with other players and assets to bring in a seasoned star or a young big like Noel or Oakfor.

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
I have gone round and round about this since before the lottery but at the end I still say draft Bender.

At the end of the day DA should build for the present with FA and the future with the Draft. With the amount of picks the Cs have this year and in the next few the goal needs to be to come away with a few young foundation pieces. Bender is a question mark due to his age and lack of American exposure as a euro not playing a lot this year but his potential role is important. Looking no further then the current WCF it highlights the importance of versatile big men. Green and ibaka are different style players but their versatility on both sides of the court is impurities to their teams construction. Bender has the potential to bring this to the Cs.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Twitter 5/27

Q: How about fit w/ Kris Dunn and Cs? ...

A: Dunn would be the best pure PG on the Celtics roster Day 1. That’s the appeal to Boston. - @chadfordinsider

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
What do you think the Celtics do with the third pick?

@stevekylerNBA 21h21 hours ago

They are not there yet - depends on who goes 1 & 2 - they like Bender, they like Jaylen Brown.

===

He also says Lakers are a wild card at 2.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Ainge should scout out these guys and take the best player available.   If the best player is Bender than take him, it won't be though.

I could see us drafting Dunn and Trading Smart to Philly.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I chose Bender, based on fact that he seems prototype power forward in future NBA. But also feel Ainge will be able to work out top prospects multiple times to get a good sense of who he likes best. All these guys ( other than Dunn) want to be the third pick. It's an ego thing. Heck all of them want to be top pick but the top two slots are pretty much slotted. So I feel Ainge will get all the necessary Intel to make the right selection.

PS Don't forget--Michael Jordan was the 3rd pick!!

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Kris Dunn. I would not touch Bender with a 10-foot pole.

Then, trade Smart.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
Jaylen Brown because he has even more upside than Bender.
BPA at #3, potential superstar. Lower risk compare to Bender.

Agreed. Looking at the opposition - i.e.LeBron, KD, Ben Simmons, Ingram, Paul George,De Rozan, etc- we need someone like Jaylen to match with those guys.

Murray is another excellent pick. Reminds me of JKidd with far better outside shooting. But we already have a playmaker in IT.

After the two comes Dunn, Hield and Bender, in descending order. I think Murray has better motor and  is a better playmaker than Dunn which could translate to more better overall game for every player on the floor. But their differences are not much.

Hield and Bender don't have much of leadership quality. They are really very talented and skillful but both need an excellent playmaker to thrive.

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Twitter 5/27

Q: How about fit w/ Kris Dunn and Cs? ...

A: Dunn would be the best pure PG on the Celtics roster Day 1. That’s the appeal to Boston. - @chadfordinsider

I like Dunn a lot, but that seems more than a bit hyperbolic.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

Offline wry791

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 4
If there was no way Danny could get value for the #3 pick via trade.

Who would you draft and why?

The consensus 3-8 Picks seem to be:

Bender
Brown
Hield
Dunn
Murray

Who do you want and why?

After looking around the draft boards and studying video, I have fallen in love with Brown. He seems like his ceiling could be a hybrid of Crowder's physicalness with Harden's ability to get to the basket. I see a ton of upside with him.

Bender could be a top prospect but its going to be 3 years and I don't know if we should give away the 3rd pick for such an unknown who isn't playing in Europe or getting consistent mins.

Hield to me seems to have a cieling of JJ Reddick which is a solid 4th option on a good team but is he worth the 3rd pick?

Dunn as well looks and has a game and numbers extremely similar to Wall.

All are options for Danny, who do you pick and why with the 3rd pick assuming we don't move up or move down?

Bender, highest upside. Has all the tools and skills just needs to bulk/strengthen up and get more experience. IMO, much more likely he can bulk up than Brown can increase his basketball IQ.

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Kris Dunn. I would not touch Bender with a 10-foot pole.

Then, trade Smart.

I agree.

Smart, Amir and Hunter works for Ibaka and Roberson.  If the Thunder lose tonight they might beg for that deal for next years WCF re-match.

Dunn, Rozier
IT, Bradley, Roberson
Crowder, Roberson (he's 6'7") or T. Prince/Valentine/Bembry
Ibaka, KO, Mickey
F.A, KO, Damion Jones

Let there be no mistake:  Smart > Roberson by long distance. And he won't interfere with the Thunder offense (not saying Roberson does, just saying Smart is a perfect fit between Durant and Westbrook). This deal would be a gift to Ok. City and I might have to think about asking for more.  Yes Ibaka > Smart today because he's a big, but what about in 2 years? 

example of more:  give OK. city pick 35 and 52.  Take future Ok. City first round pick.

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 86

Bender
Brown
Hield
Dunn
Murray

Who do you want and why?

After looking around the draft boards and studying video, I have fallen in love with Brown. He seems like his ceiling could be a hybrid of Crowder's physicalness with Harden's ability to get to the basket. I see a ton of upside with him.

Bender could be a top prospect but its going to be 3 years and I don't know if we should give away the 3rd pick for such an unknown who isn't playing in Europe or getting consistent mins.

Hield to me seems to have a cieling of JJ Reddick which is a solid 4th option on a good team but is he worth the 3rd pick?

All are options for Danny, who do you pick and why with the 3rd pick assuming we don't move up or move down?

Bender, highest upside. Has all the tools and skills just needs to bulk/strengthen up and get more experience. IMO, much more likely he can bulk up than Brown can increase his basketball IQ.

My worry with Bender is a huge lack of atheltism. He has a 27" vertical which is on par with Sulley. I'm not sure if Prozingis didn't have the season that he did last year that Bender would be so high.

Porzingis is a fantastic athlete and a much better rim protector than Bender. For all we know Bender's ceiling is Ryan Anderson. Is that worth the 3rd pick?

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
Bender.

Bender bender benderbenderbender bender
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421

Bender
Brown
Hield
Dunn
Murray

Who do you want and why?

My worry with Bender is a huge lack of atheltism. He has a 27" vertical which is on par with Sulley. I'm not sure if Prozingis didn't have the season that he did last year that Bender would be so high.

Porzingis is a fantastic athlete and a much better rim protector than Bender. For all we know Bender's ceiling is Ryan Anderson. Is that worth the 3rd pick?

While not an explosive athlete he does move very well laterally for being 7'1. With a solid 7'2 wingspan and 9'3 standing reach bender has center measuents. He will clearly need to gain strength but at 18 and 216 lbs it's easy to assume he gains 25-30lbs as he matures.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet