Author Topic: If we keep the third pick - Jaylen Brown is a good choice  (Read 8799 times)

Re: If we keep the third pick - Jaylen Brown is a good choice
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2016, 09:53:43 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Everything I hear or read says the kid can't shoot and they don't think he will be able to bull his way to the basket in the NBA.

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2016, 09:54:37 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
He doesn't seem to know how to play basketball yet.  At least Bender is 7 feet and can shoot 3s.  I don't get how everyone isn't 100% on the Murray train by now.  It seems so obvious to me.

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2016, 09:57:29 PM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
He doesn't seem to know how to play basketball yet.  At least Bender is 7 feet and can shoot 3s.  I don't get how everyone isn't 100% on the Murray train by now.  It seems so obvious to me.

I am on the Bender or Murray train. I think there is a decent chance that they are the two best players from this draft in 5 years.

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2016, 10:06:36 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
He has some nice "iso" moves, step backs.  He shoots it with confidence. 

Jayden Brown iso/stepbacks are exactly what this team needs. Trading down to grab him? Sure, I'm okay with that. Taking him at #3 is the classic Triboy reach, however (see Buddy at #1, Sabonis at #3, Skal at #3, etc.)

If you want a player to go iso and take step backs for you, that player is NOT Jaylen Brown. If we're drafting Brown, it's for his transition offense and his (potentially) good defense.

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2016, 10:11:30 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145

I don't think there's anything obvious about drafting. What seems obvious now will seem idiotic five years from now.

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2016, 11:13:25 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Marc J. Spears
‏@MarcJSpearsESPN

Jaylen Brown was in "great shape" & "super explosive" doing "Dame workout" for MIL, TOR & PHI today, shot ball better than expected, source.

Nice to hear. I have no doubt in my mind both danny and cbs will be impressed when he comes in for a workout soon.  Maybe after a few private show dunks,  they might just jump off their chairs like , we didn't see anyone from our team able to do that last season

His shooting touch is workable.  Demar on the other hand has a "broken" shot he has forced to work.  Watch the way he throws FTs.  He also can't shoot the 3

Brown is also a willing and capable rebounder the way he can reach at the highest point and grab rebounds.  He is an active defender

you know last season part of the issue was he was either too dominant or too team oriented.  Passive and passed up the ball when he should of taken over.   i think under CBS and the rest of the guys like IT encouraging him to do his thing, he will be a weapon.   

Just imagine you got IT driving in.  Defense collapse to try to prevent the drive. He passes it off to a free (or not as tightly guarded brown)  -see you later. 

He is young and already strong (natural strength).  Imagine what a pro workout program will do for him.   

I'm good with Brown, Sabonis , draft and stash Zizic/Luwawu and grab a solid D plus sure 3 pt shooter like Brogdon , Gbinije or McCaw .

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2016, 11:51:01 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Brown really fits the type of player Ainge has targeted in the past. Good strength, athleticism, can guard multiple position and the potential to become a secondary ball handler.

This quote makes me think he would fit well with Stevens but might not be a good fit with every NBA coach
Because he is so smart, it might be intimidating to some teams. He wants to know why you are doing something instead of just doing it. I don’t think it’s bad, but it’s a form of questioning authority.

He has high upside but his lack of a jump shot makes me nervous. I could see him being the best player in the draft  and I could see him being a Jeff Green type who tantalizes with athleticism but often fades into the background.

He's only 19 so he has the potential to improve as a shooter, but I really don't want to draft another player who I have to hope improves his shooting.

I really don't see a huge difference between Bender, Murray, and Brown (I could also be talked into adding Dunn and Buddy into that group). Since I'd be happy with all 3 guys I wouldn't be opposed to the C's trading back to get an extra asset.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 12:17:43 AM by Evantime34 »
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2016, 11:58:37 PM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
Brown at pick 6 would be a good choice. I don't think you can pick this kid at 3. Seems raw and has a ways to go. Not going to be able to bully his way to the hoop like he did in college.

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2016, 02:52:27 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Brown really fits the type of player Ainge has targeted in the past. Good strength, athleticism, can guard multiple position and the potential to become a secondary ball handler.

This quote makes me think he would fit well with Stevens but might not be a good fit with every NBA coach
Because he is so smart, it might be intimidating to some teams. He wants to know why you are doing something instead of just doing it. I don’t think it’s bad, but it’s a form of questioning authority.

He has high upside but his lack of a jump shot makes me nervous. I could see him being the best player in the draft  and I could see him being a Jeff Green type who tantalizes with athleticism but often fades into the background.

He's only 19 so he has the potential to improve as a shooter, but I really don't want to draft another player who I have to hope improves his shooting.

I really don't see a huge difference between Bender, Murray, and Brown (I could also be talked into adding Dunn and Buddy into that group). Since I'd be happy with all 3 guys I wouldn't be opposed to the C's trading back to get an extra asset.

Tp Evan. Which is why I'm advocating Murray. Hes already an awesome shooter, he's 19, potential to be a Star. Point guard potential, and If so he's a big strong point guard and we have Smart and Bradley to guard the point for him.

He's a veteran 19 year old too. Really Smooth player. Knock down shooter, very good handles, nice pick and roll game. 39" vertical strong body for his age. Can't miss with him IMHO.

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2016, 03:00:30 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Tp Evan. Which is why I'm advocating Murray. Hes already an awesome shooter, he's 19, potential to be a Star. Point guard potential, and If so he's a big strong point guard and we have Smart and Bradley to guard the point for him.

He's a veteran 19 year old too. Really Smooth player. Knock down shooter, very good handles, nice pick and roll game. 39" vertical strong body for his age. Can't miss with him IMHO.

I like Murray. But creating shots is not his strong suit. As well questions marks  about his D at the next level. 

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2016, 04:59:54 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

He creates shots better than Hield and Brown.

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2016, 06:40:32 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

He creates shots better than Hield and Brown.

Which doesn't help when those shots don't go in.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2016, 08:09:19 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

He's targeted that type of player with non lottery picks, he's never had the third pick. I would assume he would go with a more sure thing or if your going to gamble than at this point you take Bender.

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2016, 05:14:54 PM »

Offline budMovin

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
If you want athletic and extremely raw, why not Chriss. A rim protector with an outside shot. Would be a perfect fit. Note: I would not take either Brown or Chriss at 3, but he would make more sense. I'd much rather have either Murray or Bender (Only because he seems to have the most value).

Brown is just an all around terrible fit here. He is a slasher. We do not have the shooting to open the lane up for him.
"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
                 -Gladiator

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2016, 06:32:01 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Regarding his interview with the Celtics at the NBA Combine, Brown said, “One of the things they said is I’ll love it there in Boston. It’s the type of area, the type of culture they have there. They said it fits me to a T. Things like that mean a lot to me. Just talking to me and getting a feel for me goes a long way.

“Coach [Brad] Stevens is great. He talked about how I would fit. Coach Stevens had a lot of positive things to say. He had a lot of positive things to say about Boston, the traditions of Boston. I know they want to win right away and [they] feel like they can do that.