Author Topic: Build your best 76ers team next year.  (Read 3142 times)

Re: Build your best 76ers team next year.
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2016, 01:13:16 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
What is the obsession with the ******' 76ers? It's all this board talks about.

The sixers are basically a blank slate from a rebuilding perspective, which is what makes it so fun to imagine how you would approach the challenge.

It'll be fun to see how Colangelo decides to make his mark in year one. Could be impressive, or it could be a tire fire.
I get that, but I certainly don't find it as "fun" as many posters here to imagine how good the Lakers and Sixers could be. I find it much more fun imagining how the Cs can become great and how those teams could crash and burn
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2016, 01:32:59 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Philly is an ideal situation for a GM.  Tons of cap space, tons of prospects and picks.  They set that team up beautifully.

I think you have to shop everyone.  There's no real team there yet. Just assets.  Clearly they need guards and less centers.  The thing is, nobody here is really sure what the trade value is of some of these prospects.  There's a wide range of opinions.  So while I could say "trade Noel for smart" or "trade Okafor for 3", we really have no idea of either team is truly interested in doing that.   For all we know, they could trade Okafor for jimmy butler or trade Noel for Paul George.   We have no clue.

Here's what I do know.  If I were in charge of Philly, I'd probably take none of the Celtic offers.  I'd have little interest in trading one of the bigs for Marcus smart.  Smart has potential, but he also is offensively incompetent so far and might cap out as a role player. No thank you.   I'd also have very little interest in the 3rd pick.  There's high bust potential with that pick. I'd much rather have a guarantee.  Instead, I'd be looking at what kind of established talent can be acquired.

Chad ford has recently suggested Philly could trade Okafor and the future 2017 laker pick for #2.  At least with that you'd be able to get both Ingram and Simmons.  A better idea might be the one some Suns fans came up with.  The Suns fans said they were willing to trade both Brandon knight and the #4 pick for Okafor.  I think either knight or Bledsoe would be a nice option, because they have already proven to be quality point guards. 

I'd look towards moving one of the bigs, like Noel, to the bucks for one of their small forwards.  They have a log jam at SF of Giannis, Parker and Middleton.   Any one of those guys would be a huge help in philly and are less risky than acquiring an unknown pick (#3) or sketchy prospect (Marcus smart).  Could you trade Noel for Middleton or Parker ?  Depends if the Bucks need an elite defensive big man prospect.

Actually, I'd consider trading Okafor straight up for d'Angelo Russell if landing a prospect was essential.  Russell has already shown a ton of potential and a better prospect than smart or probably anyone available at 3.  Lakers love Okafor and probably wouldn't mind having a do-over and just penciling in clarkson as PG.

What's the market for saric?  Some Suns fans said they would trade knight straight up for him.  No idea what his trade value is. 

With a new GM in charge and a more balanced roster, could philly be a major player in free agency?  No team has more cap space.

Who knows. I guess if we were just going off random guesstimating and reaches, we'd say they could have a team of Brandon Knight, 4th pick (hield/Murray), jabari Parker, Ben Simmons, Joel embiid and Dario Saric off the bench with something like 70 million in cap space to target some vets like horford, luol deng, pau gasol, etc.   They also should feel free to make major offers to multiple restricted free agents like Harrison Barnes without concern of locking up cap space for a few days. They have so much of it.

If I were them, I definitely stay young and build around Simmons/Ingram, but the difference will be they can immediately make changes to build a balanced roster and actually pay for some stabilizing vets as opposed to previous seasons where the goal was to be as bad as possible, openly tank by adding redundant prospects, and outright refusing to sign veterans because it would ruin their chance at that top pick.  Clearly this method has produced their best chance at a superstar, but now it's time to build a team and culture that can blossom.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 01:41:11 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2016, 01:40:57 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Trade Okafor and #1 to the Lakers for Deangelo Russell and #2. Draft Brandon Ingram #2.

Next year's starting lineup is Russell, Ingram, Covington, Saric, Noel.

They might not win much in 2017 but I like the length and shooting of that team and they can grow together.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2016, 02:14:46 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
First off, I would see if Phoenix has interest in Okafor or Noel, and try to get back Bledsoe or Knight.

Use the first pick on Simmons.

Make contract offers to players that an shoot like Bazemore and Barnes. Make max offers to all the quality restricted free agents and hope a team doesn't match.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2016, 02:17:01 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think my basic plan would be:

Draft Simmons

Trade Okafor or Noel to get a second top 5 pick and take Murray

Use the rest of my picks on four year guards or wings... Guys with experience and demonstrated leadership.

In free agency, overpay to sign a point guard who can run the offense and shoot off the ball. Just need somebody to serve as training wheels for Simmons.

I'd also try to sign a couple veteran leader types. Guys who would play ten to twenty minutes. Tayshaun Prince, Vince Carter sorta guys.

My objectives for next season would be to win twenty five games, give Ben Simmons free reign to learn how to be a primary playmaker in the NBA, figure out if Dario Saric is a player, and start building a positive culture.

The future would be Simmons, Murray, Embiid/Noel, and whoever I take in the top ten next year with my own pick and the Lakers pick.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2016, 03:43:20 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
As a great poster here once said
Step 1: get ibaka
Step 2: ????
Step 3: profit!!!!

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2016, 09:21:31 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
(1) Draft Ben Simmons @ #1
(2) Trade J.Okafor. I like the Jimmy Butler idea. I think Chicago would do that. I also like the idea of trading J.Okafor for the #3 pick or maybe even #5 or #6 if Kris Dunn is still on the board. I am going to go with the Jimmy Butler idea.
(3) Noel is my center
(4) Jeff Teague and Nic Batum are my two FA targets. I offer both max contracts. I think they take the money because it'll be a big overpay.

PG: Jeff Teague
SG: Jimmy Butler
SF: Nic Batum
PF: Ben Simmons
 C: Nerlens Noel

I still have Embiid and Saric as trade assets plus two late firsts which I think they can get future rotation players from. Plus Covington. Ish Smith can be a backup PG. Carl Landry would be a good guy to keep.

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2016, 10:36:43 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
(1) Draft Ben Simmons @ #1
(2) Trade J.Okafor. I like the Jimmy Butler idea. I think Chicago would do that. I also like the idea of trading J.Okafor for the #3 pick or maybe even #5 or #6 if Kris Dunn is still on the board. I am going to go with the Jimmy Butler idea.
(3) Noel is my center
(4) Jeff Teague and Nic Batum are my two FA targets. I offer both max contracts. I think they take the money because it'll be a big overpay.

PG: Jeff Teague
SG: Jimmy Butler
SF: Nic Batum
PF: Ben Simmons
 C: Nerlens Noel

I still have Embiid and Saric as trade assets plus two late firsts which I think they can get future rotation players from. Plus Covington. Ish Smith can be a backup PG. Carl Landry would be a good guy to keep.
Big TP excellent and possible. You should have been hired as gm.