Author Topic: Any attractive salary dumps out there? 2016 Rebuild Backup Plan  (Read 751 times)

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
Looking at the landscape, the Free Agents of worth will largely be overpriced and its not in DA's DNA to overpay players... so we could very well come out of this Free agency period without a marquee player and if that happens I can already see this board erupting.

In light of that reality however, what do you think of us using our cap space for salary dumps to help teams over the limit. The specific option that came to mind was taking Chris Bosh's salary if Miami included Justise Winslow. Miami is hamstrung cap-wise and never really had a culture that embraced rookies. They can't even sign back Whiteside if they wanted to and given Bosh's injury history that's a lot of cap space to tie up in uncertainty for a contender.

Are there any other salary dumps out there that we could benefit from?

Re: Any attractive salary dumps out there? 2016 Rebuild Backup Plan
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 12:48:37 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Wait a second. Wouldn't that amount to something like paying 20 or 40 million for Justice? 

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 12:53:32 PM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
Wait a second. Wouldn't that amount to something like paying 20 or 40 million for Justice?

Hmmm possibly, if Bosh doesn't play a single game. But if he does then its a robbery cuz in my opinion he's better than Horford. I think he still has three years at around $25m per.

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 12:54:36 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Wow. I don't think I want to pay 75mill for a guy that may never play again without putting his life at risk

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 12:57:35 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

If you believe that Bosh is never going to play again, you'd pay $26 million (Bosh and Justise's combined salary) this season, and then he'd be off the salary cap books for the rest of the contract, meaning you'd still get two years of Justise's rookie deal without any extra salary baggage.

I don't see such a deal happening, but I'd take that deal in a second.  (Because if Bosh doesn't come off the books, that means he's healthy enough to play, so there's no downside there.)

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 01:04:22 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
No

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 01:25:18 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Wow. I don't think I want to pay 75mill for a guy that may never play again without putting his life at risk

If he's putting his life at risk, he won't play.  If he doesn't play, he'll only be on the salary cap for only one season, and his salary for all the years would be covered by insurance.

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2016, 01:32:57 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Why in the world would the Celtics even entertain a plan like this?

We are trying to win, not become a compost heap for the rest of the league.

SMH
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."