Author Topic: 76ers future and why we are so eager..  (Read 3440 times)

76ers future and why we are so eager..
« on: May 28, 2016, 12:43:58 PM »

Offline greenrunsdeep41

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 152
So, for the last few weeks it has been all Okafor-Bender talk around the watering hole. Which, admittedly, is driving me insane. But, I get it. The Bender debate is an important one, I'm on the Bender train but I'm a huge fan of a few different options. The one I can't stand is the idea of helping our devisional opponent and rival become a league power for the next decade- What is going on in everyone's head?

Trade them another top 3 pick for Okafor? Is he really that good that we want to help them get even better? I mean, I get it, we need some more talent. But at what cost? Please, I do not want to be looking up to mopey Ben Simmons and the 6ers thinking what if. If we trade our pick, let's send it out west and make philly earn it as much as they can after being so bad for the last 4 years. No to Okafor, and as much as I want him no to Noel. Not because they aren't good and wouldn't help- no because competition and winning and the future.
2019 Historical Draft - Golden State

C - Bill Russell/Joel Embiid
PF - Giannis Antetokounmpo/Tommy Heinsohn
SF - Kevin Durant/Billy Cunningham
SG - Bruce Bowen/David Thompson
PG - Isiah Thomas/James Harden

Re: 76ers future and why we are so eager..
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 12:50:15 PM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
Lol... interesting angle. I never looked at it like that before.

Personally I don't have a problem making a trade with a division rival, but given our needs I think they are better addressed through this draft... with scorers that fit our system like Hield, Bender or Murray and high upside defensive prospects like Deyonta Davis.

So I'm kool with helping a division rival, just not in this given scenario

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 01:06:12 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
So, for the last few weeks it has been all Okafor-Bender talk around the watering hole. Which, admittedly, is driving me insane. But, I get it. The Bender debate is an important one, I'm on the Bender train but I'm a huge fan of a few different options. The one I can't stand is the idea of helping our devisional opponent and rival become a league power for the next decade- What is going on in everyone's head?

Trade them another top 3 pick for Okafor? Is he really that good that we want to help them get even better? I mean, I get it, we need some more talent. But at what cost? Please, I do not want to be looking up to mopey Ben Simmons and the 6ers thinking what if. If we trade our pick, let's send it out west and make philly earn it as much as they can after being so bad for the last 4 years. No to Okafor, and as much as I want him no to Noel. Not because they aren't good and wouldn't help- no because competition and winning and the future.

TP The Okafor talk has been driving me crazy too. Good thinking about trading with our division rivals. Hasn't Danny already done enough to help other teams win Championships?

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 01:15:22 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I lean more toward thinking if that the only reason to ever make a trade is because you think you're getting the better end of the deal, so if we make a trade with Philly for one of their bigs (I prefer Noel) Danny would only do so because he thinks whatever we're giving up isn't as good as what we're getting back.

So a trade with a rival doesn't bother me, as long as it's a good trade.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 02:15:52 PM »

Offline budMovin

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
Initially, I was all on board the Okafor train. After giving it more thought I am perplexed as to why the 76ers are almost desperate to give him away. That screams red flags to me. Sounds like there is a whole lot more going on than we know. Especially, when they plan to keep someone who has never played in a game and spent the first 2 seasons on IR over him.
"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
                 -Gladiator

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 02:29:00 PM »

Offline PaulP34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
Initially, I was all on board the Okafor train. After giving it more thought I am perplexed as to why the 76ers are almost desperate to give him away. That screams red flags to me. Sounds like there is a whole lot more going on than we know. Especially, when they plan to keep someone who has never played in a game and spent the first 2 seasons on IR over him.

Yeah like does Okafor got some kind secret injury we don't know about ?

Didn't he get sidelined last year immediately after the trade deadline for the season ?

Yeah I don't trust Philly I'm all set.

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 02:35:50 PM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
I lean more toward thinking if that the only reason to ever make a trade is because you think you're getting the better end of the deal, so if we make a trade with Philly for one of their bigs (I prefer Noel) Danny would only do so because he thinks whatever we're giving up isn't as good as what we're getting back.

Agreed.  The only way to get the better end of the deal with Philly is to make a trade that does not include our #3 pick at all.  If we can pick up Okafor or Noel for other picks, players, cash, and still retain that #3 pick, then it's definitely a win.

Rak

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2016, 03:04:47 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I believe you make trades to improve your team without worrying about how it might help your trade partner. The fact that the Sixers are in the same division really doesn't mean much. Playoff standings aren't tied to division standings anymore.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2016, 06:34:29 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

Agreed.  The only way to get the better end of the deal with Philly is to make a trade that does not include our #3 pick at all.  If we can pick up Okafor or Noel for other picks, players, cash, and still retain that #3 pick, then it's definitely a win.
This. I'd love to get Noel for a package of picks and players that don't include the #3 this year.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2016, 06:56:17 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Didn't he get sidelined last year immediately after the trade deadline for the season ?

They aren't "desperate" to give him away.  If they were desperate, they would have traded him last year.  It just makes sense that one of the bigs needs to go.  They have Simmons, Saric, Embiid (supposedly will be healthy), Noel and Okafor.  They are all PF and C's.   They obviously aren't giving up Simmons.  Saric probably has the least amount of trade value, because of how unclear his game is. They are extremely unlikely to get equal trade value for Embiid.  So it's down to Noel or Okafor.   Okafor probably has the most trade value, so he's the one people expect to be traded.

I mean, if you had a team of Russell Westbrook, Steph Curry, Chris Paul, Damian Lillard and Kyrie Irving... at some point you're going to have to trade one or two of those guards for a SF, PF or C.   It doesn't mean you hate the one you give up.

As far as the idea that trading them the #3 pick makes them better so we should avoid it... I mean, the consensus seems to be that Okafor is better than anyone available at #3.  Some even suggest Okafor would go top 2.  So if they do end up making that trade, they are basically selling low on Okafor just by getting the 3rd pick.  Possibly getting 25-75 cents on the dollar depending on how that prospect turns out.  They probably would rather find a more established talent with less guesswork and bust potential.  If there's a Boston/Philly trade, it's pretty clear that Boston will be the aggressor.  They tried landing Okafor during the draft last year.  They tried landing Okafor at the deadline.  In both instances, Philly was the one to say "no thanks".

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2016, 07:00:05 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

TP for reading my mind.

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2016, 07:03:42 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

They aren't "desperate" to give him away.  If they were desperate, they would have traded him last year.  It just makes sense that one of the bigs needs to go.  They have Simmons, Saric, Embiid (supposedly will be healthy), Noel and Okafor.  They are all PF and C's.   They obviously aren't giving up Simmons.  Saric probably has the least amount of trade value, because of how unclear his game is. They are extremely unlikely to get equal trade value for Embiid.  So it's down to Noel or Okafor.   Okafor probably has the most trade value, so he's the one people expect to be traded.

I mean, if you had a team of Russell Westbrook, Steph Curry, Chris Paul, Damian Lillard and Kyrie Irving... at some point you're going to have to trade one or two of those guards for a SF, PF or C.   It doesn't mean you hate the one you give up.

As far as the idea that trading them the #3 pick makes them better so we should avoid it... I mean, the consensus seems to be that Okafor is better than anyone available at #3.  Some even suggest Okafor would go top 2.  So if they do end up making that trade, they are basically selling low on Okafor just by getting the 3rd pick.  Possibly getting 25-75 cents on the dollar depending on how that prospect turns out.  They probably would rather find a more established talent with less guesswork and bust potential.  If there's a Boston/Philly trade, it's pretty clear that Boston will be the aggressor.  They tried landing Okafor during the draft last year.  They tried landing Okafor at the deadline.  In both instances, Philly was the one to say "no thanks".
Fan consensus on Sixer blog is that they should grab the 3 pick if Danny offers it for Okafor. They refer to him as slow footed. Makes me wonder whether was any truth of Danny offering our Nets pick for him at trade deadline. I am becoming less interested in this trade idea by the day.

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2016, 07:07:19 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Even though I love to make fun of Embiid, I do admit he has more two Upside than Chokeafor. That said they have to move one of Okafor, Noel, and Embiid with the latter having the weakest value right now.

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2016, 07:37:36 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I believe you make trades to improve your team without worrying about how it might help your trade partner. The fact that the Sixers are in the same division really doesn't mean much. Playoff standings aren't tied to division standings anymore.
That is naive. I do not want enable the Sixers.  Neither Okafor nor Noel are good enough to allow them to have the #1 and the #3. I'm with the OP.

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2016, 10:12:00 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
RT. Everyone knows Philly has a huge problem with 3 centers and 2 PF (if they draft Simmons) as their best prospects. Why do them a huge favor when Okafor for #3 is a close trade in terms of value? I know we need a C and Okafor is a good prospect, but Okafor doesn't actually fill our needs, which are 3 point shooting and interior defense. I wouldn't hate a #3 for Okafor swap from our side, but factor in that it is such a good trade for Philly, a division rival, and I don't see the need to make that trade.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out