Poll

Who Would you rather draft at 3 and why?

Jaylen Brown
22 (17.1%)
Dragan Bender
65 (50.4%)
Buddy Hield
14 (10.9%)
Kris Dunn
11 (8.5%)
Jamal Murray
17 (13.2%)
Marquese Chriss
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 129

Author Topic: Poll: If we pick at 3, who you taking and why? Brown/Bender/Hield/Dunn/Murray  (Read 19720 times)

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
What do you think the Celtics do with the third pick?

@stevekylerNBA 21h21 hours ago

They are not there yet - depends on who goes 1 & 2 - they like Bender, they like Jaylen Brown.

===

He also says Lakers are a wild card at 2.

That part really scares me. Danny should know better than to take another guy who can't shoot.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
My worry with Bender is a huge lack of atheltism. He has a 27" vertical which is on par with Sulley.

Keep in mind, as with the oft-reported '216 lb' weight, that his 27.5" vertical number comes from a measurement taken a full calendar year ago at Eurocamp 2015, when he was just 17 years old.   He's very visibly put on more weight over the last year and DraftExpress has listed him at 225 for quite some time (I think that is his official weight per Maccabi FOX Tel Aviv's roster guide, which would probably be from last Fall).   

There is a very high probability that his physical numbers (ht, wingspan, wt, verticals), if measured now, would be significantly different than they were a year ago.    And again, if measured a year FROM now.  These kids are still loaded with growth hormone and changing rapidly.

FWIW, DeMarcus Cousins vertical at age 19 was also 27.5".  I wouldn't worry too much about that particular number.
I'm not sure if Prozingis didn't have the season that he did last year that Bender would be so high.
One can also not be sure that if Justice Winslow didn't have the nice season he had, that Jalen Brown would be ranked so high.  Or if Steph Curry had not just rained 3PT bombs on everyone's heads all season, that Hield & Murray would be ranked so high.

FWIW:  Bender has been highly touted on scouting reports and on early 2016 mock draft boards for several seasons now, going back to his age 16 dominance in the U18 Euroleague Tournament, well before Porzingis became the next great NY Knick.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

Offline wry791

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 4
If there was no way Danny could get value for the #3 pick via trade.

Who would you draft and why?

The consensus 3-8 Picks seem to be:

Bender
Brown
Hield
Dunn
Murray

Who do you want and why?

After looking around the draft boards and studying video, I have fallen in love with Brown. He seems like his ceiling could be a hybrid of Crowder's physicalness with Harden's ability to get to the basket. I see a ton of upside with him.

Bender could be a top prospect but its going to be 3 years and I don't know if we should give away the 3rd pick for such an unknown who isn't playing in Europe or getting consistent mins.

Hield to me seems to have a cieling of JJ Reddick which is a solid 4th option on a good team but is he worth the 3rd pick?

Dunn as well looks and has a game and numbers extremely similar to Wall.

All are options for Danny, who do you pick and why with the 3rd pick assuming we don't move up or move down?

Bender, highest upside. Has all the tools and skills just needs to bulk/strengthen up and get more experience. IMO, much more likely he can bulk up than Brown can increase his basketball IQ.

My worry with Bender is a huge lack of atheltism. He has a 27" vertical which is on par with Sulley. I'm not sure if Prozingis didn't have the season that he did last year that Bender would be so high.

Porzingis is a fantastic athlete and a much better rim protector than Bender. For all we know Bender's ceiling is Ryan Anderson. Is that worth the 3rd pick?

Big knock on Jokic was lack of athleticism and he seems to have done ok. Also, while not a high leaper Bender definitely has above average foot speed for someone his size. If his ceiling is Ryan Anderson, than I agree not worth #3. But most scouts believe his ceiling is much higher

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I have seen it spelled Dragon, Dragen, and Dragan on this site.  Isn't it Dragan?  I think we should make an effort to get this right as it is looking more likely he will be a part of our future.

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I have seen it spelled Dragon, Dragen, and Dragan on this site.  Isn't it Dragan?  I think we should make an effort to get this right as it is looking more likely he will be a part of our future.

You are correct; it's Dragan.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Part of me is bummed that we may finally get a Euro, and Tommy will have no trouble at all pronouncing his name.

I guess Furkan Korkmaz and Chinanu Onuako are still possibilities at 16 and 35.

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 86

You are correct; it's Dragan.

Amended

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Not crazy about Bender at all, but we actually can afford to miss on this pick and at this point, he is considered the #3 pick by most in the know. This could all change in workouts and somebody like Brown could shoot up the board because of his measurables, but right now Bender has to be the guy because of his supposed potential and current ranking.

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum
Not crazy about Bender at all, but we actually can afford to miss on this pick and at this point, he is considered the #3 pick by most in the know. This could all change in workouts and somebody like Brown could shoot up the board because of his measurables, but right now Bender has to be the guy because of his supposed potential and current ranking.

Yeah when work outs begin I think Brown and Dunn will shoot up the boards

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40

Problem with Dunn is that him and his agent dont want celtics to pick him
because of logjam at the PG position
Dunn may skip working out with us
which would make the decision to draft him harder on ainge

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum

Problem with Dunn is that him and his agent dont want celtics to pick him
because of logjam at the PG position
Dunn may skip working out with us
which would make the decision to draft him harder on ainge

If we want Dunn we can get him and trade Smart or Bradley, which is probably the right decision if we think that Dunn is going to best natural point guard on the roster in 3 years.

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
Rumor is that Austin Ainge went to see Bender in Israel and they love him..

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I prefer Bender because he has traits that would make him a good fit under Brad Stevens (provided he pans out). He can shoot, he can defend multiple positions, he's a good passer with great length.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum
I prefer Bender because he has traits that would make him a good fit under Brad Stevens (provided he pans out). He can shoot, he can defend multiple positions, he's a good passer with great length.

He definately fills a need, hes crushing it in the poll with over 60% of the votes

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Herald has decent article today about Bender conundrum.