Author Topic: A Path to a Big Three & Ten-Deep Roster This Offseason  (Read 1150 times)

A Path to a Big Three & Ten-Deep Roster This Offseason
« on: May 28, 2016, 10:25:10 AM »

Offline meangreenmachine

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
June:

Three-team Trade: Third overall pick to New York, Carmelo Anthony to Cleveland (15% bump in pay by virtue of trade, not to mention a lower tax rate along with helping LeBron create a new "superteam"; guessing that Jackson/Hornacek would prefer to build around Porzingis and the third overall pick), Kevin Love to Boston (we know Danny loves him and we know Boston will fall in love with him if he grows into the new McHale under Stevens)

16, 23, 31, 35 to Orlando for 11 (guessing Vogel would love to bring in a number of his own young guys). We select Jakob Pöltl (otherwise, Utah will surely snatch him up at 12). Remaining second-rounders are used on draft-and-stash guys, or preferably traded for future pick(s) if possible.

July:

Take the option on Johnson and have him help Thomas recruit Bismack Biyombo away from Toronto, et al.

Sign The Biz, a guy who may develop into the next Dikembe Mutumbo (he's still only 23!), will shore up our front court at long last, and gave Cleveland headaches throughout the ECF.

Resign Turner for depth with promises of him likely being our sixth man (along with a shot to compete for a starting spot with Crowder).

Trade Bradley, Brooklyn '17 and Brooklyn '18 for Jimmy Butler (when you consider the value of Bradley's contract along with the strong possibility of these two picks being in the lottery, the Bulls might bite, particularly if Butler demands a trade and likes the idea of joining his buddy IT in Boston).

-------------------------

New Big Three (The B-L-T, if you will): Butler, Love, Thomas (if anybody can make this the core of a championship contender, it's Stevens)

Ten-Deep Depth (Hard to see most any team beating this bench!):

1: Thomas/Smart
2: Butler/Smart/Turner
3: Crowder/Turner
4: Love/Johnson/Olynyk
5: Biyombo/Pöltl/Olynyk

THIS is how we go from the middle of the pack to 1st or 2nd in the Eastern Conference...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 10:33:31 AM by meangreenmachine »

Re: A Path to a Big Three & Ten-Deep Roster This Offseason
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 11:04:48 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I like it man. TP.

I don't know about Biyombo as a full time starting C, and I think he's going to get waaay overpaid, so I don't think we could actually afford him.
I think there would be better options at C for us if we were slightly more patient and just stuck with Amir until the right guy came along.
I don't know if I'd give up that much to move to #11 because I like a lot of guys inthat #8 to #25 range, but it's a solid idea. I'd probably prefer to draft Taurean Prince around#20 or a project PF like Chriss or Deytona Davis if we consolidated and moved up, but that's just my personal opinion.

I'm not sure if this team could beat the Warriors or OKC, but Stevens brilliant coaching and some solid three point shooting we'd have a punchers chance.

Having some other studs around IT would give him a lot more room to move in the playoffs.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 11:22:52 AM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
First or second? Yes..in the Atlantic Division
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 01:19:56 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
I really have no interest in Kevin Love.  I wanted him when we had Rondo and thought we were 1 player away from contending.  That was when the only completion was Miami with an aging injured Wad and injured Bosh.  Now it’s a vastly different league.  Love is really only semi effective as the #3 guy, and in Minnesota he proved that he couldn’t get it done as the # 1 guy.  We are a defensive team and he is a turn style on D.   We complained at how Sully got owned in the paint and he plays much better D than Love.  If you watched how Teague this year and Irving last year just shot over Thomas like he wasn’t there and how doubling him with height effectively shut him down (we only won when turner ran the point and Thomas was the SG), you’d know that we need a full sized PG before we are ready to win it all.   

We need an assassin from the wing a deadeye shooter with size and athleticism Such a player (Jonathan Isaac) is easily attainable with a top 5 pick in 2017, so I would not trade the right to swap with Brooklyn for anyone that would reasonably be available for a package of bench talent and that pick.   Butler is not available, he is going to stay in Chicago and they will try and spend some of the new giant cap on free agents. 

There are a lot of good free agents that can make this team better.   We need to stop trying to trade for players based on who they used to be and look at players for who they are now and who we think they will be.  I would do a sign and trade for Harrison Barns giving up Bradley and two second rounders, and I’d over pay for him because he is young, talented, we have the money, and we have to spend the money.   No one wants a 6’9 center with crappy stats and limited playing time, Right?  But Toronto rolled the dice as a back up.  Now who wouldn’t want Biyombo for what they could have paid last year.  If we gave him big money then this board would have gone nuts, now I bet a lot of people would gladly max him out.   Rember when everyone wanted to give away crazy picks and Sullenger for Gortat?  We’re most likely going to move on from Sully but if we made that move we wouldn’t have Smart now.  Plus the only reason Sully isn’t reaching his full potential is his diet and conditioning.  He has the size and talent he is just making bad choices.  We made the right decision to go after Gortat.  Remember when people thought Gobert was too big a risk?  You have to take chances on up side.  Dallas traded for the Rondo that used to be and got burned.  Brooklyn traded for the KG and Peirce that used to be and got burned.   With the exception of Miami, the Lakers when they got Shaq, and now maybe Cleveland, championship teams are built through the draft.  Teams draft their super star in the lottery and build from there.  We are about to embark on three years of top five picks because Brooklyn made a stupid trade.   I am willing to wait three years to build a dynasty.

2016 = We look at big men.
Dragan Bender at # 3; try and trade up for Deyonta Davis or Jakob Poeltl; role the dice on Damian Jones or AJ Hammons and see if we get lucky; draft and stash Zhou Qi or Ante Zizic and see if we get lucky.

2017 = We get our SF.
Jonathan Isaac is the real deal and we can get him with the Brooklyn pick if its top 5, but if it ends up #1 we could get Josh Jackson.

2018 = Perhaps a full sized PG?