Author Topic: Pelicans guard Bryce Dejean Jones Shot and Killed  (Read 12179 times)

Re: Pelicans guard Bryce Dejean Jones Shot and Killed
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2016, 05:53:23 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
This is ridiculous. So because he broke down a door it's ok he died? It's an arrestable offence but not one provoking a murder. It's an unnecessary loss of human life, period.

I can understand that the man would have felt threatened but letting a nervous man hold a lethal weapon is asking for a bad situation imo.

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2016, 06:05:16 AM »

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 86
Wouldn't have happened if they didn't live in a gun culture.. I'm never gonna be able to understand that.

I don't blame gun culture for this one. If you kick down somebody's front door and bedroom door at 3am, there are likely to be bad consequences in any culture.  This seems like nothing other than legitimate home protection.

Killing someone for breaking down a door is legitimate home protection?

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2016, 07:44:07 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
This is ridiculous. So because he broke down a door it's ok he died? It's an arrestable offence but not one provoking a murder. It's an unnecessary loss of human life, period.

I can understand that the man would have felt threatened but letting a nervous man hold a lethal weapon is asking for a bad situation imo.

You do not know what a person is going to do when they kick in a door.   More likely than not it is not to give you a hug.  Is that how you say hello, where, your from?

Look at what we know.   He got into argument with an ex-girlfriend over custody.   He broke down a door when he was trying to resolve this matter.  Couldn't he have knocked?  Talked through the door?   But he kicked it in.   

My son told he was not on the proper floor and kicked on some stranger's door.  It appears this may be true.

http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/2016/05/nba-player-bryce-dejean-jones-dies-in-dallas-county-at-age-23.html/

It's an unnecessary loss of human life, period.

The thing is, you have but seconds to react in a combat situation.  In an apartment of that size less than seconds.   If you do not act, it could be your life lost.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tueller_Drill

http://www.policemag.com/channel/weapons/articles/2014/09/revisiting-the-21-foot-rule.aspx

That being said, the whole thing is still a shame.   But I do not blame the guy for reacting to what he thought he was dangerous situation.  Jones might have attacked him thinking he was the boyfriend of his ex.   Where I live people do not kick down doors to say hello.

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2016, 08:12:49 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

I would have shot him. If you want to risk and find out what happens that is fine but don't criticize someone for fearing for their life and defending their home. ::)

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2016, 08:46:30 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell

I would have shot him. If you want to risk and find out what happens that is fine but don't criticize someone for fearing for their life and defending their home. ::)

Every country is entitled to their beliefs sure. Some are more civil than others. Just to me a human life is worth something and that means it should not be taken lightly.

I guess here breaking into a house here means a bad situation but it's unlikely to be death. Highly unlikely. The fear of a gun promotes fear of more guns which leads back to my original point. Gun culture.

I just think it's sad. Other cultures have proved it's unnecessary. If you can live with taking a life that you didn't need to... well...

You do not know what a person is going to do when they kick in a door.   More likely than not it is not to give you a hug.  Is that how you say hello, where, your from?

Look at what we know.   He got into argument with an ex-girlfriend over custody.   He broke down a door when he was trying to resolve this matter.  Couldn't he have knocked?  Talked through the door?   But he kicked it in.   

My son told he was not on the proper floor and kicked on some stranger's door.  It appears this may be true.

http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/2016/05/nba-player-bryce-dejean-jones-dies-in-dallas-county-at-age-23.html/

It's an unnecessary loss of human life, period.

The thing is, you have but seconds to react in a combat situation.
  In an apartment of that size less than seconds.   If you do not act, it could be your life lost.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tueller_Drill

http://www.policemag.com/channel/weapons/articles/2014/09/revisiting-the-21-foot-rule.aspx

That being said, the whole thing is still a shame.   But I do not blame the guy for reacting to what he thought he was dangerous situation.  Jones might have attacked him thinking he was the boyfriend of his ex.   Where I live people do not kick down doors to say hello.

A combat situation? A bit extreme. As I said above maybe fear breads fear here. I just can't comprehend a society where killing a man with such ease is accepted as alright

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2016, 09:14:32 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

Every country is entitled to their beliefs sure. Some are more civil than others. Just to me a human life is worth something and that means it should not be taken lightly.

I guess here breaking into a house here means a bad situation but it's unlikely to be death. Highly unlikely. The fear of a gun promotes fear of more guns which leads back to my original point. Gun culture.

I own guns and are trying to sell them and understand your point about a gun culture. While part of me says life is precious the other side says we have over 7 billion people on the planet and that is WAY to many.

I've seen some bad things in my life and know many that have done bad things. So a stranger kicks in your door in the middle of the night that usually turns out very bad for people, You can't wait to see if he's going to kill you. By than it may be to late.

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2016, 09:30:36 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Wouldn't have happened if they didn't live in a gun culture.. I'm never gonna be able to understand that.

I don't blame gun culture for this one. If you kick down somebody's front door and bedroom door at 3am, there are likely to be bad consequences in any culture.  This seems like nothing other than legitimate home protection.

Killing someone for breaking down a door is legitimate home protection?

Yes. It's not like the shooter knew the circumstances. If somebody kicks down two doors in a residence at 3am, they are risking whatever consequences come to them.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2016, 09:46:47 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

At 3am when somebody breaks down your door you probably don't really get a chance to explain to the guy that this is an arrestable offense so please just sit right here and wait for someone to arrive to arrest you.

This isn't murder on any level. Self defense of home and person isn't murder.  The man wasn't nervous till someone kicked down his door at 3am.   When people are trying to kick down your door at 3am it's not to say hello or just look around. 

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2016, 10:36:44 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
A combat situation? A bit extreme. As I said above maybe fear breads fear here. I just can't comprehend a society where killing a man with such ease is accepted as alright

I am a combat veteran.   Anytime another person, is trying to harm you it is potentially a combat situation.   You claim, I am full of fear, I volunteered for a war.   Your beyond naive, do you think he was kicking in the door to bring her flowers?   I hope you never get close a crisis situation because, your likely toast.  Let me put in terms you might understand.  There are sheep and their are wolves,  your a sheep, I am a dog who protects sheep like you from wolves.

can't comprehend

That is pretty obvious.  People do not kick in doors at 3 am to be your friend.   Try talking, and face it guys who kick down doors are not in a talking mood, and you might end up dead.

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2016, 10:50:45 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I'm not pro guns. I'd prefer if they weren't part of our culture. But the reality is we live in a very violent country.  What if this situation involves a woman living alone (just yesterday I met a woman who was almost murdered during a home invasion).  A woman in that situation has a right to have a gun and shoot it.  Unless they're going to start handing out free high tech stun guns guaranteed to stop intruders.

(not saying a man doesn't have the same right, but women living alone are particularly vulnerable).

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2016, 11:17:41 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I do think we live in a gung Ho gun society these days but I don't see the fault in a guy protecting his house in fear of a home invasion at 3am in the morning. Someone kicking in your door in the middle of the night is among your worst fears. Protecting yourself and/or family should be your number one priority.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2016, 11:58:59 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
This one of those cases where people start talking past each other and get stuck on the minutia of semantics. The poster that says gun culture explains this is right, the posters who say the home owner had a legitimate right to shoot the intruder are also right.

The reason the home owner had a gun is because of a culture of guns where he knows that there are dangerous people out there who can break into your home and do you harm with guns. Therefore this culture gives him  legitimate reason and right to get a gun to protect his home. Because of our gun culture he had the reason to believe that the person that was breaking down door after door to get to him probably had a gun, so he responded based on the culture in which he finds himself.

If this was a gun-less culture where people resolved issues without guns, the home owner would not have the need for a gun because he would not be in fear of intruders with guns. Maybe he would have lost a fist fight or got killed by a lamp slammed on his head. Someone would probably have got hurt from this incident. Nothing good happens when an intruder breaks down two doors to get to you.

I really do not see how you can blame the guy who shot in defense of his castle. If you cannot be safe in your own home, where can you be safe. The response here was proportional to the realities of our gun culture.

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2016, 12:02:03 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell

I am a combat veteran.   Anytime another person, is trying to harm you it is potentially a combat situation.   You claim, I am full of fear, I volunteered for a war.   Your beyond naive, do you think he was kicking in the door to bring her flowers?   I hope you never get close a crisis situation because, your likely toast.  Let me put in terms you might understand.  There are sheep and their are wolves,  your a sheep, I am a dog who protects sheep like you from wolves.

can't comprehend

That is pretty obvious.  People do not kick in doors at 3 am to be your friend.   Try talking, and face it guys who kick down doors are not in a talking mood, and you might end up dead.

You forgot the last part of that sentence. In America

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2016, 12:29:04 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
But the reality is we live in a very violent country.

The perception is that we live in a very violent country. 

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2016, 12:30:57 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

can't comprehend

You forgot the last part of that sentence. In America

Name the countries of the world where people go around breaking down other people's doors at 3 am in the morning without getting someone getting seriously hurt.