Poll

Who Would you rather draft at 3 and why?

Jaylen Brown
22 (17.1%)
Dragan Bender
65 (50.4%)
Buddy Hield
14 (10.9%)
Kris Dunn
11 (8.5%)
Jamal Murray
17 (13.2%)
Marquese Chriss
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 129

Author Topic: Poll: If we pick at 3, who you taking and why? Brown/Bender/Hield/Dunn/Murray  (Read 19650 times)

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
If I'm forced to pick at 3, I bite the bullet and draft Hield. Give Bradley and Smart some small ball minutes at SF and Rozier is the odd man out when everyone is 100% healthy. It's a shooters league and the Celtics want to keep sending the message they want to win now. You're drafting the best shooter in the draft, great locker room fit, and willing to play defense. It also lessens the chance we overpay to bring back Turner.

Bender? Don't have two years to wait. That's a project for a 20 win team.
Dunn? Much poorer roster fit needs the ball and poor outside shooter.
Murray? Hard to play him at all alongside IT.
Brown? What does he do that Smart or Crowder don't if the offense isn't there?
Chriss? Too high. Gamble on him late lottery if you like him.

Ideally you find a way to trade back a couple spots for Hield and get another asset to move up from #16, but either way Hield is my guy.

IT/ Hield/ Bradley backcourt could be lethal for stretches. No way to collapse on IT with Bradley and Hield stretching the floor.

IT / Bradley / Smart / Hield / Crowder at 1-3 spots with maybe another longer "3" in the offseason.

Then we go big man shopping to upgrade KO/ Sully/ Amir/ Jerebko
Much too shortsighted perspective.  You don't have two years to wait?  Who cares, you don't pass up a potential star (not saying bender is) because you have to wait.  Dunn or howls dont fit?  Who cares, you lick better players in this league regardless.

Please tell me that this is a typo ;D.

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
If I'm forced to pick at 3, I bite the bullet and draft Hield. Give Bradley and Smart some small ball minutes at SF and Rozier is the odd man out when everyone is 100% healthy. It's a shooters league and the Celtics want to keep sending the message they want to win now. You're drafting the best shooter in the draft, great locker room fit, and willing to play defense. It also lessens the chance we overpay to bring back Turner.

Ideally you find a way to trade back a couple spots for Hield and get another asset to move up from #16, but either way Hield is my guy.

IT/ Hield/ Bradley backcourt could be lethal for stretches. No way to collapse on IT with Bradley and Hield stretching the floor.

IT / Bradley / Smart / Hield / Crowder at 1-3 spots with maybe another longer "3" in the offseason.

Much too shortsighted perspective.  You don't have two years to wait?  Who cares, you don't pass up a potential star (not saying bender is) because you have to wait.  Dunn or howls dont fit?  Who cares, you lick better players in this league regardless.

Easy to say that it's shortsighted just because Hield is more of a "play now" prospect. I think getting an impact outside shooter and scorer now has long-term benefits over the next 3-5 years for the franchise. It gives us even more flexibility to make trades. It makes us better now. It ups out overall talent right away when talking to free agents. Etc.

Bender will take 2 years minimum. Maybe 3. If he was hands down a better prospect then I'd agree with you- but there's hardly a consensus that he's better than any of the other top-8 prospects. If I was convinced Bender was a tier above, I might agree with you. But I'd say they're in the same range even in terms of upside.

Also, keep in mind the context here is "if we keep the pick". I'd love to see us draft & trade Bender as part of something good.

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

Easy to say that it's shortsighted just because Hield is more of a "play now" prospect. I think getting an impact outside shooter and scorer now has long-term benefits over the next 3-5 years for the franchise. It gives us even more flexibility to make trades. It makes us better now. It ups out overall talent right away when talking to free agents. Etc.

Bender will take 2 years minimum. Maybe 3. If he was hands down a better prospect then I'd agree with you- but there's hardly a consensus that he's better than any of the other top-8 prospects. If I was convinced Bender was a tier above, I might agree with you. But I'd say they're in the same range even in terms of upside.

Also, keep in mind the context here is "if we keep the pick". I'd love to see us draft & trade Bender as part of something good.
Well yes, the key is whether bender is hands down the better prospect.  I certainly don't know whether he is or not, but my point is I'm picking the better player (and by that I mean protect) regardless of how long I have to wait.  If they're equal, then of course you take the surer thing in hield (for instance). 

But that the game gm's need to play.  Risk versus reward is part of the deal.

And yes, that was a typo (stupid autocorrect).  I'm not suggesting anyone lick anyone else (unless you're into that kind of thing).

Offline tyrone biggums

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
I like Brown. Great confidence and seems to be the prototypical player who played in a crappy system in college for his skill set. Fills an area of need at the 3. Look, any of these players would be great. This is a pick for the corpse of KG and 1 year of The Truth. You really can't complain about anyone the Celtics pick since they have no business making the playoffs and picking in the top 3.

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
And yes, that was a typo (stupid autocorrect).  I'm not suggesting anyone lick anyone else (unless you're into that kind of thing).

Lol.  Settle down, Joe Lieberman (sarcasm).  I figured as much, but I just had to ask.  Still, trey kinky, autocorrect, trey kinky ;) ;D.

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Everyone keeps saying Bender will take 2-3 years before he has any impact.

I bet it will be half a season at most, then he'll be getting regular minutes...Nobody thought Porzingas would be playing right from the get go.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
I voted Murray because he is young with upside. He is also a above average ballhandler with great shooting ability. I love his hand eye coordination, awareness, and intangibles. He seems like a future all star to me. I personally think he is the safest pick in the draft so I'm going with him.

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
I voted Murray because he is young with upside. He is also a above average ballhandler with great shooting ability. I love his hand eye coordination, awareness, and intangibles. He seems like a future all star to me. I personally think he is the safest pick in the draft so I'm going with him.

Murray does seem to have the "IT Factor"...kind of like D.Russell had last year....Being so much younger than Hield is promising--even though I think both players are gonna be real good.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
There's something about Brown that I like. 

"Brown was rated as a five-star recruit and was ranked by Scout.com as the best recruit in his class.  Rivals.com and ESPN both ranked him second behind Ben Simmons."

"Brown didn't have the season some expected him to at the college level, but has outstanding physical tools and plenty of room to continue to grow as a shooter, ball-handler and perimeter defender. Despite his up and down freshman campaign, there's a strong chance Brown hears his name called somewhere from picks 3 to 8 in the upcoming draft. Given his combination of size and athleticism, his success from that point will largely come down to how quickly his skill level comes around in the environment he's drafted into."
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 86
Interesting that Chriss still has no votes.

He really reminds me of a late uber athletic late riser ala Stromile Swift or Tyrus Thomas.

I would stay away.

Gun to my head i'm still going Jaylen Brown or Dunn and look to trade Avery and Sulley for a front court player

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Love that Chriss has no votes, love that Bender has the overwhelming majority.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I wonder if a team simply asked their fans who to draft and went with the most popular choice, how frequently that would turn out better than if the GM made his own decision trying to be bold or whatever.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I've come around on Brown and decided I would be fine with him at the 3rd pick (although if we could trade back and still get him that would be my preference).

As long as we pick one of Bender, Brown, Murray or Buddy I'll be happy with the pick (although I go back and fourth on Buddy).

It's nice, that we are picking at a spot where it's likely the guys I want will be available. At 16 I'm just hoping someone slips which is the way I usually look at the draft as a Celtics fan.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I've come around on Brown and decided I would be fine with him at the 3rd pick (although if we could trade back and still get him that would be my preference).

As long as we pick one of Bender, Brown, Murray or Buddy I'll be happy with the pick (although I go back and fourth on Buddy).

It's nice, that we are picking at a spot where it's likely the guys I want will be available. At 16 I'm just hoping someone slips which is the way I usually look at the draft as a Celtics fan.

I've come around to be tempted by Brown as well.  It will take patience while he learns, but Brad will give him an easy list of chores and since he's got a big IQ in general I think he'll follow those chores in the right way.  And while the outside shooting thing might take like 3 years...we'll at least have a slasher on the team.  The Celtics under Brad are on their way to good spacing.  I don't think they'll let Brown kill that.  They'll create the space he needs to get to the basket and surround him with some guys who can shoot from outside (eventually).  That's all a case for Brown. 

For the moment my choice would be Murray.  He has big time potential but unlike Dunn is probably not ready for big minutes.  So the Celtics will have a gem that they don't need to rush into the lineup necessitating an overly rushed trade of current guards, etc...  (my guess is the Celts will take Dunn and make a trade, and if it's a good trade then I'll applaud).  So Murray (and an eventual trade a bit down the road) is my pick if there aren't bigger things going on. 

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
I wonder if a team simply asked their fans who to draft and went with the most popular choice, how frequently that would turn out better than if the GM made his own decision trying to be bold or whatever.

Ah, and if each fan can contribute 1 dollar per vote, they could make money as well.
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-