Would you make the trade

Yes. We get are Young Defensive Center.
10 (8.7%)
No too much.
95 (82.6%)
I'd do it for Smart and 23 and 31
10 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 115

Author Topic: Poll: Trade Smart 16 and 23 for Noel.  (Read 11663 times)

Re: Poll: Trade Smart 16 and 23 for Noel.
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2016, 02:25:48 PM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
You make the deal 101 times out of 100

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2016, 03:14:32 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I'd rather have Smart than Noel. Smart is a player the team really likes and who wants to be here. Noel is a player Philly has excess of at his position, who doesn't want to be there.

I understand people like Noel more than Smart because a defensive big is valuable. However, Boston has more leverage in the situation and thus should not be giving up Smart and picks.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2016, 07:39:18 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Smart, 16 and 23 for Okafor? I'd do that tomorrow.

I have zero interest in No Knees Noel. We have more than enough bricklayers, thank you. Get me someone who can score the basketball.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2016, 07:41:14 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
God no.  Wouldn't trade Smart straight up for Noel.  Honestly, I wouldn't trade Jordan Mickey for Noel and I'm not exaggerating.

« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2016, 08:18:31 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I think given Noel's defensive versatility, size and youth, he's worth more than Smart, mostly because Smart didn't really develop offensively this year.

Pairing Noel with a stretch 4 like Bender is an intriguing developing frontcourt for us, and leaves us in decent shape at the 1-3 spots. Heck, if we sign Paul Gasol for next year and jettison Sully and Amir we'd have a pretty tough and balanced starting 5 in the East, too.

I get the concern about Noel's salary, but we have a full year to watch him develop (or not) before committing to him.

« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2016, 08:33:37 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm just not super confident Noel will ever be a strong enough finisher and overall offensive player to be a big minutes starter.

And if all you're getting is a rim protector for 24-28 minutes a game, that's nice, but not worth giving up multiple picks plus a nice defensive player with modest upside.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2016, 08:35:34 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Way too much for Noel.

So what's fair value for Noel then. Kelly Rozier, Young 16 for him? Don't think that's enough myself.

To be honest with you I'm not convinced Noel is a great fit for the Celts given his offensive limitations, and I don't know if the Celts really have pieces that would entice the Sixers.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2016, 08:38:51 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Not a fan of Noel I feel like he's reached his peak or close to it. He's great at Defense but I'm not trading smart for him.

« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2016, 08:54:01 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
It would be foolish to decimate are assets just for a role player. Pass.

« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2016, 11:01:03 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2016, 06:15:26 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
God no.  Wouldn't trade Smart straight up for Noel.  Honestly, I wouldn't trade Jordan Mickey for Noel and I'm not exaggerating.

See how people love Mickey... :)

If it were just the 16 and 23 for Noel, I would be up for it. Throwing in Smart pushes the cost too high. Pity the process is over, and the Sixers probably wouldn't take a deal like that under the Colangelos.

Anyway I have suggested elsewhere that the Cs could get assets like Noel in exchange for one or two of our grizzled vets. maybe they'll bite on jerebko and 2nd rounders, or Zeller and picks. Or Amir Johnson for Noel and Filler. I think that is how desperate they are to cease being total bottom feeders
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2016, 06:41:50 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
You make the deal 101 times out of 100

Not necessarily.

Noel win shares last year: 3.0
Smart win shares last year: 2.9
Noel win shares/per 48: .074
Smart win shares/per 48: .083
Noel VORP: 1.3
Smart VORP: 1.1

By most metrics Smart is about as valuable as Noel. Now there's an axiom in the NBA that you want the good big man over the good little man. There's a premium on size. So even up you make that trade every time if other things are close to equal (like leadership, clubhouse personality, etc.). But when you throw in the 16 and the 23? Now the price is pretty lopsided.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen but it's certainly not a sure thing. That's a high price to pay for the premium of size. It all depends on someone's projections of player development, team needs and so forth. Personally, I'd do Smart +23 but not 16 because I see that mid 1st pick as too valuable. Those mid-1st have been Rozier, Olynyk, Sullinger, Bradley and Jefferson during Ainge's tenure. That's a pretty decent track record and I generally wouldn't include any of those guys along with Smart and 23 for Noel.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2016, 07:14:01 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
I wouldn't trade Smart for Noel. Smart will be special in this league.

- LilRip

« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2016, 10:17:28 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199

See how people love Mickey... :)

If it were just the 16 and 23 for Noel, I would be up for it. Throwing in Smart pushes the cost too high. Pity the process is over, and the Sixers probably wouldn't take a deal like that under the Colangelos.

Anyway I have suggested elsewhere that the Cs could get assets like Noel in exchange for one or two of our grizzled vets. maybe they'll bite on jerebko and 2nd rounders, or Zeller and picks. Or Amir Johnson for Noel and Filler. I think that is how desperate they are to cease being total bottom feeders
It's not so much that I love Mickey, it's just that I do not value Noel at all.  ~7 footers who have no discernible skill apart from altering shots are not the way to championship basketball.  Sean Bradley is not my vision of a championship center.

« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2016, 10:25:06 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
Why is Noel more valuable than Smart? For now they're both strictly one-way players with maybe the potential to be a bit more.  Smart has one more year on his Rookie contract, which is huge: people are going to love Noel a lot less if we're paying him 20m a year in 2017.

I keep hearing that Noel's defensive versatility makes him a more valuable commodity, but which is rarer - a big man who can defend the post and credibly switch on to perimeter players or a PG who can defend the 1,2,3 and even the 4 in an emergency.  Defensive big men may be generally more valuable than defensive guards, but but defensive guards who can defend four positions like Marcus Smart are much harder to find.

Great words from a great man