Author Topic: Buddy Hield vs Klay Thompson  (Read 3013 times)

Buddy Hield vs Klay Thompson
« on: May 28, 2016, 10:32:12 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Was watching Thompson and his impact on GSW's success. Obviously he has Curry there for spacing and vice versa, but his shooting is just so important and has kept the Warriors in this game 6 vs the Thunder.

A lot of Hield sceptics are comparing him to Fredette or even McDermott (lol?), so I thought it was interesting to compare Hield to Thompson who was a 3 year player at Washington State.

Thompson has the height advantage at 6'7" in shoes, and Buddy comes in at 6'5" in shoes, not a huge difference.
Their length is about the same. I've seen Hield measured with a 6'10" wingspan and also a 6'9" wingspan. To be safe we'll say 6'9" for both.

Thompson has a 8'7" standing reach and Hield has a 8'5" standing reach at his last measurement.

Both not the greatest athletes, but definitely NBA athlete caliber and both fairly strong guys.

Shooting numbers are very similar too.
Klay's 3rd year averaged 21 pts 5 rebounds 3.7 assists in 35 mins a game.
Buddy's 4th year 25 points 5 rebounds 2 assists in 35 mins a game.

Klay 40% 3pt shooting, 46.6% 2pt fg (43.6% fg overall)
Buddy 45% 3 pt shooting, 55% 2pt fg (50% fg overall).
Note: in Buddy's 3rd year he had the same FG% as Thompson at 46.9%
Both average about 3 turnovers a game (Buddy was much less in his 3rd year but when they both are the leaders on offense in their final years it's expected that their TO's increase).

Anyway, thought it was an interesting comparison because both guys came into their draft as highly touted shooters that needed a bit more work on their dribble/drive games.
Both cold blooded shooters with length and strength....

Thoughts?
Seem like very similar players to me.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Re: Buddy Hield vs Klay Thompson
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 11:59:37 PM »

Offline PaulP34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
I love Buddy Held but Danny is not picking him at #3. My advise to Danny, stay away from trading with Philly unless its for the #1 pick. Danny has a heart on for Bender so that's who's getting crafted.

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 11:59:48 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
Klay is probably the closest thing to Ray Allen in the nba right now.  Hield has a chance to be up there.  I agree though he is more like Klay than Curry.

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 12:03:10 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Hield is undersized in general and his own player.  I think Ainge should draft Bender myself.  I'd draft him for him if all checks out.  Hield is a nice consolation but I don't see us taking him unless Ainge just sees something in Bender he doesn't like.

Bender is potentially a franchise player.  There is no other player at 3 who is that.  Hield, Brown, Murray are not that.

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 12:05:44 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
not a good day for this thread.

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 12:53:01 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Personally, I think Murray reminds me more of Klay. They are both great shooters, they aren't known for being overly athletic (although both of them DO get to the rim and finish with finesse and athleticism more than they're given credit for). Klay is the better defender, but Murray has more PG instincts.

Does anyone else see this comparison?
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 01:14:13 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Well, these guys are in the same mold, and Klay is probably the best-case scenario for Buddy. However, I think Klay is slightly better at everything than Buddy will ever be, which will add up to Buddy<<<<Klay.

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 01:24:13 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Well, these guys are in the same mold, and Klay is probably the best-case scenario for Buddy. However, I think Klay is slightly better at everything than Buddy will ever be, which will add up to Buddy<<<<Klay.

Klay is 6'7.  Ray Allen was also 6'6.  Curry is shorter but he's also a pg playing against smaller people and can get his shot off because he handles the ball.  Makes me wonder if Hield will have some issues with that. He seems to get his shot off just fine in college though.  But those shots Klay was making a lot of them were open but some of them were over the top of defenders.

That one shot he had from the top of the key he was able to get his shot off because of his height.

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2016, 01:35:42 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
I love Buddy Held but Danny is not picking him at #3. My advise to Danny, stay away from trading with Philly unless its for the #1 pick. Danny has a heart on for Bender so that's who's getting crafted.
Where did you read that information?

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2016, 01:42:07 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Hield is undersized in general and his own player.  I think Ainge should draft Bender myself.  I'd draft him for him if all checks out.  Hield is a nice consolation but I don't see us taking him unless Ainge just sees something in Bender he doesn't like.

Bender is potentially a franchise player.  There is no other player at 3 who is that.  Hield, Brown, Murray are not that.

6'5" is a standard size for SG position.

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2016, 02:07:47 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
I thought he was 6'4".  Yeah that's pretty standard.  just was looking at the top ones in nba history and there definately is a trend where the best ones are bigger than that though outside of a few guys.  But as it trends up towards the top and guys like Allen, Jordan, Dwade, Gervin etc they are usually taller.  AI was short though.  A lot of those guys weren't primarily shooters either.

Hield is his own player. I don't think we can put him up there with Klay yet.

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2016, 02:24:13 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
I thought he was 6'4".  Yeah that's pretty standard.  just was looking at the top ones in nba history and there definately is a trend where the best ones are bigger than that though outside of a few guys.  But as it trends up towards the top and guys like Allen, Jordan, Dwade, Gervin etc they are usually taller.  AI was short though.  A lot of those guys weren't primarily shooters either.

Hield is his own player. I don't think we can put him up there with Klay yet.

Yeah Hield is 6'4" without shoes. Klay is 6'6" without shoes and wingspan is the same or a slight edge to Buddy at 6'9.25" (according to DX).
Hield is actually slightly taller than Dwayne Wade who is 6'4.5" in shoes

My comparison is just looking at their numbers/efficiency out of college, as 3rd/4th year players and I think that at least on a college level, that they are very similar players. Both under rated defenders with lights out shooting. Both solid in transition and the pick and roll.
Klay obviously added more driving to his game in his first few years which is what Buddy is doing now.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2016, 04:26:32 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
not a good day for this thread.

lol I made this thread in the 2nd quarter of this game...but yeah. lol.

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2016, 05:08:58 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I am keeping my expectations lower for Hield. A bigger slightly better JJ Redick is what I am shooting for with Hield. I do think it is possible Hield becomes more than that but since he is a senior and overly reliant on jump-shooting, I have a tough time expecting more.

I would say that Hield reminds me more of Bradley Beal than Klay Thompson. That size advantage and defensive advantage that Klay has over Hield are big.

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2016, 06:01:30 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
I am keeping my expectations lower for Hield. A bigger slightly better JJ Redick is what I am shooting for with Hield. I do think it is possible Hield becomes more than that but since he is a senior and overly reliant on jump-shooting, I have a tough time expecting more.

I would say that Hield reminds me more of Bradley Beal than Klay Thompson. That size advantage and defensive advantage that Klay has over Hield are big.

Thompson was considered a poorer defender in college than Hield is considered now. It was his lack of athleticism and poor defense that were the biggest question marks on him coming into the draft. As for size, there doesn't appear to be much difference. Buddy Hield's physical stength is one of his key attributes-although being older than the other guys on the floor helps.

He is currently 9 pounds heavier than Thompson is as an NBA player.