Would you make the trade

Yes. We get are Young Defensive Center.
10 (8.7%)
No too much.
95 (82.6%)
I'd do it for Smart and 23 and 31
10 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 115

Author Topic: Poll: Trade Smart 16 and 23 for Noel.  (Read 11664 times)

Poll: Trade Smart 16 and 23 for Noel.
« on: May 28, 2016, 01:26:18 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Both elite defenders. Neither can score well right now. Noel is a Center/PF Smart can guard three positions and Milsap lol.

If Colangelo is demanding 16,23 and Smart do you pull the trigger.

Re: Poll: Trade Smart 16 and 23 for Noel.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 01:32:56 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Then if we can make that Phoenix trade that would be fantastic.

Noel Amir
 Kelly Sabonis
 Crowder Turner
 Jamal Murray Bradley
 Thomas Rozier

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 01:40:43 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Smart>Noel

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 01:51:16 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
I say NO to basically any Noel deal involving any of our best chips.

If we get Nerlens Noel, many  here will soon afterwards be complaining why we made the deal. I guarantee it. He is not going to be helpful for us. Sure, defense and all. We get it. But what else? In my opinion he would be next to useless on offense for us. He can't shoot, doesn't have a good post game, can't make his own shot. Is basically a lob and outback guy. And I don't see that changing anytime soon.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 01:51:19 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Both elite defenders. Neither can score well right now. Noel is a Center/PF Smart can guard three positions and Milsap lol.

Colangelo laughs and hangs up the phone on any offer that doesn't include the #3.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 01:51:43 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

Colangelo laughs and hangs up the phone on any offer that doesn't include the #3.

And I would never even make the call. smh.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 01:51:44 AM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
Most Celtic's fans love Smart I think but if he is not a scorer. Even with his defence, it is difficult to do much except play him off the bench and potentially reduce scoring rate (for both teams). Assuming your not breaking up IT and AB, Smart could be value in a trade.

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2016, 02:12:52 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Play Noel at center and he's better offensively than you think. Not a shooter, obviously... but 14 points on 55% FG last year when he plays the right position on the court. That said, why trade the guard equivalent plus other assets with more years of control?

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2016, 02:28:54 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
I say NO to basically any Noel deal involving any of our best chips.

If we get Nerlens Noel, many  here will soon afterwards be complaining why we made the deal. I guarantee it. He is not going to be helpful for us. Sure, defense and all. We get it. But what else? In my opinion he would be next to useless on offense for us. He can't shoot, doesn't have a good post game, can't make his own shot. Is basically a lob and outback guy. And I don't see that changing anytime soon.

An Outback guy? You mean No rules just right Outback right, I love that steakhouse. JK. Tp all Boston Always enjoy your posts.

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2016, 02:30:58 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

You gotta be kidding me. Good luck doing better than that for Noel, absolutely no way is he worth the #3 pick. Ainge laughs harder at him Hahaha!!!

You do realize that both were the 6th pick in the draft right, there basically the same age. Neither one has set the league on fire but both have shown promise.

Philly needs to balance their roster with guards while we need to balance ours with Young  bigs.

#16 in this draft is a good pick. Sabonis, Deyonta Davis, Valentine, Damion Jones, Skal, one of those guys at least will be available. Plus#23 more than fair.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 02:41:15 AM by KG Living Legend »

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2016, 02:52:59 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Yes, I would do this.

It would be sad to see Smart go, but we have a team that is filled with young quality guards (Thomas, Bradley, Rozier) and there are three outstanding guard prospects in the draft who all probably have a significantly higher ceiling then Smart (Murray, Hield, Dunn) so it wouldn't be difficult at all to replace what Smart gives us.

Finally, Nerlens Noel may not have a huge amount of offensive potential, but at 21 years of age he is already possibly a top 5 defensive big and is already talented enough on that end of the court to be a defensive anchor for a contender.  He has the potential to one day be the best defensive player in the NBA.

On top of that is that he is not only a great defensive player, he's also an incredibly versatile one.  He has the height and length (7'0" and 7'5" wingspan) to defend against the biggest of NBA players, and he has the lateral quickness and athleticism to stick with quicker wings on the perimeter.  That type of defensive versatility is incredibly valuable in this league. 

Add the fact that he can hold his own on the boards combined with the fact that he should improve to some degree offensively (he actually shot similar percentages in the paint and from midrange as Okafor did this year) and there's no way I could say no to that.

I love Smart as a player, but his strengths are his intangibles rather than his actual talents.  He's a poor shooter, he's an average passer and ball handler, and while his defence is very good it isn't as 'game changing' as Celtics fans like to indicate.  Noel is a significantly greater impact player on the defensive end then Smart is.

Smart has potential to become a good player sure - that's why the Sixers might actually consider the idea.  If he didn't have that potential, they would laugh at us. 

I'm one of those who strongly believes Noel has more upside then Okafor does in terms of his ability to be an all-round impact guy.

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2016, 02:56:15 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Hell no!
Waaay too much.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2016, 02:56:40 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

You gotta be kidding me. Good luck doing better than that for Noel, absolutely no way is he worth the #3 pick. Ainge laughs harder at him Hahaha!!!

You do realize that both were the 6th pick in the draft right, there basically the same age. Neither one has set the league on fire but both have shown promise.

Philly needs to balance their roster with guards while we need to balance ours with Young  bigs.

#16 in this draft is a good pick. Sabonis, Deyonta Davis, Valentine, Damion Jones, Skal, one of those guys at least will be available. Plus#23 more than fair.

Noel was the #6 pick because of his injury concerns - every team knew they he was likely to miss his entire rookie season, and he STILL went #6.  I remember that draft very well, and Noel was basically seen as the only guy in that entire draft who was a legitimately special talent.

He would have been an absolute unanimous #1 pick if not for his well documented health concern(s). 

After missing his rookie year he had a perfectly healthy second season and doesn't seem to show any signs of further risks, so there is no reason to view him as any less then a top 3 talent from his draft.

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2016, 03:12:53 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
If you redraft the 2013 class, Noel likely goes #1 overall.

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2016, 06:19:38 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
If you redraft the 2013 class, Noel likely goes #1 overall.

He does but with that draft class it isn't saying much...