Author Topic: If we keep the third pick - Jaylen Brown is a good choice  (Read 8834 times)

If we keep the third pick - Jaylen Brown is a good choice
« on: May 28, 2016, 03:43:40 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Check out this clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDS2mSLuMxI

Elite explosiveness. Those drive in to explosive dunks remind me of the way Russell Westbrook does it.   Similar body and style of play of Demar Derozan.

He has some nice "iso" moves, step backs.  He shoots it with confidence.  Yes he has things to iron out but how many players are perfect in year 1 in college?  Brown has lots of good things going on.   Again that elite explosiveness , excellent length, physical strength can't be taught. 

He will be brought in soon for an Individual workout

Re: If we keep the third pick - Jaylen Brown is a good choice
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 03:49:24 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666
Check out this clip

Elite explosiveness. Those drive in to explosive dunks remind me of the way Russell Westbrook does it.   Similar body and style of play of Demar Derozan.

He has some nice "iso" moves, step backs.  He shoots it with confidence.  Yes he has things to iron out but how many players are perfect in year 1 in college?  Brown has lots of good things going on.   Again that elite explosiveness , excellent length, physical strength can't be taught. 

I say this as a fan of what Jaylen Brown brings to the court...

If you want our guards to have open driving lanes into the paint, you do not draft him.  He needs to go to a team that can already space the floor with good shooters.  We cannot.  We're a bad fit for him and he's a bad fit for us.

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 03:55:06 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
I think you mean, if we Trade down to the 6th or 7th pick.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 04:18:22 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
He has some nice "iso" moves, step backs.  He shoots it with confidence. 

Jayden Brown iso/stepbacks are exactly what this team needs. Trading down to grab him? Sure, I'm okay with that. Taking him at #3 is the classic Triboy reach, however (see Buddy at #1, Sabonis at #3, Skal at #3, etc.)

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 04:36:36 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
He has some nice "iso" moves, step backs.  He shoots it with confidence. 

Jayden Brown iso/stepbacks are exactly what this team needs. Trading down to grab him? Sure, I'm okay with that. Taking him at #3 is the classic Triboy reach, however (see Buddy at #1, Sabonis at #3, Skal at #3, etc.)

The way you try twist things is...... I will leave it at that

and btw Brown at #3 possibility is more plausible than your - Poeltl is a top 7 prospect nonsense

Lastly, maybe after the 5th time I repeat this you will get it.  There is no consensus #3 or #5 up to 8 or 9 in this draft.   

« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 04:41:56 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 04:41:26 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Check out this clip

If you want our guards to have open driving lanes into the paint, you do not draft him.  He needs to go to a team that can already space the floor with good shooters.  We cannot.  We're a bad fit for him and he's a bad fit for us.

we also need a starting calibre SF (as much as I like Crowder). 

AB, KO, IT can all help spread the floor. Jerebko is another.  Hopefully Smart keeps improving his shooting

remember vs Hawks, IT was the ONLY guy driving in.  Pretty much the only guy the Hawks needed to worry about getting to the paint

We need another guy that is able to do this.  Brown fits the bill

Also another guy that can execute the "iso"

As much as i like Jamal Murray, he can't create his own shots very well.  You can't play hot potato around the perimeter all the day
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 04:46:41 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 04:48:03 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
I'm not a big fan of Brown at 3, but I understand the rationale: Given his athleticism, his upside is as high, if not higher, than just about anyone else in this draft. What are the chances of his hitting that potential? No clue. Probably not particularly high but, if somebody were trying to find the guy with the most upside and didn't care about the downside, Brown's your man.

Mike

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2016, 04:52:46 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I'm not a big fan of Brown at 3, but I understand the rationale: Given his athleticism, his upside is as high, if not higher, than just about anyone else in this draft. What are the chances of his hitting that potential? No clue. Probably not particularly high but, if somebody were trying to find the guy with the most upside and didn't care about the downside, Brown's your man.

Mike

I really like Brown but not sure his upside is that high.  Upside is more a Derozan or Jason Richardson type.  Floor is a Dee Brown player,  without the outside shot and more a slasher.   I think he'll be good. He's too athletic not to be.  He isn't a franchise player though like a Jordan or Bird though.  I do think he is probably the most talented guy at 3 not named Bender.

Right now he's mainly a dunk machine and slasher and has somewhat of a pull up game.  He has to develop. Really solid upside plus defensive potential.   Physical player who has a knack for certain things defensively and likes to take it to the rim..   He has a knack for slithering his way to steals and driving the lane.

I think as far as upside he is better than Hield, but less of a shooter.  Comparable prospects though as far as where they should be drafted.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 04:58:02 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2016, 04:57:58 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
There’s another post that talks about an analytical break down of the top draft prospects.  It refers to this article.

http://nyloncalculus.com/2016/05/23/who-should-the-celtics-take-with-the-third-pick-in-the-2016-nba-draft/

Of particular interest to this post is the following:

In the Do Not Want group is anyone scoring under a 4 in the PAWS model, which indicates a roll player or less.

Jaylen Brown leads the Do Not Want list, his overall play all year indicated less than a starter performance at the college level. In my training model not a single player went from this level of play in their draft year to become a star in the NBA.

I was a big fan of browns when I watched his HS mix tapes, but when I watched him play full games in college I started to see him more of a Justice Winslow or Stanly Johnson type of player.  And those type of players seem to be available every draft in the mid to late lottery range. 

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2016, 05:00:20 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
The issue with analytics like that though is players can get better and don't necessarily measure talent at the NBA level.  Jeff Green was a physically talented player who probably fit analytics in college and never developed past that.  Brown has room to grow.  Can't measure a players heart and untapped potential is a motivator.

The guy loves to take it to the rim.  That's a quality that you look for.  He wasn't really able to do that so much in college.

He is no sure thing but he's not Marcus Banks here.  He's much more a sure thing than that.

Marcus banks was undersized and couldn't shoot.  Brown has an NBA body. He isn't Kedrick Brown either.  Brown was coming from JUCO was terrified by the nba and the state of the celtics at the time didn't help him any.  Jaylen has an NBA mindset.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 05:10:55 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2016, 05:05:59 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Check out this clip

AB, KO, IT can all help spread the floor. Jerebko is another.  Hopefully Smart keeps improving his shooting

remember vs Hawks, IT was the ONLY guy driving in.  Pretty much the only guy the Hawks needed to worry about getting to the paint

As much as i like Jamal Murray, he can't create his own shots very well.  You can't play hot potato around the perimeter all the day

If you think that Jaylen Brown will be nearly as good as Jae Crowder at some point within the next 3 years, then you are going to be very disappointing.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2016, 05:26:46 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
I think you mean, if we Trade down to the 6th or 7th pick.

+1

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2016, 05:37:02 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
No. KS-kant shute

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2016, 07:15:55 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Check out this clip

If you think that Jaylen Brown will be nearly as good as Jae Crowder at some point within the next 3 years, then you are going to be very disappointing.

Nobody said brown will make a big impact right away. How long did it take crowder to get to where he is at??

Brown has a higher upside no doubt
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 07:21:41 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2016, 09:31:54 PM »

Offline Ainge4Prez

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 3

Marc J. Spears
‏@MarcJSpearsESPN

Jaylen Brown was in "great shape" & "super explosive" doing "Dame workout" for MIL, TOR & PHI today, shot ball better than expected, source.